anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: best airplans view from binoculars  (Read 13068 times)

AlanF

Re: best airplans view from binoculars
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »
I use a pair of Leica 8x42's. They are not the best for magnification but like Southwest's Swarovski's 10x42, the quality of the glass is absolutely exceptional. This means the brightness levels are very high. The greater the magnification doesn't automatically make them better. If the lenses are made from cheap glass all you are doing is magnifying distortion. it's a double edge sword, the larger the size, the heavier they are to hold and more chance of shake, and the view will be darker. It's like trying to use a very large zoom lens on a camera without a tripod. I go to Manchester Airport viewing park quite a lot, and have no trouble reading registrations either on the far runway or on the tarmac. People have asked me the reg of aircraft that they can't see even if their binos are more powerful in magnification. This usually happens if the weather is gloomy. I would think that you would need the Hubble Telescope to read registrations at 30,000ft.

kev_m333

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
I use a pair of standard size Pentax 16x50 bought for £100 ten years ago. They offer a good angle of view and  good clarity for the price. I agree anything more than 16 magnification would cause problems with camera shake. Aviod zoom type bins in my experience they're a waste of money.

sherlock holmes

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
I use Celestron Ultima 10 X 50. Works fine for me. Get much larger than that and you will need a tripod for steady viewing.

Southwest

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »
Alan and Kev have made some good points.  Personally, I wouldn't use anything over 12x and I would certainly avoid these zoom bins like the plague.  Trust me on this, I 'deal' with optical equipment  as part of my current job.

I bought a pair of EL's because they do exactly what I was wanted them to.  I didn't pay full price, I managed to get a very healthy discount which made the cost more bearable.  Don't be fooled into thinking that because you paid the earth the bins are the bees knees.  Research is the key here, have a good look round and try as many pairs as you can before you part with your hard earned cash.

I would also say NEVER buy a second hand pair of bins off EBay.  If anything went wrong, or you weren't happy with them, the hassle would be enormous.

Think before you buy!

AlanF

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »
I was very fortunate with my Leica's, they had just been traded in for a pair of Leica zoom binos. The ones I bought were 2 years old and in perfect condition, and bought from a good reputable dealer. I traded my old Opticron 10x50's in. Apart from the slightly higher magnification of the Opticrons, the first thing I noticed when I tried them both side by side was the clarity and brightness of the Leica's. This was the only way I could afford to buy them. I wouldn't, and couldn't afford nearly £1000 for a pair of binos. a case of being in the right place at the right time.

eggplant

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 08:42:57 PM »
After much deliberation I finally invested in a pair of Pentax 12 x 50 XCF binoculars. Cost was £93 including delivery.

Frankly I am stunned at the clarity and definition from these.  Doubtless there are better optics around, but for the price these really are good.

Just though I'd let you know !

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

AlanF

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 09:12:32 AM »
Hi Eggplant

Sounds like you've got a bargain. I use a Pentax K10 DSLR, the optics are superb.

Alan

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
I have a collection of Opticron optics.  They are expensive but high quality.  Two scopes  (HD and Mighty Midget Scopes, the eyepices are interchangeable) and a pair of 10x 26 mini bins.  I would saw save up and get quality optics.  In my experience worth every penny.

Graham