anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radar Rama antenna help  (Read 16606 times)

sasa1000

Radar Rama antenna help
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
Sorry for so many questions folks but as stated in my prev post I am waiting on my new ANRB coming with free Radar Rama 1090 antenna. I would be grateful if someone could tell me what I need in way of connectors and best kind of cable so I can order it and get connected to my box asap. It would be good to know names of connectors and how many male or female etc so I can just google it. I may strike lucky and get from local boat electronics company so any alternatives for cable would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Sandy

smcm

Re: Radar Rama antenna help
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
You will probably need N type connectors for that antenna.  Also low loss coax is essential, so Westflex 103 is a good compromise - look at www.whwestlake.co.uk for cable and connectors.  Better to get a patch-lead made up as well with thinner coax to connect Radarbox to the Westflex 103 with SMA to whatever connector you have at the end of the 103

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »
hello

westflex 103 is what we use as well and it seem to be a good, reasonably priced cable as long as you buy it direct from here www.whwestlake.co.uk   as I saw big fluctuations in price between different suppliers when we were looking.

Andrew

sasa1000

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »
Thanks again guys for the advice, but could you clarify on exactly what connectors I need i.e. sma to connector at end of Westflex 103. Also what is the max length of coax that is advisable as this seems the easiest option for me, then I can keep RadarBox beside computer.
Sorry for being a pain with the questions, but I want to be up and running asap.

Sandy

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »
Best to check with moonraker to see what connectors they provide as their package.  It might already have the right connectors.

orkney

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
hello

we use 15m without amplifier and notice no serious losses.

Andrew

sasa1000

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »
That's good to know Andrew as I was hoping to just connect longer coax from box to antenna and try it upstairs (PC down) Good to know I won't have to buy an amp.

Sandy

orkney

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »
That's good to know Andrew as I was hoping to just connect longer coax from box to antenna and try it upstairs (PC down) Good to know I won't have to buy an amp.

Sandy

hello

we have the radar extender with a 6.3dbi and the radar rama has a gain of 5 dbi so you might not get off with as much coax although I don't know much about gain calculations.

Andrew

smcm

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:22 PM »
With 20m of Westflex 103 plus connectors the loss will be about 3dB - which is 50% of the signal at the antenna.  I'm always a bit suspicious about "gain" figures quoted for vertical antennas, but if it is 5dBi then that's closer to 3dB over a basic dipole - so the gain of the antenna is basically cancelled out by loss in the coax.

Best to get antenna as high and clear as possible, but longer coax means more loss and more expensive !!  - so some sort of compromise.  Best just to experiment and see what happens - you can always improve your setup at a later date if needed.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
Hi Sandy, just to throw another little spanner in the works, Westflex 103 is good, but also very stiff and inflexible, so you will need to use a patch lead as smcm said above, N-type to SMA, an absolute minimum of 15cms, preferably 45cms to my choice.   103 cannot be bent in tight turns or bends, so keep the run as straight as possible.   You also need to get special "103" N-type fittings as the central core is too thick for standard N-type, RG213 is slightly more flexible, but a bit more lossy.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

sasa1000

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »
Thanks guys for all the advice, some of it is a bit over my head just now, i.e. gain & loss, patch leads etc so I will keep reading up on all I can find on the forum till it comes. Only experience I have with this sort of thing is working with coax for tv/sky etc which is a world apart. I'm sure I'll be able to see what I need better when I get the box and experiment.
You're a helpful bunch on here I see.

Sandy

orkney

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »
hello

here is the patch lead we use http://www.rocketradio.co.uk/sma-to-n-type-female-adaptor-lead-for-radarbox--sbs-1e-1626-p.asp. I would say since you are confused just get 10 to 15m westflex 103 with 2 n connectors direct from henry westlake and one of the adaptor leads as well. I know this works fine with our set up.

Andrew

bratters

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:02:11 PM »
Sandy - there will be two cables runnning into your box.
One is the USB that connects the box to PC. You can extend this cable considerably (I'm up to 12 metres) and this has no effect on signal strength whatsoever.
The other cable will be your antenna and the golden rule is the shorter the antenna cable the better.
As you do not need to see the box - only the PC screen - the trick is to move the box as near to the aerial as possible by extending the length of USB and reducing the coax antenna.
It will all make sense when you start having a play and then you can come back for more help. :)

sasa1000

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
Thanks again for all the advice guys. Bratters, I prob will have to keep RB indoors as I think ultimately I'll be putting Radar Rama antenna outside so can't see weather doing the box any good. Out of curiosity, what length of aerial cable is on the standard antenna that comes with the box?

Sandy

orkney

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »
hello

I think it comes with about 10' of rg174 coax

Andrew