AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Directional Mode S antenna ?  (Read 18502 times)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Directional Mode S antenna ?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »
Thats a parabolic reflector!

Too late, I've just worked out how to attach it to my barbecue ...
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Tricatus

• TwinPlane
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 08:41:30 AM »
...prompted by this and other threads I thought I would try and build a 1090 tuned Yagi just to see if it would work ( I know nothing about antenna design)! A minimal amount of research turned up a piece of Yagi design software (John Drew DL6WU Yagi design). I plugged in the numbers, rooted round the tool shed, and 30 minutes later had a prototype built out of plastic curtain rail and some 4mm aluminium rod, all stuck together with a glue gun. To cut a long story short I hung this out of my loft window, pointing north, at the same height as my baseplane antenna but about 5 m away from it. I was surprised with the results, firstly that the thing worked at all ;-) and secondly with the resulting max range polar diagram (2 hours) - doesn't seen very directional. I compared this with my baseplane polar and thought mmmm I need to do some more research: firstly to understand how the thing worked, and secondly to build a second prototype based on this!

Attached are images of the two polar diagrams and an image of the first prototype.
OCK Hold watcher ;-)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
I think it needs a bit more time to create a better p diagram. The yagi will give a low angle lobe to the N and some gain off the back to the S. There should be deep nulls E and W. If you look carefully they are there. Think of the polor diagram of the yagi in 3G so you will need a/craft at all heights to build up a true picture. Nice work.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Tricatus

• TwinPlane
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 11:21:21 AM »
Thanks Jeremy, I can see that now - should have left it a bit longer. However, the prototype is, at this very moment, being recycled to produce a more robust version based on information from the huge knowledge base on the web.  Oh dear - a new hobby is emerging ;-). I'll post the results....
OCK Hold watcher ;-)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »
Bewarned - the more time you spend making these things the less time they stay up or work! J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Tricatus

• TwinPlane
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »
I think you may be right! But I did make another, and the preliminary result is displayed below. At one stage had about 136 flights returning and I tracked a flight into East Midlands to about FL85. I was a bit more careful with the measuring and mounting of the elements.  Made the boom out of 20x20mm wood this time too. Quite what TOM436 is doing there I don't know ;-).
OCK Hold watcher ;-)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »
Very good. It shows the front and back lobs and the smaller ones at 45 deg and 315 deg very nicely and deep null at the sides.
Spot on!
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com