anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Server Database Populate Routine  (Read 15574 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
New Server Database Populate Routine
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:12 AM »
We have just deployed some new database update routines on our server.

From now on the algorithm being used to retrieve data is the following:

1- Server is queried by mode-s;
2- If data exists and is less than 15 days old it is retrieved directly from AirNav server;
3- If it doesn't exist or is older than 15 days we query GAS databases by mode-s;
4- From GAS we get all aircraft details (no more details from airliners.net);
5- Using the registration we get from GAS we then query airliners.net by registration and ordered from the most recent to the older photo (thus getting the 2 most recent photos);
6- GAS aircraft aircraft information and airliners.net photos are retrieved to the user;

Our server database has been totally reset so new fields are just being added (2143 in the first 10 minutes). We will keep monitoring how the server performs under these new conditions.

As usual any questions/suggestions are welcome.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: New Server Database Populate Routine
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »
As usual any questions/suggestions are welcome.

Could you explain a bit more about how these changes will propagate ?

For example I've got N148AA in my log at the moment, which GAS shows correctly as a B350, but I'm still getting details and photos of a long since scrapped Hawaiian DC-10 in RadarBox.

Is there something I need to do at this end to refresh the data, or is it just a question of waiting a few hours for the server to update ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:26:12 AM »
Great news!!  I'm guessing that point 5 means that photos of the wrong aircraft may still be retrieved for "unusual" registrations - eg. German Air Force?

Dave, I'm guessing that if the end-user wants to see these updates, they will need to empty out their aircrafts table in navdata.  And then run Populate in MyLog.

bratters

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:46:33 AM »

Dave, I'm guessing that if the end-user wants to see these updates, they will need to empty out their aircrafts table in navdata.  And then run Populate in MyLog.

Tarbat - if you, Dave or Airnav can confirm the above-mentioned course of action for us non-techies, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds promising.

DaveReid

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:48:21 AM »

OK, though I was rather hoping for an answer that didn't include the word "guess" :-)

If what you say is correct, it begs the question as to whether emptying the NavData aircraft table is within the capability of the average, non-SQL-knowledgeable RadarBox user.

AirNav ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:36 AM »
The changes are to ensure more reliable data is being pumped through to the databases.

Obviously the database on your local machine is a static, and a software update will be needed to ensure changes are picked up or a refresh proceadure added.

This is the first stage, so we can ensure reliable data is being passed through and server load is fine before updating the software.

However yes, a clean of your NavData database would force it to get fresh data from the server for all aircraft. For customers who don't do this only new aircraft you pick up will be checked using the new routines.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:01:51 AM »
Just as FYI:

The next stages will be to have a database which has a update/refresh proceadure and also allow the certain rows to be marked so they are not updated or refreshed, incase a customer is adding data manually that is not in our central database.
[email protected]

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »
Thanks Airnav, this sounds verry promessing and is what most of us just want, i hope this update can be expected soon.
in the meanwhile, is there a kind soul who can give me ( and i'm shure others ) a step by step guide for dummies how to clean up that NavData db ; i don't want to mess up my system by trying to refresh my data

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:28:25 AM »
For example I've got N148AA in my log at the moment, which GAS shows correctly as a B350, but I'm still getting details and photos of a long since scrapped Hawaiian DC-10 in RadarBox.

Is there something I need to do at this end to refresh the data, or is it just a question of waiting a few hours for the server to update ?

I can confirm, for the example I quoted, that deleting the record from the NavData aircraft table and then refreshing from the server now brings up details of the Super King Air (although the ICAO code is the dreaded three dots).

The photos still show the DC-10, though - how do I fix that ?

bratters

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
Thanks Airnav, this sounds verry promessing and is what most of us just want, i hope this update can be expected soon.
in the meanwhile, is there a kind soul who can give me ( and i'm shure others ) a step by step guide for dummies how to clean up that NavData db ; i don't want to mess up my system by trying to refresh my data

You took the words out of my mouth.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »
Clear out the photo from photo folder and see whether that helps. If not check the registration in airliners.net and see whether it does have a a photo of the B350.

This is still an issue that is being worked on, that if the photo and and aircraft details don't match, whether to show any photo at all.
[email protected]

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:35:59 AM »
btw, i'm not getting contact with the server right now, so no network or 3D
are there troubles with the server, or is it a problem on my side ?

Runway 31

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »
network down

phil zech

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:41:15 AM »
Same here,  I am also getting in My Flights , bottom right ,45 Processing Photo/Info Requests...

and increasing as I get more aircraft in My Flights. I assume this is connected to server problems.

Regards

Phil

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 08:43:21 AM »
We are investigating, this is also why we are not providing a way to clean your navdata database at the present time as we want to monitor server load as we know refresh counts etc.. will put an additional strain on the server.

Please bear with us.
[email protected]