AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Netbook for Radarbox  (Read 6010 times)

DaveG

Netbook for Radarbox
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »
Thinking about ditching my PC which only runs Radarbox and putting it onto a netbook, does anyone current use a netbook with Radarbox and can give advices and anything to watch for in the purchase, recommendation for model moist welcome.

Cheers
Dave
Cornwall, UK

Northern Watch

Re: Netbook for Radarbox
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
Hi Dave

I have been running RB on an Asus 1005HA now for almost a year with very few problems.  Operating system is windows XP, although I think the new ones come with Win 7. It has an Atom processor like most netbooks so do not expect super fast operation.  I have upgraded it to a 2GB Ram but this has not made a significant differance to RB operation.  One obvious thing is the screen size and there are various threads on what resolution to select to get the best setup on the screen.  The ASUS came with an 8 hour battery but running RB, I normally get about 5 hours even less if you use a dondle for internet connection.   I recently bought an extended battery and this gives me about 8 hours. I recently downloaded the latest outlines file and this has slowed the opening sequence up quiet a bit, I plan to cut down the amount of files in the folder to see if this improves the situation. If I can help further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Rgds

Keith

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross

neroon79

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
I use a samsung NC10 as RB 24/7 Homestation/Server since December 2009. Including the Antenna pre Amp I have an average Power consumption of approximately 20W, makes 175kWh respectively more or less 40EUR per year. I consider this a 'tolerable' amount of money.

During Main times (130+ AC in MyFlights) the CPU usage is constantly at about 40%.  Running RB Software and doing something else on the Netbook is sometimes not working very well. I recently did a test with RB 4.03 in 3D mode on my NC10. Result: Forget it.

Furthermore I use a second NC10 for mobile RB activities. On the day of the Flight training tour of D-AIMA I took my NC10 to EDDV and the Akku ran the NC10 for about 5h -with HSDPA Internet Access running and Screen brightness @50%.
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

RobinB

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
Also have the asus 1005ha.

running xp and 2gb ram.

runs ok, but as other poster said the only problem is preferences screen is too large for screen. (airnav aware and hopefully do a fix soon)

I just tab through the selections where I think i select OK and then press return. (its only the OK, apply & cancel that cannot be seen).

it works and cheap and means I can use my other laptop anywhere I want.

DaveG

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
Thanks for info chaps, gives me a couple to go and look at.
Cornwall, UK

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:54:30 PM »
recommendation for model moist welcome.

Cheers
Dave

You thinking of going under water with it pal?

:-)

Rich

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:06:06 PM »
Don`t need to in Cornwall.  :-)
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

DaveG

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
lol, well it has been damp down here today.
Cornwall, UK

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 05:51:57 PM »
.......but what a fantastic day for RNAS Culdrose, with XH558 making a most welcome, but fleeting visit.    A big Well Done and thank you to the 'Vulcan to the Sky' crew, for getting that lovely plane repaired and down to Cornwall, even without being parked up or taking off, which would have been the cream (obviously Rodda's Clotted) on the cake.   Watching it from our garden some 5 miles away, the sounds and sights were fantastic, had a Spitfire circling overhead for some 20 minutes, I assume, waiting for a slightly delayed dsiplay slot.

"Thunder in the Sky" describes the Vulcan well!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:54:35 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!