AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old R.A.F. stations google maps  (Read 4792 times)

radarspotter10

Old R.A.F. stations google maps
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
Hi all
I like this on Google maps, for the old timers.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=783637
from pat

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Old R.A.F. stations google maps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:22:54 PM »
Interesting post. There are hundreds of kmz files available on the that we could use in RadarBox 3D.

Hawkeye

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
Thanks for the link Pat.   Being one of the ‘old timers’, I found the site very interesting.

I first watched planes on radar many, many years ago as a Radar Op during my two years National Service in the RAF.
In those days of course, the ability to plot aircraft 200 or so miles away on a big clear screen through a tiny Radar receiver and an antenna just a foot long whilst sitting nice and cosy in your own home  would have been pure science fiction.
My ‘radar watching’ was nothing like that. The RAF radar stations were generally sited on cliff edges in the middle of nowhere and the operators and controllers stared at  dimly lit displays in dimly lit rooms, generally underground, reached by what seemed like miles of passageways. Conditions were such that we only did four hour shifts, and they comprised of two one hour on one hour off stints. Still, I enjoyed the whole experience and have never lost my interest, hence my purchase of a RadarBox.

Anyway, back to  the link. I looked up the history and fate of the RAF stations I was at and found it interesting that Bishops Court, in Canonjohns neck of the woods is now a motor racing circuit (not many people even had cars when I was there :-) ), but it’s radar station, RAF Killard Point isn’t even mentioned.
John, I was wondering if you know whether any of  it still remains  because we are likely to be visiting N. Ireland later this year.

Sorry if I’ve bored you all :-)

Syd

radarspotter10

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the link Pat.   Being one of the ‘old timers’, I found the site very interesting.

I first watched planes on radar many, many years ago as a Radar Op during my two years National Service in the RAF.
In those days of course, the ability to plot aircraft 200 or so miles away on a big clear screen through a tiny Radar receiver and an antenna just a foot long whilst sitting nice and cosy in your own home  would have been pure science fiction.
My ‘radar watching’ was nothing like that. The RAF radar stations were generally sited on cliff edges in the middle of nowhere and the operators and controllers stared at  dimly lit displays in dimly lit rooms, generally underground, reached by what seemed like miles of passageways. Conditions were such that we only did four hour shifts, and they comprised of two one hour on one hour off stints. Still, I enjoyed the whole experience and have never lost my interest, hence my purchase of a RadarBox.

Anyway, back to  the link. I looked up the history and fate of the RAF stations I was at and found it interesting that Bishops Court, in Canonjohns neck of the woods is now a motor racing circuit (not many people even had cars when I was there :-) ), but it’s radar station, RAF Killard Point isn’t even mentioned.
John, I was wondering if you know whether any of  it still remains  because we are likely to be visiting N. Ireland later this year.

Sorry if I’ve bored you all :-)

Syd

Hi Syd
In around 1958 DuPont move to Derry they move into H.M.S. SHRIEK
DuPont filled in big hole, this was the aircraft Dump there was Swordfish frames
Seafires, Wildcats ,i use to play there when i was young  i love a bit of history
thanks for the memory
from pat