anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I do not see squawk Moscow FIR  (Read 15170 times)

LiveATC

I do not see squawk Moscow FIR
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
I do not see squawk  Moscow FIR

Version 3.13 Windows XP
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:46:07 PM by LiveATC »

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
Re: I do not see squawk
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
Hi, try putting your curser on the edge and pulling to the right to make the view larger, squak and company should then show.
Good luck,   Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

Chris11

Re: I do not see squawk Moscow FIR
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:23:00 AM »
I think he means nothing is displaying in the squawk column

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:40:18 AM »
The squawk can only be detected on Radarbox if there is a Mode S radar in your vicinity.  See http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4420&p=29694&hilit=squawk#p29694 for a possible explanation.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:33:58 AM »
The squawk can only be detected on Radarbox if there is a Mode S radar in your vicinity.  See http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4420&p=29694&hilit=squawk#p29694 for a possible explanation.

That sounds a more plausible theory than the squawk column simply not being visible :-)

Another clue would be no altitude information for non-ADS-B aircraft, as otherwise that will only show in response to an interrogation.  Incidentally the interrogating Mode S radar doesn't need to be that close to you - it's whether you're picking up aircraft that are within range of the radar that's the issue.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:10:06 AM »
Another clue would be no altitude information for non-ADS-B aircraft, as otherwise that will only show in response to an interrogation.

My guess is that there's no ModeS radar groundstation in the vicinity, AND the altitude readouts are in response to TCAS replies with ID & altitude information.

DaveReid

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »
AND the altitude readouts are in response to TCAS replies with ID & altitude information.

I didn't think either RadarBox or SBS-1 decoded TCAS replies (DF0/DF16).  Not sure about Aurora.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:31:24 AM »
I didn't think either RadarBox or SBS-1 decoded TCAS replies (DF0/DF16).

I don't know for sure, but running Airnav's testmodes.exe utility, I see the following DF's - 0, 4, 5, 11, 17, 20, 21.

The DF0's just have altitude:
$PTA,400CEB,,28775,,,,,,,A,,0,,,
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:49:55 AM by tarbat »

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:39:20 AM »
Airnavs testmodes.exe utility

hello

Where do you get this from?

Andrew

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:41:44 AM »
Where do you get this from?

If I told you I'd have to kill you...............   I'm under strict instructions not to pass it on, it was used during development of DF20/DF21 decoding for non-ADS/B FlightIDs.

DaveReid

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »
If I told you I'd have to kill you...............   I'm under strict instructions not to pass it on, it was used during development of DF20/DF21 decoding for non-ADS/B FlightIDs.

Interesting, I think I've seen references to this before.  Though if DF0 TCAS surveillance responses were being decoded by RadarBox itself, then I would imagine that our Moscow correspondent would be seeing lots of non-ADS-B aircraft with altitudes.

Perhaps he'll come back and tell us if that's the case.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »
Though if DF0 TCAS surveillance responses were being decoded by RadarBox itself, then I would imagine that our Moscow correspondent would be seeing lots of non-ADS-B aircraft with altitudes.

The Moscow screenshot in the first post would suggest that.  All the non-ADS-B aircraft in the screenshot have altitudes, but no squawks.

DaveReid

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
The Moscow screenshot in the first post would suggest that.  All the non-ADS-B aircraft in the screenshot have altitudes, but no squawks.

Doh !  Should have looked at that !

Just think - this means that AirNav have been keeping quiet all this time about something that RadarBox can do but SBS-1 can't  :-)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »
Just think - this means that AirNav have been keeping quiet all this time about something that RadarBox can do but SBS-1 can't  :-)

I must admit I didn't realise the SBS-1 couldn't decode DF0 TCAS replies.  That's quite a large chunk of data it misses then - accounts for 16% of messages in my area.
DF0     16%
DF4     13%
DF5     4%
DF11   20%
DF17   15%
DF20   22%
DF21   10%
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:17:32 PM by tarbat »

DaveReid

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »
I must admit I didn't realise the SBS-1 couldn't decode DF0 TCAS replies.  That's quite a large chunk of data it misses then - accounts for 16% of messages in my area.

I expect that ability will feature prominently in the next editions of the RadarBox brochure and competitive comparison :-)

If only to divert attention away from the routes issue ...