AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox  (Read 13239 times)

gjesing

Radarbox
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:41:26 AM »
Can somebody tell me the difference between Airnav Radarboz and Kinetic-Avionic SBS-1MK2. I think about to buy one of them.
/
Gjesing

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Radarbox
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »
Can somebody tell me the difference between Airnav Radarboz and Kinetic-Avionic SBS-1MK2. I think about to buy one of them.
/
Gjesing

RadarBox is a cutting edge product with a company (AirNav) who are committed to further development and listen to what customers want.

The SBS-1 Mk2 is a minor upgrade of the SBS-1 which has been on the market for about 2 years.  Kinetic Avionics, the company that developed the SBS-1 appear to have lost interest in the product and have handed over development to a radio retailer.  Kinetic have failed to meet a number of stated aims and have failed to listen to users.  The SBS-1 requires a lot of 3rd party software add-ons to even come close to the performance of RadarBox.

RadarBox has a network which allows all users to share data and to watch aircraft all around the world.  The SBS-1 only allows you to see aircraft within range of your receiver.

I've got the SBS-1 and RadarBox, and I think RadarBox is best.

Allocator

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
WHERE DID YOU GET THE IDEA THAT THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE SBS HAS BEEN HANDED TO ANYBODY ELSE?

Piper-Pilot, if you want to flame me, you might as well do it here on the forum where everybody can see rather than by PM - or are you worried that your comments will be removed by AirNav?

So who is doing the development of the SBS-1 software then?  I understood that everything had been handed over to ML&S?  The total lack of development over the last 12 months, apart from the odd minor upgrade, is frankly disappointing.

Allocator

JAKE74

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
Have to agree with Allocator, I also own both the SBS-1 and the Radarbox, and the Radarbox wins  on all accounts!

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:28:01 PM »
Why do we have to waste time having a go at each other.  I have a Radarbox and an SBS1 and each has strengths - and weaknesses.

I would not be without either of them and I would prefer to read about Radarbox on this forum and SBS1 on the Kinetic site.....:-)

piper-pilot

• CHRIS @ ML&S
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »
I DO NOT WISH TO FLAME ANYONE I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHERE THIS  IDEA THAT ML&S ARE DOING THE SOFTWARE CAME FROM? FOR THE RECORD KINETIC DO ALL THE DEVELOPMENT FOR IT BUT I DO NOT FEEL THIS IS THE CORRECT PLACE TO DISCUSS IT.( BTW SORRY FOR THE UPPER CASE I AM USING AN IPAQ AND CAN NOT TYPE ON IT IN LOWER CASE)
CHRIS @ ML&S

Protzenalp

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:10:21 PM »
It's never a good plan to trash the competition, I have said this before. A good product should be able to sell itself on its own merits rather than saying what the competitor can't do.

FWIW I have both the Radarbox and the SBS-1. Without the long-term log I find that the Radarbox just doesn't cut it for me. Until V1.4 comes out it is staying in its box. I use the SBS-1 and am happy with it. I don't need Mapmode, I don't need ethernet connection, etc. etc. etc.

If 1.4 lives up to the hype then it wil come a lot closer to what I need when I am travelling. I will keep my fingers firmly crossed.

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
Without the long-term log I find that the Radarbox just doesn't cut it for me. Until V1.4 comes out it is staying in its box. I

Yes, nice SQL database and fully functional MyLog with V1.4 - 3089 aircraft and counting :-)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:09:59 PM »
Yes, nice SQL database and fully functional MyLog with V1.4 - 3089 aircraft and counting

I just hope there's a robust process to convert my old SBS-1 database (6000+ aircraft) into the new SQLite database!  Hey, I'm even willing to beta test that process ;)

As I've now sold my SBS-1, I've probably got several weeks whilst I wait for v1.4 with no way of saving daily flights.

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »
I just hope there's a robust process to convert my old SBS-1 database (6000+ aircraft) into the new SQLite database!  Hey, I'm even willing to beta test that process ;)

It seemed to work fine for me.

MyLog/Import/Import from SQB and choose BaseStation.sqb

In fact tarbat, if you do an sql query on that MyLog file I sent you - everthing prior to the release of V1.3 (October 07) will be an SBS sqb import :-)

Let me have some stats :-)

Edit: Ahhhh....., not sure which version of MyLog I sent you - I suspect it's just my smaller laptop 'gash' database.

Edited again: Just imported my laptop Basestation.sqb into my laptop RadarBox MyLog file.  As I mentioned, the databases on my laptop are not my primary databases - MyLog started with 3340 aircraft and the import added 2084 aircraft of the 6920 in the BaseStation file (I ran BaseStation for over 12 months before I got my RadarBox).  I'd expect a degree of duplication between to 2 databases, but I haven't compared them before and after - life's too short!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:41:44 PM by Allocator »

robbieinderry

• http://groups.yahoo.com/group/derryradiogroup/
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:58:15 PM »
[
I've owned both, so here's my opinion.  Radarbox, you plug it in, run the software, and that's it.  You get aircraft details, photos, routes, airline logos, networked aircraft, etc.  all very easy.  And a very nice user interface.

With the SBS-1 you'll need lots of add-ons, none of which are supported by Kinetic.  To get all those installed and working you'll need to edit files, including XML coding, etc...  Then, to run it all, you plug in the SBS-1.  Run Basestation.  Run SBS1Spy.  Run SBSPopulate.  Run FD6.  Run BSAlert.  Run Planeplotter.  Then you have to hope that they all work together and don't access the SQL database at the same time, otherwise you'll get a cryptic error message.  And then Kinetic provide no support.

Two advantages the SBS-1 has.  It's cheaper.  And it has a long-term log of aircraft/flights (to be fixed in v1.4 of Radarbox).

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.  I sold my SBS-1 this weekend on eBay.
thanks for being so frank, if you had said that, the other way round,
it would have been deleted.
you know what i mean on this site,
buying one in two weeks
thanks robbie
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:00:36 PM by robbieinderry »
The name is robbie.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/derryradiogroup/
Radio is hobby and one that can bring hours of enjoyment, build friendships and provide an escape from the trials of everyday life.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:29:57 PM »
"if you had said that, the other way round, it would have been deleted."

Not really, there are other posts like Protzenalps one. We don't delete posts unless there deliberate to stir up trouble or abuse us.

We are happy to take customers views and act apon them.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

John Racars

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »
More and more I see AC on my screen giving NOT registration and AC type, Not Dutch a/c only but from other countrys as well. Is this normal?
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 05:49:41 PM »
The GAS link is being investigated, we aplogise for any issues in the meanwhile.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »
More and more I see AC on my screen giving NOT registration and AC type, Not Dutch a/c only but from other countrys as well. Is this normal?
John, you're not alone.  Out of 524 aircraft today, 43 of my contacts had no registration.  This is my only real dissatisfaction with ARB at the moment.  I was so used to the 99.9% success I used to get with SBSPopulate.

I'm sure AirNav are working on this.  Maybe they should pay the Gatwick Aviation Society some more money to give priority to Airnav queries over the inefficient system used by the competition, where every single user hits the GAS server directly.