General > Aviation

Hercules 63-7789 stolen from Mildenhall 1969

(1/2) > >>

viking9:
I've just come across a photo of 63-7789 in the book "Lockheed C-130 Hercules" by Peter C. Smith. The caption contains a brief reference to it having been stolen from Mildenhall on 23 May 1969 and crashed into the sea off Alderney.

Anyone on here remember the incident or have any further details?

Tom

DaveReid:

--- Quote from: viking9 on March 26, 2010, 04:20:00 PM ---I've just come across a photo of 63-7789 in the book "Lockheed C-130 Hercules" by Peter C. Smith. The caption contains a brief reference to it having been stolen from Mildenhall on 23 May 1969 and crashed into the sea off Alderney.

Anyone on here remember the incident or have any further details?
--- End quote ---

I don't recall it at the time, but a quick Google brought up these links:

www.theshipwreckproject.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=101&mode=view

www.theshipwreckproject.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=102&mode=view

There are lots of reports, none confirmed, that the C-130 was in fact brought down by USAF F-100s.

viking9:
Thank you for those links, Dave.

It's an amazing story. I have many more flying hours than he had but I wouldn't attempt what he did even if authorized to do so!

abrad41:
Hi Tom/Dave

Working at EGUN I have heard story's about a Crew Chief who stole a plane from Mildenhall, (Cant remember if it was a C-130 or KC-135) But the story goes he was shot down over the atlantic trying to get home.

Andy

Roadrunner:
I had just started to visit Mildenhall soon after this incident took place. I can remember the local view was that the aircraft was shot down by F100's but I can imagine the USAF would not want that to be the "official" reported outcome, especially as a life was lost.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version