AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AirNav -database-would it be possible?  (Read 10386 times)

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
Re: AirNav -database-would it be possible?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 08:48:27 AM »
Yes i seen that ok dave LOL.
Really Dave.  Airnav asked "what is the most accurate aircraft information external database", and you replied http://www.aircraftid.com/.  But conveniently failed to mention that you are the CEO of AvGen, who operate the www.aircraftId.  service.
from pat

What does it matter if he is the CEO (I'm sure AirNav already know that). He gave the correct answer.
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:52:04 AM »
Dave,

The reply was simply to the question of having database file which is not being updated by GAS the normal the way as the customer does not have internet.

This is NOT to do with the current system whereby the majority of the customers have internet and connecting to our server for updates.

We are not sure how this has suddenly got twisted into us not sourcing our own database etc.. Now please can everyone just calm down.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DaveG

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 10:07:17 AM »
Think this thread has two topics (First two posts)

1.  Downloadable up to date Navadata file.

2.  Online Database that can be updated and verified by RB users as well as downloadable.
Cornwall, UK

Southwest

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:40:11 AM »
Sorry Pat, which part of "This information is hereby placed in the public domain and may be freely used without attribution by any individual or organisation" are you having trouble understanding ?

We're now (it would appear) talking about a vastly expanded version of the same concept. 

I'm simply struggling to understand how it's possible to reconcile, on one hand, marketing RadarBox as having a comprehensive built-in database with, on the other, suggesting to users that maintaining accurate data is actually up to them, to the extent of offering to "develop the technical solution for our users to have such a database".

That is a very good point.  One of the strong marketing tools is that there is a comprehensive database as part of the package.  However, if it's way out of date or riddled with errors then it's like shooting yourself in the foot.

AirNav Systems should sort this out once and for all and offer it free of charge to subscribers.

Runway 31

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »
It will be very hard to find a database that is up to date and error free.  Just this morning I have noted a number of aircraft that do not appear on Airnav, Airframes or GAS.

How comprehensive is comprehensive

Runway 31

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
As Radarbox markets as having a comprehensive database, is it the most comprehensive, how does it compare to the database provided by its competitors?.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
It will be very hard to find a database that is up to date and error free.

I'd go further than that and say it's impossible to find a 100% accurate, up-to-date database that's guaranteed to have everything you're picking up on Mode S. 

But that's no reason why we shouldn't aspire to one that's approaching that ideal, or at least have some targets for quality against which it can be measured.

To paraphrase the old school report saying - the current offering sets itself a low standard which it consistently fails to achieve.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Southwest

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »
It will be very hard to find a database that is up to date and error free.

I'd go further than that and say it's impossible to find a 100% accurate, up-to-date database that's guaranteed to have everything you're picking up on Mode S. 

But that's no reason why we shouldn't aspire to one that's approaching that ideal, or at least have some targets for quality against which it can be measured.

To paraphrase the old school report saying - the current offering sets itself a low standard which it consistently fails to achieve.

Has my mum shown you my old school reports Dave?

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 03:13:46 PM »
We have good news for AirNav RadarBox users.
We have just started the process of developing a central database, maintained by users, with updated aircraft information.

The RadarBox client application will always look at this database for aircraft details first and only if the details cannot be found there it will try to retrieve data from the GAS central servers.

We have just created a closed discussion board on the forum accessible only to "Database Updaters" where all the discussion regarding new aircraft information will take place.

We are now accepting volunteers for this task. Feel free to send us a PM if you are interested.

DaveG

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
sounds good, I'll not volunteer as I'm sure there are better more experienced members out there, but if needed give me a shout always willing to help do some donkey work or testing.
Cornwall, UK

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »