anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ultimate AirNav Systems  (Read 7590 times)

bearcat

Re: Ultimate AirNav Systems
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
Sorry should have said a scanner :-)

jannuh

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »
Keep it separate.
Everyone can pick his own scanner for VHF/UHF air comms, some want a cheap one, some others want to spend 9000 pounds..   ;-)

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »
Sounds better than calling it a radio!
15 Miles East of EGNJ

alavana

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 07:36:51 PM »
You can call it whatever you like - just don`t ever ask me to choose between my "communications receiving equipment" and the missus.

Time to play around with the ACARS interface within ANRB tomorrow, since I do enjoy getting the most out of this wonderful bit of kit.

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 08:31:25 PM »
can't say I blame you Icom do do some great kit
15 Miles East of EGNJ

alavana

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »
There is no part of the mode S broadcast message from the aircraft that relates to the ATC frequency they are using.

Can the same be said for an aircraft transmiting an ACARS signal?

I`m just trying to establish if an audio signal can be linked to a specific aircraft on radar, even though I understand it`s not possible at this stage of the software development.

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »
Alavana

Sorry but not 100% sure what you are asking. Audio and radar are poles apart on the spectrum, audio in the Mhz and radar in the Ghz.
15 Miles East of EGNJ

alavana

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »
There is an ACARS interface in the software and as long as you have an audio input set up correctly, it displays messages on the screen.

When an aircraft transmits this data, would it be technically possible to link the aircraft to the position on the radar with some fancy software programming?

DaveG

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 02:00:29 PM »
When an aircraft transmits this data, would it be technically possible to link the aircraft to the position on the radar with some fancy software programming?

I would think its virtually impossible as in any given area of UK there is not just one frequency.  If it could have been done someone would have already in other applications.

Closest I've seen are maps with click buttons that open a dialog box shown the common frequencies for a given area so you can tune your own radio/scanner
Cornwall, UK

bearcat

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
I guess what your are wanting to do is plot ACARS messages on the Rbox map. In my experience very few ACARS message contain a latitude and longtitude to plot with. When I used ACARS the most I had on an ACARS map was I think 3 or 4 with long periods of time with none.

alavana

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 04:27:52 PM »
Hi bearcat,

Yes, that was what I had in mind, I just wondered if it was possible, but it looks as though it may not be.

It would have been a nice feature for me as I also bought the ACARS software which I can use on here (ANRB)

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »

The chap that created Posfix tried hard to develop software to extract latitude/longitude from ACARS messages and plot them.

Heres his site

http://www.posfix.co.uk/

You will see that he tried to make it work with SBS.

jannuh

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »
Or you could give PlanePlotter (from Coaa) a try, built in Acars decoder.
In that way SBS1/RB/RadarGadget/Aurora + Acars (and HF-Acars) on one screen.

alavana

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 11:45:55 AM »

@ nortonbeak

I have installed the software, it works fine but I only had one "hit" with an ACARS tansmission regarding its location. Other than that, it works fine with ACARS DECODER 2 from Airnav Systems.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:47:54 AM by alavana »

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »

@ nortonbeak

I have installed the software, it works fine but I only had one "hit" with an ACARS tansmission regarding its location. Other than that, it works fine with ACARS DECODER 2 from Airnav Systems.

Yes, I think that your experience proves bearcats point. There are not enough ACARS transmissions showing positional data to make it possible to track the aircraft.