anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Troubleshooting the "hex code confusion" bug  (Read 5342 times)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Troubleshooting the "hex code confusion" bug
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:34 AM »
Notwithstanding the debate about the accuracy of lookup databases for aircraft, routes, etc, my recent trials using RadarBox data for a possible professional application have highlighted a potentially much more fundamental problem - the so-called "hex code confusion" issue.

Even if lookup databases are a work-in-progress, it's reasonable to expect that RadarBox will decode and display correctly information like callsign, altitude, squawk, etc, which comes directly from the aircraft and doesn't require a lookup.

However it would appear that's not always the case.  Processing both the log (RBL) files and the socket output indicates that there is no guarantee RadarBox will assign such data to the correct hex code.  I'm getting many instances of callsigns, squawks, altitudes and other navigational data which clearly belong to one aircraft but are showing against a different hex code.

Other users' posts indicate that I'm not the only user to have encountered this problem, although it's always possible that some of us have rogue boxes, which is why I'd like to ask everyone for some log samples to help troubleshoot the issue.

If anyone is situated under reasonably busy airspace, I would appreciate half an hour's worth of recording (either an RBL file or a socket capture) - PM me and I'll let you have my email address.  I'll be happy to give feedback on any anomalies found, and hopefully we'll establish whether it's a hardware, firmware or software bug.

AirNav haven't shown any interest so far in acknowledging or fixing this bug, which is why I'm doing their job for them, but it doesn't really matter who does the troubleshooting - either way we all stand to gain from a fix, particularly users who are looking for kit that can be used as part of a robust, reliable professional solution to a real-life requirement.

MTIA
Dave
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: Troubleshooting the "hex code confusion" bug
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:24:03 PM »
Hi Dave, I've just started Recording for you if you're interested, as I'm well away from your location - currently showing 54 in My Flights - I've turned off Network download, I'll leave it on until 1430 if that's enough for you.   Just seen you only want 30 mins, so will turn off at 1400.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

DaveReid

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:49:24 PM »
Hi Dave, I've just started Recording for you if you're interested, as I'm well away from your location - currently showing 54 in My Flights - I've turned off Network download, I'll leave it on until 1430 if that's enough for you.   Just seen you only want 30 mins, so will turn off at 1400.

Many thanks, much appreciated - I'll PM you with my email address.

Any other offers welcomed !
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Deadcalm

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
I'll start one as of now (14:52 CET) for 30 minutes.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

DaveReid

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »
I'll start one as of now (14:52 CET) for 30 minutes.

Thanks, DC.

shaun

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
Started recording at 15:12.
Shaun
10 NM NW of EGMC
Essex
UK

DaveReid

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
Started recording at 15:12.
Shaun

Thank you, Shaun.

eggplant

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 05:25:40 PM »
I started recording at 16:39, and forgot to stop it -until now at 18:22.

File size is 5.5 Mb , PM me your email address if you would like to receive the file Dave.

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »
I started recording at 16:39, and forgot to stop it -until now at 18:22.

File size is 5.5 Mb , PM me your email address if you would like to receive the file Dave.

Thanks, that would be great.

Dave

DaveReid

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »
Many thanks to everyone who volunteered logs.

I've analysed three of them so far, and a clear trend is emerging, but I don't want to pre-empt my findings until I've processed the others in my inbox.

I'll aim to do that tomorrow and post my findings then.