AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Routes - or rather lack of them  (Read 7147 times)

bratters

Routes - or rather lack of them
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »
Just tried to work filtered to my local (EGNX) with my scanner on but although I could hear flights being controlled, nothing was showing on the screen.

A check revealed that the flights concerned were in fact listed in MyFlights with valid Flight IDs but simply had no route details, particularly Ryanair flights. It is therefore pointless to filter by airport because so many just don't appear. Doing a quick check round I was surprised to see just how many flights don't in fact have route details.

This is a bit of a pain. Is there no way to update route details?

BlinkNFG

Re: Routes - or rather lack of them
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
The lack of routes is frustrating.  It tends to be for flight IDs that do not match the flight number - e.g Ryanair often using alphanumeric ids e.g RYR90UD. 

I have tried to add missing routes into the database explorer but it is a time consuming process and can be hard to find out the routes.  Maybe this is something the new user database group could look at it?

Jon

bearcat

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:36:26 PM »
You can find some at www.libhomeradar.org. The only way I can think of is by checking the call sign with the arrival/departue boards of the airport concerned. I think RYR and BEE are the worst to tie up, even some of last year's charter flight/routes have changes this year.

I guess there's no easy way

bratters

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
Going back several years to acars/wacars, I recall downoading and installing updated files on a regular basis. There was nothing to it either - just download, copy and paste.

Have things become so complex that this sort of approach is just not viable any more?

bratters

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:02:46 PM »
I've been doing a few figures over the course of the evening and of my Ryanair, Easyjet and Flybe flights less than half have shown route information - just 43% in fact.

I know it's non-scientific but it seems to confirm what I suspected and if I've got some time to spare over the next few days I'll check some more.

We really do need to do something about this - not good enough at all.

Deadcalm

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »
I've had this beef about non-resolution of routes ever since I've had a Radarbox, and posted here a number of times.  Each iteration of the software was going to improve things, but a vast proportion of traffic is STILL without routes.  I've given up hope...

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 07:43:20 PM »
I'm just watching THY2561 from Glasgow to Heathrow about to land at Istanbul.

And why not?  ;-)

Did someone mention a sanity check?

Rod
Rod

bratters

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
I'm just watching THY2561 from Glasgow to Heathrow about to land at Istanbul.

And why not?  ;-)

Did someone mention a sanity check?

Rod

Actually Rod you draw attention to another aspect of the problem that I had overlooked.

Of the 43% of the flights that actually show route information, how much of that information is indeed correct?

Matters get worse :(

abrad41

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:42:32 AM »
Hi

Can someone tell me where the route information come from, I know the information we get is in the navdata file, but how does it get there - do we get it when we populate or is it just there from the start. What would happen if we cleared all the data out of the route section of the navdata file and started again?

Andy

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:51:15 AM »
Can someone tell me where the route information come from, I know the information we get is in the navdata file, but how does it get there - do we get it when we populate or is it just there from the start. What would happen if we cleared all the data out of the route section of the navdata file and started again?

The RadarBox software has the ability to interrogate the AirNav server with a flight number, which presumably it does if the route isn't in your local (NavData) database.

In turn, the server may or may not return a route, which may or may not be correct ...

Sounds like we need another army of unpaid volunteers researching route information :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

abrad41

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 06:53:43 AM »
Dave

Thanks for the info, so if you empty the route information, you think it will be re-populated.

Andy

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 06:59:17 AM »
Thanks for the info, so if you empty the route information, you think it will be re-populated.

Well I haven't been brave enough to try so far - but I'll give it a go today and post the results !
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

NF2G

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:47 PM »
I see a lot of flights over southeastern New York that are supposedly traveling between airports in Europe.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 12:59:30 PM »
We did actually sign up with flightstats in agreement to get routes data and as well created better lookup tables for those low cost carriers you mentioned.

The data is refreshed every couple of months on our central server. The majority of flights to/from main airports (not low cost carriers and ones who don't change the flight number with lookup codes) show good amount of routes and pretty accurate.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

BlinkNFG

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »
Maybe someway could be set up (similar to the new aircraft database) for users to share data.  I have entered lots of missing flight IDs for flights I pick up to/from Luton and Stansted and I'm sure others have done the same for their local airports. 

Jon