AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not many active network users iin the USA?  (Read 11784 times)

perezoso

Re: Not many active network users iin the USA?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 04:24:17 AM »
I've got a big chunk of west central Texas covered; but I'm afraid I'm not sharing again until AirNav starts sharing with me!

eggplant

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
Ah well,

Here we are back once again to the old story of who can be bothered to tick the box and who can't with regard to the so called offence of sharing information. Shall we start yet another thread ? Oh and as to the legislation, you don't need a license to listen in to any broadcasts be they airband or otherwise but you do need one to transmit on a frequency and that is where the 'privilege' comes in.
I, for one, would hate to be in an aircraft which has received a transmission through the ether from someone not connected with ATC but then again if it is not illegal to 'act upon anything you hear' then there is no problem and, I think, you'll find that since 9/11, the US are certainly not more amenable to us.

Clearly you have not read the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060036_en_1

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/guidance

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

freqhopping

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 01:55:27 AM »
I've got a big chunk of west central Texas covered; but I'm afraid I'm not sharing again until AirNav starts sharing with me!

Any chance you logged AE1412 on June 7? 

EK01

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 09:33:47 AM »
Ah well,

Here we are back once again to the old story of who can be bothered to tick the box and who can't with regard to the so called offence of sharing information. Shall we start yet another thread ? Oh and as to the legislation, you don't need a license to listen in to any broadcasts be they airband or otherwise but you do need one to transmit on a frequency and that is where the 'privilege' comes in.
I, for one, would hate to be in an aircraft which has received a transmission through the ether from someone not connected with ATC but then again if it is not illegal to 'act upon anything you hear' then there is no problem and, I think, you'll find that since 9/11, the US are certainly not more amenable to us.

Clearly you have not read the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060036_en_1

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/guidance

Eggplant,

Clearly the important word here is 'Guidance' and as we all know 'Guidance' can be interpretated any way you like.
'A license is NOT required to use a radio receiver as long as it is not capable of transmission'. I said that.
Offence 2: 'In other words you can listen in but not act upon what you heard'. I said that as well.

As I said 'open to interpretation'.

larry.putman

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:19 AM »
Well it's been 9 days since I have been using the AirNav network and I still say there are less then 10 active users in North America!

Southwest

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 08:52:08 AM »
Well it's been 9 days since I have been using the AirNav network and I still say there are less then 10 active users in North America!

Do you mean by 10 active that it's 10 who are sharing their data?  Because I'm sure there must be more than 10 radar box's in the US.

Perezosa is an example who doesn't share and there are probably a lot more.  I may have said some negative things about Air Nav recently but I would never 'not share' my data because I believe someone, somewhere might be interested in it and it just paints a bigger picture for everyone in our hobby. 

puddy

• Puddy's Homepage
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »
Eggplant,

Clearly the important word here is 'Guidance' and as we all know 'Guidance' can be interpretated any way you like.
'A license is NOT required to use a radio receiver as long as it is not capable of transmission'. I said that.
Offence 2: 'In other words you can listen in but not act upon what you heard'. I said that as well.

As I said 'open to interpretation'.

let’s get this right  in the UK it is an offence to listen in to aircraft freq police fire etc. with a scanner radio you can apply for a license but NONE as ever been issued to a member of the public.
in addition the old wives tale about you can listen but not act on what you have heard and not get prosecuted is just that an old wives tale

How do I know this? I used to work for the UK government but to cover myself I will not tell you which department

So you can be prosecuted

Anyone want to see if the same goes for the radarbox in the UK?

Puddy
Radar Box & AOR8200 mk3 scanner
South Lincolnshire near Boston (UK)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »
you can listen but not act on what you have heard and not get prosecuted is just that an old wives tale

On the contrary, I'd have thought it was a pretty accurate description of the de facto situation here in the UK.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

CYFC

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 12:53:47 PM »
I recently purchased the AirNav-RB, and entered my location, however, after a couple of days, my location does not display on the network mapping....

Any suggestions....

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 01:00:10 PM »
Don't worry about the location map, its not supposed to be accurate (privacy reasons) and it works on getting your location from your IP address which doesn't always get back a result.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

larry.putman

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 01:59:37 PM »
What I am saying is that I check for Network activity in north America several times a day and I will only see data coming from a few states 3 along the west coast of the USA one or 2 in the New York area sometimes one in Florida, One or 2 on the east side of the great lakes, One in North East Texas and that's about it.

I'm sure many many more radarboxes have been sold in the US but apparently they aren't sharing data.

Just zoom down on the US map and you see what I mean!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
At least 17 currently active in US:

('Oakland','United States',37.7645,-122.4294);
('Reno','United States',39.5545,-119.8062);
('Woodbridge VA','US',38.8782,-77.1054);
('Schenectady','USA',43.3523,-73.6899);
('Sacramento','USA',38.5765,-121.4445);
('Alpharetta','USA',52.5167,13.4);
('Chino Hills','USA',34.2181,-119.028);
('Andover Vermont','USA',43.226,-72.5351);
('Dayton','usa',47.6727,-122.1873);
('Denton','USA',33.1427,-96.8123);
('Southfield','United States',42.4791,-83.2491);
('Woodinville','USA',47.3018,-122.1926);
('KPWK','USA',42.031,-87.8112);
('Centerville','USA',41.2232,-111.992);
('Plano','United States',33.0483,-96.7347);
('Waterford NY','United States',42.7355,-73.7204);
('Washington DC','US',64.8171,-147.8784);

There may be others in the US that are sharing with some strange town/country names.  I would guess that later in the day the number of sharers in the USA may increase.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 02:40:45 PM by tarbat »

Southwest

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »
Could do with a few more in the middle from NM up to ND.

darylsmith

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »
There is a RadarBox site near Denver International Airport (DEN) that is sharing data  24/7 but, it never shows up on the active network map.
Daryl Smith
Lafayette, Colorado, USA

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
There is a RadarBox site near Denver International Airport (DEN) that is sharing data  24/7 but, it never shows up on the active network map.

I guess it depends on what they've entered in CITY/COUNTRY in Radarbox preferences.  There's a number of locations with blanks, and even one that says 'here','earth' !!

Is it in the attached list?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:37:04 PM by tarbat »