AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are we having network problems/  (Read 16142 times)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Are we having network problems/
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 04:14:35 PM »
How can you justify only having one server to service the network with no backup  ?

I would imagine cost is the biggest reason.

It was a rhetorical question - AirNav realise that, which is why they chose not to respond :-)

But I must apologise - by endorsing your eminently sensible and constructive proposal of having a backup network server, I will have no doubt given the Kiss of Death to the suggestion ...
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AlanF

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
I can't believe that some people expect a refund when the network goes down for short periods. How many times does Sky or the internet stop working. I don't work out how much my monthly payment is and then divide it by the time that I don't get coverage. These are technical hiccups, just accept that it happens. If my car is off the road for 2 days I don't go back to the garage and ask for 2 days worth of refunds on the cost of the car. Life would be fantastic if everything worked perfectly all the time. It doesn't, and it never will.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
I cannot believe some of the comments that appear in this Forum from time to time, on a fairly regular basis.   No technology can be 100% effective 100% of the time, and there are bound to be occasional downs, but I'm just grateful for the fact there is a support Forum, which is monitored all (seemingly) the time by AN.   Yes, alright, we pay for the product and occasionally we're let down, but for 99.9% of us, it's not a case of life or death; where it is, there are (or should be!) back up systems.   This is a hobby.   I, for one, have on occasion been critical of AN, but am very happy with the product (RB and the service), especially after the SAW filters failed twice and the repair (replacement) service I received from W&S was extremely prompt, despite the fact, I'd bought mine from Maplin Electronics.   Thanks to all AN staff, Chris, Dave, Gary, Rod and other contributors who make this Forum what it is - second to none.    I'd better go and wash my face now...........

Being able to see and identify aircraft on here, heading my way and being able to see them (when I'd usually be unable to distinguish any great detail), or not depending on the weather, gives me great satisfaction and pleasure.   Whether or not I can justify the cost of the Real-Time subscription, I haven't yet decided, but I will keep on sharing irrespective of what I get in return.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:18:22 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

eggplant

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »
I can't believe that some people expect a refund when the network goes down for short periods. How many times does Sky or the internet stop working. I don't work out how much my monthly payment is and then divide it by the time that I don't get coverage. These are technical hiccups, just accept that it happens. If my car is off the road for 2 days I don't go back to the garage and ask for 2 days worth of refunds on the cost of the car. Life would be fantastic if everything worked perfectly all the time. It doesn't, and it never will.

If I may comment on your post, to answer your question of how often sky or the internet stops working the answer is, in my case not as often as the Airnav network.

I guess you are the kind of end-user that acccepts paying for a service and not receiving it. As a hypothesis, you contract me to cut your grass every two weeks but I miss a few scheduled visits (e.g. my car had broken down), presumably you wouldn't expect any refund of fees paid to me ? You are the dreams of service providers !

Your analogy to your car being unuseable for two days etc. is so convoluted that I don't feel it warrants an intelligent response.

Incidentally my BT telephone service recently suffered problems. As you quite rightly say, technical hiccups do occur; though measures can be taken to limit then. Nonetheless, when contacting BT about the problem they informed me (without prompting) that the complete months line rental fee would be refunded. That's what I call service. Enough said.

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »
I cannot believe some of the comments that appear in this Forum from time to time, on a fairly regular basis.   No technology can be 100% effective 100% of the time, and there are bound to be occasional downs, but I'm just grateful for the fact there is a support Forum, which is monitored all (seemingly) the time by AN.   Yes, alright, we pay for the product and occasionally we're let down, but for 99.9% of us, it's not a case of life or death; where it is, there are (or should be!) back up systems.   This is a hobby.   I, for one, have on occasion been critical of AN, but am very happy with the product (RB and the service), especially after the SAW filters failed twice and the repair (replacement) service I received from W&S was extremely prompt, despite the fact, I'd bought mine from Maplin Electronics.   Thanks to all AN staff, Chris, Dave, Gary, Rod and other contributors who make this Forum what it is - second to none.    I'd better go and wash my face now...........

Being able to see and identify aircraft on here, heading my way and being able to see them (when I'd usually be unable to distinguish any great detail), or not depending on the weather, gives me great satisfaction and pleasure.   Whether or not I can justify the cost of the Real-Time subscription, I haven't yet decided, but I will keep on sharing irrespective of what I get in return.
Well said, Sir.
de J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

radarspotter10

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 02:51:12 AM »
I cannot believe some of the comments that appear in this Forum from time to time, on a fairly regular basis.   No technology can be 100% effective 100% of the time, and there are bound to be occasional downs, but I'm just grateful for the fact there is a support Forum, which is monitored all (seemingly) the time by AN.   Yes, alright, we pay for the product and occasionally we're let down, but for 99.9% of us, it's not a case of life or death; where it is, there are (or should be!) back up systems.   This is a hobby.   I, for one, have on occasion been critical of AN, but am very happy with the product (RB and the service), especially after the SAW filters failed twice and the repair (replacement) service I received from W&S was extremely prompt, despite the fact, I'd bought mine from Maplin Electronics.   Thanks to all AN staff, Chris, Dave, Gary, Rod and other contributors who make this Forum what it is - second to none.    I'd better go and wash my face now...........

Being able to see and identify aircraft on here, heading my way and being able to see them (when I'd usually be unable to distinguish any great detail), or not depending on the weather, gives me great satisfaction and pleasure.   Whether or not I can justify the cost of the Real-Time subscription, I haven't yet decided, but I will keep on sharing irrespective of what I get in return.

If we only lived in a perfect world, well said CoastGuardJon
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:53:50 AM by SWORDFISH »

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:05 PM »
Your analogy to your car being unuseable for two days etc. is so convoluted that I don't feel it warrants an intelligent response.

Touche..............

AlanF

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
Hi Eggplant

Thanks for your reply to my comment. I agree in hindsight that my mention of the car was probably a bit over the top. If you were contracted to cut my lawn, you would not get paid until I watched you fully complete the job. If you missed once, i would give you a second chance. Miss again, and down the road pal! I bet you can't wait for things to go wrong so that you can claim a bit of money back from your suppliers. Get a life. You sound like somebody who has a list of all the "No Fee, No Win" solicitors.
I have actually, had some stand up fights with various suppliers over bad service, and usually won. Let's get things in perspective, were not talking of life threatening problems if the network goes down. I am probably very lucky, never had a minutes problem with RB. If I do, I'll have to resort to the bottle.
AirNav is a great product just enjoy it until it goes down.

eggplant

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 09:21:59 AM »
Hi Eggplant

Thanks for your reply to my comment. I agree in hindsight that my mention of the car was probably a bit over the top. If you were contracted to cut my lawn, you would not get paid until I watched you fully complete the job. If you missed once, i would give you a second chance. Miss again, and down the road pal! I bet you can't wait for things to go wrong so that you can claim a bit of money back from your suppliers. Get a life. You sound like somebody who has a list of all the "No Fee, No Win" solicitors.
I have actually, had some stand up fights with various suppliers over bad service, and usually won. Let's get things in perspective, were not talking of life threatening problems if the network goes down. I am probably very lucky, never had a minutes problem with RB. If I do, I'll have to resort to the bottle.

To take your points in turn.

Thank you for your detailed summary of the events that would take place in the event I was contracted to cut your lawn and let you down. However, in order to keep this hypothesis in line with the Airnav network service principles, the gardening analogy includes pre-payment. I look forward with excitement to your revised response!

I cannot comment on your assessment of me (e.g. “get a life” etc). Suffice to say these comments are hardly constructive and frankly somewhat childish.

Finally, I note your comment that when the network goes down, “were [sic] not talking of life threatening problems”. As far as I am aware nobody is suggesting that the network service is necessary to sustain life. In either case, the statement does not absolve the supplier (Airnav) of responsibility to provide the services paid for.  Have I missed something here ?

Oh.. and well done for usually winning your stand up fights with suppliers. I am suitably impressed.
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

radarspotter10

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »
Hi Eggplant

Hi AlanF
"never had a minutes problem with RB", same here,  but if you look hard enough you will get one,   nothings perfect in this crazy world.
from pat

AlanF

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 11:36:36 AM »
Hi Pat

Thank you very much for your agreement. You have summed the problem up in a nutshell, look hard enough and you'll always find a problem. In the scheme of things, RB is a very interesting and exciting hobby. that's all it is. My attitude to life is, the glass is half full, obviously some people always find the glass half empty. Having to deal with major suppliers and their problems 5 days a week, you tend to put things into perspective. Network problems with RB would be so far down the list that it wouldn't even register. I have now lost the will to live as far as my fellow forum contributer is concerned. He has taken my "wind up" far too seriously. As CoastGuardJon states in his email, for 99.9% of the users RB is generally as good as you can expect for a technological  system. Not perfect all the time but nothing is. AN support are more than helpful with any initial problems that I had when I first bought the product. There are also the regular contributers who will always offer great, helpful advise.

Alan

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
Alan

Unfortunatley some on here don't even have a glass

I always find it amazing that certain people are on here as quick as a flash the minute either the network goes down, or some other problem arises.

Most of us (the majority) just get on with something else

Funny how it always seems to be the same few as well................strange eh?

Anyway mate, you keep on enjoying your hobby like most of us.

I have enough crassness during my working week to find all this "oh blimey me, the networks down again eveyone, poor show eh AirNav, what a shoddy product" nothing more than immensely amusing.

If I was so disillusioned with something, I'd pack up and go and spend my money elsewhere, not keep banging on about nothing.

If they want their money back, go and speak to the CAB and see what they suggest. I think you'll find there's nothing in the t & c's to suggest this remotely likely to happen.

Watch the replies to this flood in now

If you really want a laugh though, go and read them all getting their knickers in a twist on another similar site! It's totally hilarious

At the end of the day though, I'm just a biased "sychophantic" member of the databse updating team, slagged off to the 'nth degree on the same other site - amazing why they can't do it to our faces on the site we've volunteered on?

Regards

Rich

AlanF

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »
Hi Rich

I sympathise with you, it can't be easy volunteering to do anything like this because you really can't win. Somebody will always find something wrong. I used to be on a local charity committee. 10 people actually did something useful 100 people just mouthed off and did nothing.
Anyway. I'm not happy this afternoon. I've just seen my local Super League Rugby League team lose at home to a theoretically inferior team. Now, who can I blame!!!!!

Alan

radarspotter10

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 12:17:28 AM »
Hi Rich

I sympathise with you, it can't be easy volunteering to do anything like this because you really can't win. Somebody will always find something wrong. I used to be on a local charity committee. 10 people actually did something useful 100 people just mouthed off and did nothing.
Anyway. I'm not happy this afternoon. I've just seen my local Super League Rugby League team lose at home to a theoretically inferior team. Now, who can I blame!!!!!

Alan

Hi.
Alan are you sure you where not watching the world cup.
a few sheep sharers  from New Zealand  nearly beat Italy
can not wait to Wednesday, 23 June, 15:00  he he
(sorry about that could not resist it).
from pat
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:19:07 AM by SWORDFISH »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 12:36:12 AM »
Regarding this topic it is obvious not only for us but for most of our users that there is a forum on the web which was created with the support of our competitors with the single purpose of trying to damage RadarBox image and reputation - they create sticky posts with negative and outdated information, they monitor our forum daily to criticize anything they can, they block and ask for personal details of users saying anything positive about RadarBox, they ban RadarBox fans, the forum moderators sell RadarBox units mentioning problems that don't exist, they promoted illegal software/addons to halt some RadarBox features.

It is important to remember that the people behind this forum have closed connections with the London Shop that sells SBS and some of them are top posters on their forum and provide direct customer support to promote SBS against RadarBox. Of course these moderators, who control that forum, have a totally different attitude towards SBS-1 almost never critizing it and promoting it on a daily basis (SBS is a system which didn't have a major software update in 5 years).

Like any other piece of technology, RadarBox had technical problems, especially with the complex software provided - by having an open forum like we have, we open the door to some of users that are often present on that other forum who frequently try to create the idea that RadarBox has permanent errors and technical issues (sometimes they post provocative posts here and comment them on the other forum at the same time).

At the end of the day we are here to work, develop new features and continue to have the best customer support we can. We don't play this kind of behind the scenes games and that explains why RadarBox continues to be chosen by most of the enthusiasts and by major companies for professional use.