AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Volcano stops flights  (Read 194729 times)

Tailwinds

Re: Volcano stops flights
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »
I do hope NATS aren't bowing into pressure from the Airlines who are obviously desperate to get business going again! They have been accused of taking 'Draconian Measures' and perhaps being 'Overly Cautious'. Better to be safe than sorry in my view.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

Southwest

« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2010, 03:41:17 PM »
I do hope NATS aren't bowing into pressure from the Airlines who are obviously desperate to get business going again! They have been accused of taking 'Draconian Measures' and perhaps being 'Overly Cautious'. Better to be safe than sorry in my view.

I think pressure from the airlines will have played some small part in the decision making process.  I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us! 

Hawkeye

« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »
Something doesn’t seem right here. The Met Office maps covering from 1800 yesterday ‘til 1200 today show the predicted affected areas as big as, if not bigger than they have been previously.  Especially over and around the UK.

What I don't understand is how The Authorities’ know that the ‘actual’ and 24 hour prediction maps are anywhere near accurate? We are told that the fine ash capable of causing engine damage is generally not visible even when flown into. I can see that sensors on Environmental Research planes could detect it but can’t get my head around how they can have so many covering the vast areas shown on the maps. There is also the question of upper and lower levels of the ash clouds. How can they ascertain these over the whole periphery and anywhere within these massive areas to determine if there are safe routes through them?
Perhaps Dave or others with ATC or meteorological experience can explain how the information is gathered and just how accurate it is considered to be.

From the pictures of the F18 engines, it seems obvious that no matter how many test flights BA, Lufthansa, KLM etc have flown which show no signs of damage, until the Met Office, NATS, Eurocontrol etc are certain that there is no ash in the atmosphere through which commercial flights could be flying, all airspace that could possibly be affected should remain closed.

jgrloit

« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »
D-Calm was up again and visible by RB from Tyne Valley around 14:30 hrs  GMT today - time then for the data to be checked and input into the mix!!!!
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

bratters

« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »
On a slightly different tack, I just hope that the various authorities and operatives at the airports themselves get well-geared up to move things along quickly.

How stupid it would be to have limited windows of opportunity lost because they're not up to speed. Passengers in the dark, check-ins undermanned, baggage clog-ups, immigration at a crawl and the myriad of other things that can make flying such a pain in the proverbial.

Runway 31

« Reply #245 on: April 19, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
3 flights so far showing on the BA webiste as coming into Scotland tomorrow from North America

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #246 on: April 19, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
MSNBC has pulled the story about Hekla.  I guess we'll see what develops.

Hopefully, Hekla is NOT erupting!  Mixed news on many sites.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:08:07 PM by 54901 - Jim »
KOSH - Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

johnboy

« Reply #247 on: April 19, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »
Whats betting some airlines will be increasing  prices in the next few weeks to pay for lost revenue.

bratters

« Reply #248 on: April 19, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »
Whats betting some airlines will be increasing  prices in the next few weeks to pay for lost revenue.

Surely not? Especially Ryanair.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #249 on: April 19, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »

If only things were that easy.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Runway 31

« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »
There looks to be an increasing number of flights out of the Netherlands and Germany.

Pinza

« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
There looks to be an increasing number of flights out of the Netherlands and Germany.
KLM643 appears to be taking the long way from Amsterdam to New York!
Avoiding UK air space to the south and climbing very slowly!

imropes

« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2010, 07:10:33 PM »
Approx how many miles extra does he have to do?

Hosch

« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2010, 07:22:32 PM »
My deepest respect to all the courageous pilots who have to fly now !

Hosch

Team Spirit

• AF1981 A380-800 passing T5 enroute CDG.
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2010, 08:19:29 PM »
Here's a quick question...apart from 'possible' damage being done to the engines, what's the possibility that the pitot tubes and other sensors could get 'clogged' up thus giving false readings??

If that was the case just think what could happen on a night flight without the vital gauges working correctly.

Just a thought.

Dave

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:21:10 PM by Team Spirit »
Best regards Dave.