AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Antenna?  (Read 6554 times)

Markus48

Antenna?
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »

When i first purchased Radar box a couple years ago
I used stock antenna that came with it and averaged 40-50
aircraft at a time.
  I then added outdoor aerial and pre-amp and averaged
about 90 hits at a time.
 Now due to roof construction I'm temporarily using stock indoor
antenna again and only getting few hits at a time.
  Did past years of outdoor antenna use and pre-amp desensitize my box?
  Is that possible?
  Just wondering if anyone else had same.

Mark
 Maryland

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »
Nope that shouldn't have an affect. Check whether the leads have come loose or whether its fully connecting with the box (sometimes the wire inside comes loose)
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Markus48

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:05 AM »
Nope that shouldn't have an affect. Check whether the leads have come loose or whether its fully connecting with the box (sometimes the wire inside comes loose)

Yes must be internal break possibly on stock aerial.
 I tried plugging in other coax cable to box and get better results than antenna.

Thanks,will wait till I get roof aerial back up and running for sure test.

Mark

flybhx

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »
Just resurrecting this one. I have recently aquired a used radarbox, mainly it must be said for use on the road. I find when running it with the stock antenna that it only picks up aircraft within about 10 miles of me yet the sbs box I use for home use aquires aircraft at up to 40 miles. Swapping antenna between them makes no difference. Any tips on increasing the range on the side where I have good line of sight please?

air7677

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
Just resurrecting this one. I have recently aquired a used radarbox, mainly it must be said for use on the road. I find when running it with the stock antenna that it only picks up aircraft within about 10 miles of me yet the sbs box I use for home use aquires aircraft at up to 40 miles. Swapping antenna between them makes no difference. Any tips on increasing the range on the side where I have good line of sight please?
Hi.
I have a laptop on my knee and the airnav box on floor, and the supplied aerial
on dashboard, i get up to 200miles or more depending on what elevation the road is.
S.F
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:48:25 PM by air7677 »

flybhx

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
I'll have t take the car out to the top of a hill one day and se what I get. The house is in a dip but I should be getting more than I do. Would a larger piece of metal as a ground plane help?

bratters

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
Would a larger piece of metal as a ground plane help?

Unlikely to make much difference. 10 mile range sounds well down (almost regardless of your topography)
Best get it checked out.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »
Yes, sounds like a faulty box - saw filter problem maybe.

RobinB

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:18:25 PM »
I'll have t take the car out to the top of a hill one day and se what I get. The house is in a dip but I should be getting more than I do. Would a larger piece of metal as a ground plane help?

The roof of car is more than big enough :-)

flybhx

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 04:56:49 PM »
thanks for the advice folks, be nice if the skies cleared and I can go out and give it a try in the open before i have to get surfery on it.

flybhx

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:59:08 AM »
took the box out to Birmingham airport for a short time this morning and was getting about 20 hits up to a range of just over 50 miles from the standard antenna on the car. There are quite a few buildings around. Does that sound a bit more reasonable before I consider having to spend money on it.

air7677

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »
took the box out to Birmingham airport for a short time this morning and was getting about 20 hits up to a range of just over 50 miles from the standard antenna on the car. There are quite a few buildings around. Does that sound a bit more reasonable before I consider having to spend money on it.

To me as i take my airnav in my car i would say no, unless your completely surrounded by buildings you should be getting a lot more range than that.

bratters

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »

You really should try open ground (& high if possible) to negate the effect of buildings. Having said that, it doesn't sound too clever to me and I would have it checked over.

The shop that supplied it can probably run a few tests for you with a different aerial. Airnav offer (and honour) a two year warranty on the boxes so if is bust but still under guarantee you will have nothing to pay.

flybhx

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 10:42:09 AM »
Thanks for that, as its second hand I'm not sure where I would stand in terms of the warranty.

flybhx

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 10:54:25 PM »
quick response received from support - send it in for checks. Thanks for telling me about the warranty Bratters