anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radar Rama antenna help  (Read 16605 times)

sasa1000

Re: Radar Rama antenna help
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
Hi Jim

That's a good idea, I never thought about a stand alone mount like that. That may be another avenue to explore. I do have holes high up on gable that I bored a few years ago to mount a mast for a weather station rig. Don't really want to put brackets up there again but I think that will be the best place. Just looked online and found local IT shop providing service to make up leads so will be along them tomorrow first thing in the hope they can make me a lead for a USB extender (providing I can source one locally) and then just need box to arrive for the weekend.

Sandy

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »
Hi Sandy and all, something to bear in mind, is that if you get made up leads, with N-type plugs already fitted on both ends, you need quite a big hole to shove it through!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

sasa1000

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 09:51:30 PM »
Ordered 10 m of Westflex with N type fittings + patch lead from WH Westlake today, and just received e-mail to say they will be despatched tomorrow, so hopefully this time next week I should have the Radar-Rama antenna in action.
I am going to try it in the attic initially but think that I will have to mount it outside on gable to get it above roof ridge.
I am getting nowhere near the coverage that smcm is getting, I think that is a fantastic range, he has better coverage round Shetland than I do!!
Guess a pre amp may well be the next thing.

Sandy

sasa1000

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »
Oh forgot to say thanks to CoastGuardJon for warning me about hole size to get N type connectors through, I hope I can disconnect one of the ends in order to get it behind the wall. May not matter if I can find top run plate on external wall in the roof void as I will hopefully be able to bore through it and drop cable down the wall. Lots of sweat and a bit of moaning from the other half coming up I think (sweat from me, moaning from 'er indoors :)  )

Sandy

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »
Sandy,
From experience, while you are drilling a hole make it a big one! Big enough to take the N plug and more room for your next antenna project. Wire wool balls are very mouldable to fill the excess space and stop the wild life!
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

sasa1000

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48:59 PM »
Very good Jeremy lol. There's a lot of truth in what you say though, I had brackets on the gable of the house for a pole a few years ago then decided to take them down as no longer required, also had an earth rod and wire up to the bracket and guess what I'll be doing shortly. Deja Vu or what!

Sandy