AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone catch these in their log from the 10th of March?? - Blackjacks-  (Read 3274 times)

tetrode

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8585432.stm

Russian TU-160s

Tarbat...You're closest!

Ken...

Good spot Ken!

Just like the "good old" Cold War days - suppose it makes a change from the "Bears" keeping the RAF of old on their toes?

I'd like to think they were on a recce for some of this years UK airshows.................

We can all dream

Rich

tetrode

"I'd like to think they were on a recce for some of this years UK airshows................."

That was what I was hoping....I'd love to see one of these things up close!

K...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Tarbat...You're closest!

Sorry, my Radarbox wasn't active on that day :(  Although these types of incursion by the Russian are quite common.  There was a similar incident a few months ago, and someone posted audio of the radio chatter at the time.

tetrode

Hi Tarbat,

My original comment was a bit ironic....I wouldn't imagine that they would be transmitting anything on this sort of mission. I would imagine it's just done as a training exercise and I would think that NATO are just as bad I picked up a U2 recently, probably on the same sort of mission.

In this atricle: http://www.scotsman.com/news/RAF-catches-Russian-bombers-in.6178775.jp

There's an interesting comment: "In 2007, a nuclear-armed Blackjack bomber staged a mock attack on the east coast of England and got within 90 seconds of Hull without being intercepted. Creeping in low over the North Sea, it changed course only 20 miles from UK territorial airspace."

Hmmmm....how did anyone know that it was 'nuclear-armed'...I can't imagine that the Russian air-force would be forthcoming on that one!

It takes me back to air-shows at Leuchars years ago when it was quite common for the show to be interrupted by a QRA alert...Phantoms in those days of course!

Regards,

Ken...

ACW367

This has certainly made my day an interesting one.  As one who knows, rest assured they stay in international airspace and there are many many inaccuracies in todays newspaper reporting. The bears and blackjacks do not use any transponders and only very occasionally make any kind of radio contact with NATS.  They never follow any radio instructions provided.  They are more an issue for the civil aviation community because they move through the civil airways across the north sea and the North Atlantic airways without talking to anyone.  RAF QRA essentially provide the coordination required with the civil aircraft.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:21:40 PM by ACW367 »