AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why not make RadarBox Software Opensource?  (Read 3655 times)

Henning

Why not make RadarBox Software Opensource?
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »
When I read all the entries in this forum and when I see how many very creative people are developing several add-ons for Radarbox or similar products, I ask myself why you don't make the Radarbox Software (or parts of it) open source or provide an API to it.
I would like to help you programming new features for the software and I think many others would like to as well. So that could be a good way for you to use the creativeness and the manpower of all these people.
There are so many features I'd like to develop when I even think about it only for a short time.

I see a lot of positive aspects:
- many ideas for new features
- faster bugfixes
- very innovative features based on the communities ideas that make your software better then competitors software

What do you think about this idea?

air7677

Re: Why not make RadarBox Software Opensource?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »
I do not like the idea of third party software, like sbs that's why i went for all in one box
airnav, as for airnav opening their software box i do not think so,  but i agree their is very good
developers and entrepreneurs on this site.

bratters

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »
I do not like the idea of third party software, like sbs that's why i went for all in one box.

I tend to agree with you. Technical simplicity for the end user is one of the big benefits of the Radarbox.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
I tend to agree with you. Technical simplicity for the end user is one of the big benefits of the Radarbox.

It's horses for courses.

For 95%+ of RadarBox users, the functionality that you get out-of-the-box is perfectly adequate.

But speaking as a developer, I agree with the OP that any Mode S receiver with aspirations to be more than simply an enthusiast's toy needs a proper API which gives access to the data flow at all levels and thereby allows workarounds for some of the current bugs to be developed.

Personally, I'm not bothered about RB code being open source as I'm not interested in integrating additional functionality within the RB application, but I can see that could appeal to some.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

imropes

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 03:36:31 PM »
I have to go along with this. Its why i got one,easy to use,no add ons

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:05:04 PM »
It is important to underline that despite being  an out-of-the-box package, RadarBox is 100% compatible with all SBS apps.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 04:20:30 PM »
It is important to underline that despite being an out-of-the-box package, RadarBox is 100% compatible with all SBS apps.

Yes, you keep telling us that, even though you know it's not true.

RadarBox is 100% compatible with those SBS add-ons that use the port 30003 output.

Granted, that's what most SBS add-ons use, but by no means all of them.

RadarBox isn't compatible with SBS add-ons that interact (perfectly legitimately) with the BaseStation database (e.g. Active Display, and some of the database vendors' utilities), nor with those that use the raw packet data (such PlanePlotter MLat and some of the Jetvision stuff).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 04:34:04 PM »
Almost all of them. :-)