AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Volcanic ash returning?  (Read 12767 times)

radarspotter10

Re: Volcanic ash returning?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:45:38 AM »
Yes it looks like no live airnav for a while.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has said all Northern Ireland airspace will be closed from 0700 BST on Tuesday due to volcanic ash drifting from Iceland.
Belfast International, Belfast City and City of Derry airports  will all be closed until further notice.
from pat

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »
No doubt that the cloud is spreading south again. It spent a couple of weeks just over Iceland, now it is predicted to cover the West of Britain later today.

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »
Flights to resume at 1300.

Terre

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
Attached find an overlay for ANRB 3D (*.kmz) and an outline for ANRB 2D (*.out) of the predicted ash spread of Eyjafjallajokull volcano, Iceland for 050502010 at 0000Z.

radarspotter10

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
HI all.
The ash is back again,
Airspace over Scotland and Northern Ireland will be closed from 0700 BST on Wednesday due to volcanic ash, the Civil Aviation Authority has said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8661096.stm
from pat

sasa1000

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »
Have the CAA no consideration? :) Here am I trying to evaluate my Radar-Rama for a week before swapping it over with supplied antenna.

Sandy

colinhall

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 05:48:01 AM »
I thought it was the NATS not the CAA that is closing the air space?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:12 AM »
I thought it was the NATS not the CAA that is closing the air space?

It's neither. 

Only the government has the authority to close airspace.  In fact technically airspace isn't closed, but the CAA (as the regulator) has told NATS (as the ANS provider) that it is not authorised to offer an ATS service in the affected areas, which effectively means no IFR traffic and therefore no airline operations.

GA aircraft are still free to fly, outside of controlled airspace, right through the ash cloud if they so desire ...
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

ACW367

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »
The CAA Safety Regulation Group (SRG) are basically acting as coordinators.  http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=3 There is a committee formed under the auspices of the SRG that takes advice as required from Cabinet Office (COBR), Met Office, MOD DAATM, NATS, the engine manufacturers and the major airline customers.

radarspotter10

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 11:59:38 AM »
The CAA Safety Regulation Group (SRG) are basically acting as coordinators.  http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=3 There is a committee formed under the auspices of the SRG that takes advice as required from Cabinet Office (COBR), Met Office, MOD DAATM, NATS, the engine manufacturers and the major airline customers.
hi.
I am listening to the local radio news for northern Ireland airspace, and its very confusing.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8661454.stm
from pat

Runway 31

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
The aircraft going over the Atlantic today have been taking a very strange routing heading in a very northerly routing over the UK today, heading up and over Iceland to avoid the ash.  Must be costing a fortune with the extra mileage invloved.  Still no doubt it will be proving very productive and busy for Orkney with lots of aircraft you dont usually get to see.

smcm

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
Wondered what was happening today as I've had about three times the usual traffic not just on radarbox but also visually (Orkney Islands)

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »
The aircraft going over the Atlantic today have been taking a very strange routing heading in a very northerly routing over the UK today, heading up and over Iceland to avoid the ash.  Must be costing a fortune with the extra mileage invloved.  Still no doubt it will be proving very productive and busy for Orkney with lots of aircraft you dont usually get to see.

hello

Yes it has been very busy indeed. We take notes in a notebook of any ads-b aircraft we see that fly within a 35nm radius of us. Normally we have an average of 2-3 aeroplanes a day but yesterday we had 51 and today we have had already over 30. My mother used to say she would have liked to be an air traffic controller but I think having this number going past has changed her mind.  

Also I have seen and heard a few aircraft having to hold because they couldn't get oceanic clearance.

Andrew

Runway 31

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 05:48:36 PM »
As they say, its an ill wind.  Enjoy while you can.

Alan