AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AirNav -database-would it be possible?  (Read 10385 times)

Blincodave

AirNav -database-would it be possible?
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
I am the kind of user who uses my box erratically and normally I have no internet access when I do. Would it be possible for you to make available a database file that can updated at regular intervals and then be downloaded from your server?

Kind Regards

Dave

Mike_Tassy

Re: AirNav -database-would it be possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:21:09 PM »
Maybe an online database updateable by registered users of ANRB.   Then available to download
Mike

Blincodave

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »
Thought I'd bump this to see if I get a reply from the good folk at AirNav HQ.

Dave

DaveG

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »
Maybe an online database updateable by registered users of ANRB.   Then available to download
Mike

I like this idea but would add that any new or amended record online should then be verified by some super users who know how to double check data before it goes live, these people do not need to be Airnav staff, in-fact be better if it was not (not in a bad way).

Great Idea Something like GAS DB but for Radarbox users but also downloadable.
Cornwall, UK

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
We would be more than happy to develop the technical solution for our users to have such a database. All volunteers please send us a PM so we can start thinking about this.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:32:11 AM »
We would be more than happy to develop the technical solution for our users to have such a database. All volunteers please send us a PM so we can start thinking about this.

Is it reasonable to assume that the savings you make from no longer having to source and maintain your own database would be passed on to participating users ? 

Waive the network subscription for contributors, say ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
No we are not saying that, this is very early days, we are just exploring each avenue.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 07:34:59 AM »
Is it reasonable to assume that the savings you make from no longer having to source and maintain your own database would be passed on to participating users ?

Are Airnav saying they would no longer maintain a database for us - I don't think so?   I would still want to see the updates from GAS being included automatically as they currently do.

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
Are Airnav saying they would no longer maintain a database for us - I don't think so?   I would still want to see the updates from GAS being included automatically as they currently do.

If that's the case, it sounds like yet another red herring to me.

As any politician will tell you, setting up a think-tank, inviting proposals and then mulling over them for months or even years is a great substitute for actually doing anything :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

radarspotter10

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 07:47:39 AM »

Are Airnav saying they would no longer maintain a database for us - I don't think so?   I would still want to see the updates from GAS being included automatically as they currently do.

Hi airnav
happy enough  here as well
from pat

Runway 31

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:52:40 AM »
Let Dave do it.  It would save a thread every other day.!!!!

radarspotter10

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:01:30 AM »
Let Dave do it.  It would save a thread every other day.!!!!

Runway.
Yes give him the job, it will give our heads peace and quiet.
from pat.

DaveReid

radarspotter10

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 08:13:26 AM »
Let Dave do it.

I thought I already was :-)

www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4285.0

Yes i seen that ok dave LOL.
Really Dave.  Airnav asked "what is the most accurate aircraft information external database", and you replied http://www.aircraftid.com/.  But conveniently failed to mention that you are the CEO of AvGen, who operate the www.aircraftId.  service.
from pat
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:16:48 AM by ShipTrax »

DaveReid

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 08:46:11 AM »
Sorry Pat, which part of "This information is hereby placed in the public domain and may be freely used without attribution by any individual or organisation" are you having trouble understanding ?

We're now (it would appear) talking about a vastly expanded version of the same concept. 

I'm simply struggling to understand how it's possible to reconcile, on one hand, marketing RadarBox as having a comprehensive built-in database with, on the other, suggesting to users that maintaining accurate data is actually up to them, to the extent of offering to "develop the technical solution for our users to have such a database".