anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alerts  (Read 4462 times)

Tailwinds

Alerts
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:36:06 PM »
When I select the 'Alerts' tab, I notice that I can be alerted when ANY flight is within my selected radius, in this case, six miles by checking the 'Range' Box. However, I only want to be alerted when I get 43C* aircraft within my selected six mile radius but I don't seem to have this option. I can only select 43C* by checking the Mode S box but that only alerts me to 43C* aircraft that is picked up by my antenna anywhere within the Polar diagram and not necessarily within the six mile radius.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Alerts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:39:55 PM »
That's right :-)

As I said recently on some other thread, these conditions are all "OR" - they don't work in combination like you (and most of the rest of us) want. We hope for a more sophisticated Alerts routine in some future software release.

Rod
Rod

Tailwinds

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
Sorry Rod, I missed your recent postings on the other thread you mention regarding this very topic. As you say, let's hope this does get looked into.

Thanks.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »
You can use BSAlert for more complex alerting requirements.  See
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7232
http://numptienet.co.uk/BSAlert/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=8&Itemid=4

Althouth remember that most 43C* aircraft do not transmit their position, so there's no way of knowing their distance!!  Unless you use MLAT.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 08:27:11 AM by tarbat »

Tailwinds

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:47:41 AM »

Althouth remember that most 43C* aircraft do not transmit their position, so there's no way of knowing their distance!!  

Thanks for your reply. This is the reason I would like to set up the Alerts tab the way I want to. Enabling 43C* aircraft within a six mile radius in the 'Range' box would give me the opportunity to go out and spot it within my 360 degree circle of say six miles which wouldn't be hard to do.  

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:15:28 AM »
But as I said, most 43C* aircraft don't transmit their position, so no alerting system will ever be able to alert you to all 43C* aircraft within your six mile radius, since Radarbox doesn't know where the aircraft is.  In fact, in MyLog, only ONE 43C* aircraft has ever transmitted it's position - 43C1C0 (ZD949).  So you will never be able to get the alerts you want.

Although when Radarbox can do multilateration (June?), all that will change.  Or you could download Planeplotter, subscribe to multilateration, setup an alert zone, and get alerts for non-ADS/B aircraft within a six mile area of your location.

For example, this Boeing E-3A Sentry:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:34:18 AM by tarbat »

Tailwinds

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
I understand now tarbat. What would you recommend. Wait for when Radarbox can do multilateration or download planeplotter and suscribe to multilateration? This is a new area for me and I hope this isn't too complicated.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
What would you recommend. Wait for when Radarbox can do multilateration or download planeplotter and suscribe to multilateration? This is a new area for me and I hope this isn't too complicated.

The answer depends entirely on how patient you are :-)

But yes, multilateration is complicated, that's just the nature of the beast, and something that RadarBox users have yet to encounter.

The good news is that PlanePlotter has a great support network with lots of people who will do their d*mndest to help you get your MLat up and running.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
A lot also depends on where you're located.  If you're in an area where there's lots of other Planeplotter/MLAT users, then you will get good multilateration from Planeplotter.  Check the current Ground Stations (cyan) at http://www.coaa.co.uk/pp-user-charts.htm