AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AirNav RadarBox 2008 - New Version RELEASED  (Read 63562 times)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: AirNav RadarBox 2008 - New Version RELEASED
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
RoadRunner,

Your computer will easily handle the full features. So far the only issue we have had that you describe is when you are not connected to the net or having connection problems. Was that the case with you earlier?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Spaice

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »
Hi Guys,

Downloaded the new software, and I have to say great work, all seems to work well so far and the new features are good, although should have been there in the first place, particularly the database and export facilities.  Keep up the good work, and thanks to all those that have been beta testing and providing Airnav the feedback that helped the develepment team provide us with what we wanted.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2008, 08:11:52 PM »
Just one point for AirNav. I do not want, or expect to have to do such as turning off certain aspects of 2008 just to get it to run. My PC is twice as fast as the laptop that it used to run on and with twice the RAM - the only unknown for me is this Vista system.......

This is my main Pc which must be a couple of years old now.  Nothing special about it other than a fairly new graphics card and 1 GB of Ram.  It run RadarBox very nicely thanks.  I tend to have the Refresh rate at 4000 miliseconds as I think that it gives a more realistic display.

Where I do have problems, is when my internet connection goes down, or hesitates.  RadarBox runs excellently on my laptop without an internet connection.  I think it's that grey area when you are running RadarBox with Internet, and then the connection glitches and you get problems.

Spaice

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »
I notice that the dist/NM has dissapeared from the bottom of the reporter screen.  It was displayed under the numer Msgs/Sec.  I have checked preferences but unable to locate a way to turn the feature on, or I could be missing something here, it's been a long day.

Allocator

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »
I notice that the dist/NM has dissapeared from the bottom of the reporter screen.  It was displayed under the numer Msgs/Sec.  I have checked preferences but unable to locate a way to turn the feature on, or I could be missing something here, it's been a long day.

I don't remember that - do you mean the reporter screen, or at the bottom of the RadarBox window?

You can see the range and bearing of aircraft with positions in the aircraft list if set in Preferences

EINN-07

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »
A few other things that need to be checked in order to speed up RB operation that worked very well for me with V1.3 :

Have a good look at the 'Processes' tab on Task Manager. Don't just look at what RB is using. I found out that a recent Windows automatic update had 'very kindly' and without my knowledge added a program called 'Windows Defender' which is a full blown Internet security and AV program.
Prior to this I had the dreaded ( yellow and black ) AV and Internet Security application running. The two of these applications were fighting for RAM and double - double checking everything that went on between the PC and the 'net.

The 'Yellow and Black' application recently offered an upgrade to the 2008 package FOC prior to my subscription ending. When I tried to upgrade I ended up with neither the 2007 verison NOR(ton) the 2008 version. They should contact Airnav to see how to offer a glitch free upgrade !!

Anyway, after researching AV packages I got rid of both Defender and the other and bought a new ultra-low-RAM-using AV and Internet security package which has speeded up my PC no end.

In addition if your PC is anything over a year old it is well worth getting a PC tune up package. They cost buttons and will give a good spring clean to your PC. This will give a significant boost to performance.

Put the two of these together and I ended up with a 5 year old PC with 256mB of RAM running XP sp2  that is more than happy with Radarbox.

This is what worked for me. Caveat Emptor and all that.

Spaice

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2008, 08:55:59 PM »
At the bottom of the Radarbox Window, where the LAt/Long and Msgs are displayed, on the previous version if I highlighted one of the aircraft in the radar window, it would display distance / NM from my home location.

FFM

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2008, 08:57:41 PM »
I do have the same problem as steveb25 and roadrunner. I have set the update intervall to 5000 ms and still it does take a long time to open any menu - sometimes over 20 seconds...
I am using XP, 1,8 Mhz CPU

FFM

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »
How can the feature Spaice is describing be turned on?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2008, 09:04:21 PM »
FFM,

Can you confirm you are not connected to the internet when these issues occur?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

FFM

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »
Yes, I am not connected to the internet and I have unchecked share network flights...
Is there anything else I can tune to speed up the application?

Allocator

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »
Yes, I am not connected to the internet and I have unchecked share network flights...
Is there anything else I can tune to speed up the application?

Are you running any other programs at the same time?  How much RAM do you have?

FFM

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »
No other programs are running - except the OS.
The PC does have only 256 RAM. Is that a problem?

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »
RoadRunner,

Your computer will easily handle the full features. So far the only issue we have had that you describe is when you are not connected to the net or having connection problems. Was that the case with you earlier?

No the problem with hanging up occurred while I was connected to the Network and downloading pictures. I have subsequently deleted 2008 and V1.3 and reloaded 2008 and it appears to be behaving.  I have NTL broadband 20mb connection and regularly have SBS1 running on one PC with Planeplotter and radarbox on the new PC (prior to that v1.3 on laptop) all via the same modem.

I will let it run for a few more hours and see if anything occurs and if it does I will try and note everything that is running at the time.

Can you confirm that I must always connect as administrator with this latest, and all future versions of RB ? Is it a Vista issue ?

Allocator

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
No other programs are running - except the OS.
The PC does have only 256 RAM. Is that a problem?

256 mb RAM might be a bit tight, your PC will have to read and write to the hard disk quite often and this will slow everything down.  How much space do you have left on your hard drive?

Memory is very cheap right now, and you can never have enough!  Of course, you have to figure out just what type you need which I always find a bit of a pain as they keep changing the size/sockts/type.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:26:50 PM by Allocator »