anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Outdoor Antenna  (Read 2904 times)

Alan Parker

Outdoor Antenna
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:13:59 AM »
Hi all, had RB for about two months now & got the supplied antenna outside. Its got reasonable coverage but like everyone else the need comes to try & get further. Would it be possible to mount an external antenna on the same pole as a VHF antenna ( Diamond 777 ) or would there be to much interference. Rgds Alan.

CHILL51

Re: Outdoor Antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »
I have a Diamond D.777 mounted outside with a Radar Rama 1090 external antenna mounted alongside it on a gooseneck pole and i have no problems 180 to 200 mile range easy and no interferance. I can highly recomend both these antennas the Diamond D.777 is fantastic and performs brilliantly for me and excellent build quality to.
Also the radar rama 1090 antenna is great aswell i regularly have aircraft counts of 180 to 190 where as i used to get around 50 to 60.

Mike

g0seg

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:37:59 AM »
Nice to meet you Alan. The short answer is that if you are transmitting on the lower frequencies, a few feet seperation (a few multiples of wavelength) and on low power, it should be OK. If not transmitting, no problem at all although a few feet seperation would be advisable - it wouldn`t look so cluttered!! I`ve several aeriels on the same mast and transmit on several amateur bands, including 1296Mhz (23 cems), but following the rules, there is about five feet from the 23 cems aeriel to the Radarbox twig and only run fairly low power. Never had any interaction between 1296Mhz and 1090Mhz and find the Radarbox pretty well bombproof. Hope this helps, best of luck. Roger PS, just been informed that the aerial mentioned is for receive only so forget all the info on transmitting !!

Alan Parker

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:48:42 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply chaps, thats what i wanted to know. Not decided which antenna yet but the radar rama looks favourite at the moment. As others have said the supplied antenna is pretty good, getting up to 100 miles here in Derbyshire.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
Hi Alan, I've not seen a Radar Rama in the flesh, but I have got  Watson Radar Extender, a Diamond D-777 and another Diamond VX-4000 (none yet erected).   They would all appear to be from exactly the same source, construction and packaging identical.     Although, I've no idea what their performance is like, but the construction and quality are superb.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!