anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: losing days  (Read 3399 times)

baddlegg

losing days
« on: June 10, 2010, 06:09:12 AM »
Hi all,
I'm still very new to all this so hope someone can shed some light on my problem.

I leave my box running 24/7, checking the data each evening to check up on my 'hits', but when I checked this morning I found that the programme had closed and that the data for the last 3 days has vanished.

Does the database only save when you exit? so should I shut down regularly? If I back up mydata and navdata files each day while the software is running will this prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Dave

mikek

Re: losing days
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:52:50 AM »
I'm not too much of an expert either, but I also leave mine running most of the time.

The power went out briefly yesterday but all data was still there when it came back on and my computer booted back up, so not sure what happened to yours...

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:12:09 AM »
I'm still very new to all this so hope someone can shed some light on my problem.

I leave my box running 24/7, checking the data each evening to check up on my 'hits', but when I checked this morning I found that the programme had closed and that the data for the last 3 days has vanished.

I believe it's related to the way RadarBox handles the SQLite journal file for the MyLog database.

To quote from the SQLite manual:

"The reason that committing the journal to disk is so important is that if the program or system crashes while the pager is writing the database file, the journal is the only way to restore the database file later on.  If the journal's pages weren't completely written to disk before a system crash, then the database cannot be restored fully to its original state, because the journal pages that were in memory were lost in the crash.  In this case, you have an inconsistent database at best, and a corrupted one at worst."

Those sound like the symptoms you have described, though I could be wrong.

So:

Does the database only save when you exit?

I don't know for sure if that's the case, but certainly exiting the application is one way to be confident that all pending updates have been written to the database on disk.

so should I shut down regularly?

See above.

If I back up mydata and navdata files each day while the software is running will this prevent this from happening again?

If you can see a file called MyLog.db3-journal in your RadarBox Data folder then there's no way you can be sure that the main MyLog.db3 database has had all the data written to it - best to back up those files after shutting down the application.

HTH
Dave
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

baddlegg

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
Thanks Dave, Mike,
I'll just have to get in the habit of closing down , restarting and backing up in the hope of keeping my data.
Very frustrating to loose some of my best planes, but it's a learning curve.

regards
Dave