AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Callsign conversion  (Read 6857 times)

Deadcalm

Callsign conversion
« on: February 27, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »
Good afternoon.

A quick query - I've noticed that a lot of targets don't callsign convert to anything recognizable.  If you compare the following screen captures (one is a screen capture from my RadarBox, the other a screen capture from the live video feed supplied by the user in Sao Paulo) you'll see what I mean. For example AAD5CA translates to AAL995 on his video.

My networked RB:

Video feed:

Is there any reason for this?  I appreciate this isn't true SSR so Mode C is irrelevant

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Callsign conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »
DC,

RadarBox reads the callsign set by the Flight Crew in the aircraft, it is not "converted" by Radarbox, you just see what is set by the pilot.  If the Flight Crew don't put the callsign into their ADS-B box, then you won't get a Flight ID showing.  Different companies have different requirements, so you will see differences between airline fleets.

From your screenshots, you will see that TAM and GOL are good at entering the callsign.  BAW are the same - almost every fleet aircraft has a callsign set.

Also, if there is no Flight ID (callsign) set by the pilots, then there will be no company logo as this is based on the Flight ID.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:48:37 PM by Allocator »

Deadcalm

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »
Thanks, Allocator - your comments appreciated.  But the real point I was making was that with my example screenshots, (of the same airspace, at the same time, given the 5 minutes delay on the network), the Brazillian recipient of live traffic (rebroadcast on the video link) shows the American Airlines target with the correct callsign, yet the network link shows it as something else.

Try it - log onto the live feed, then set your own RadarBox to the same area - there is often a discrepancy between the two.  Just wondering why, that's all.

On my own radarbox live traffic, there are a considerable number of aircraft which don't display the actual callsign - I was puzzled as to the possible reasons - they can't all be that lazy, particularly as it is apparent within the same operating company.

Be gentle with me - just inquisitive - new user, ex-ATC, etc., etc...

DC
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 04:55:18 PM by Deadcalm »
Go around, I say again go around...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 05:16:18 PM »
Looks like a potential bug to me.  I've just watched PR-MBN for the last 10 minutes or so, and on the video feed ( mms://zelda.ntsnet.com.br/mike ) it was solid TAM3932 for the whole time, whereas looking at the same aircraft networked into ANRB, the callsign was missing and it displayed the ModeS code of E48043*.

Even allowing for the 5 minute delay, it looks like sometimes the callsign is not passing across the network.

A couple of provisos:
1. I know it's unlikely, but can we be sure the video feed is live, and not the previous days recording?
2. I guess there could be another user in a nearly location also feeding the network, and his Radarbox didn't receive the callsign.

EDIT:
Another observation.  PR-MBF took-off as TAM3708 on the live video feed.  5 minutes later it appeared on the Radarbox network as TAM3701*, which I'm guessing was it's callsign when it landed.  Looks like a bug to me, with the callsign that gets passed onto the network not being refreshed from the latest data received from the aircraft.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:30:24 PM by tarbat »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 05:25:45 PM »
Intresting, we have a few users in Brazil using 1.4 (testing versions) which may have led to this.

We will keep an eye on it.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

b744

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:47:04 PM »
While on the subject of Brasilian network flights, can you explain this screenshot which includes an intra- Asian flight and a domestic Oz flight. Left me confused !!

[attachment deleted by admin]

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »
Either the GPS systems on those aircraft are not working correctly :) or the route entry for the flight needs updating.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]