anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proposed giant wind turbine  (Read 4158 times)

imropes

Proposed giant wind turbine
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »
Hello. I live between Leeds and Dewsbury on high ground. A company on the ridge to the north of me (300 yards- my only blind spot) has lodged an appeal to build a giant turbine. ( original app turned down,no questions) Can anyboby tell me what the effect will be on RB in that direction, or overall reception. I use the supplied curly whirly in loft on an oven tray and get great range. I can not express the horror if this stupid idea. ( Will be hight of Blackpool tower)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
Re: Proposed giant wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:36:40 PM »
Don't panic. I doubt it will have any effect at all. At long is it is a half wave length away is should be OK!
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

imropes

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »
Thank for your reply

Deadcalm

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:09:44 AM »
The world's gone mad.  The only benefits from windmills are the subsidies paid to those who make and run them.
Go around, I say again go around...

imropes

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:27:04 AM »
The company who want this monster claim they can not survive without it ! I wondered if the giant spinning blades would upset RB reception but Jeremy has kindly answered the question. J27 M62 is location. South side.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
Wind turbines can have a significant affect on the performance of primary radar and this is something that is taken very seriously by the CAA.  The problem is that EVERY planning application has to be dealt with in full detail, even if that wind farm is never going to be built.  See the CAA policy and guidelines here - note in particular Chapter 2 (not a problem for us RadarBox users though!

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=2358

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »
Wind turbines can have a significant affect on the performance of primary radar and this is something that is taken very seriously by the CAA.  The problem is that EVERY planning application has to be dealt with in full detail, even if that wind farm is never going to be built.  See the CAA policy and guidelines here - note in particular Chapter 2 (not a problem for us RadarBox users though!

I would interpret the statement "If the wind turbines are within 'Radar Line of Sight' and aircraft are required to be detected at longer range behind the wind turbines, then effects similar to those described above for Primary Radar can occur" as implying that SSR reception of targets behind the wind turbine will be affected by its presence (particularly for one that's only 300 yards away from the receiver).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
Yes, I agree, but in my line of work it is the loss of the primary contacts that is the major issue.

Will you be visiting AeroExpo at the weekend Dave?  If so, I'll see you there again!

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
Will you be visiting AeroExpo at the weekend Dave?  If so, I'll see you there again!

Yes, it's about time I reminded myself what real aeroplanes look like :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

ACW367

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »
Its not just the CAA, MOD has serious concerns with wind farms, as they could seriously affect Air Defence Radars.  The Defence Scientific community is currently looking at Stealth turbines with a range of shaping and Radar Absorbent coatings to the blade to make them less visible on Radar.  Those of the kind of thing where degraded performance could affect national security.

This Air Warfare Centre trial is now used as the baseline for the CAA  http://www.bwea.com/pdf/AWG_Reference/050510%20RAF%20Report%20on%20Wind%20Farm%20effects%20on%20ATC%20radar.pdf

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
You would think that a/craft would want to be able to see them on their radar!
Stealth turbines sound a bit dangerous!!
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

ACW367

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 11:15:18 PM »
You would think that a/craft would want to be able to see them on their radar!
Stealth turbines sound a bit dangerous!!
J.

Aircraft do not really use radar for low level navigation, that is the job for ATC.  Turbines are clearly marked on the aeronautical charts and publications that pilots use for navigation at low level.

ACW367

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »

DaveReid

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
This Air Warfare Centre trial is now used as the baseline for the CAA  http://www.bwea.com/pdf/AWG_Reference/050510%20RAF%20Report%20on%20Wind%20Farm%20effects%20on%20ATC%20radar.pdf

Another interesting report, although it appears to contradict the CAA's view on the effect of wind farms on SSR (which is what we're concerned with here).

"The impact on wind farms of SSR is currently assessed as negligible"

I hope the OP isn't as confused as I am  :-)

imropes

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.I enjoy reading your replies and learning. I will keep the thread up to date with developments.