AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Tiny Antenna for use in aircraft!  (Read 4331 times)

marcdeklerk

New Tiny Antenna for use in aircraft!
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »
Hi All, I've been talking with Mick Stwernik from Comet antenna in the USA regarding a tiny antenna similar to the MH-209 or MH-255 but for 1090mhz.

The sample has a SMA male connector.

www.cometantenna.com

have a look:
http://www.cometantenna.com/newPro_detail.php?ID=158

Comet antenna have designed it already and I will be having a look at the sample in the next few weeks.

looking forward!

Regards
Marc

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:41:18 AM by marcdeklerk »

marcdeklerk

Re: New Tiny Antenna for use in aircraft!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
oh forgot to add that I think this antenna is an excellent idea for use in areas whereby you do not want to be noticed, like onboard an aircraft or at an airport viewing area.

the normal antenna is too large and you will have problems going through security at airports.

however a tiny antenna nobody will notice..

regards
Marc

Captain777

• B777-300 KQ
    • 777 Flight Deck Project
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:43:18 AM »
This looks VERY interesting. I must admit that I have tried (several times) to surreptitiously scan while on an aircraft. While in the air, I usually get my own plane, and the odd Mode S report.  However, when approaching the airport...the count goes up pretty well.  However, without the internet connection, no photos...

My approach (not a suggestion or recommendation):
  • I always get a window seat
  • Place my bag under the seat in front of me with the antenna cable and USB cable already plugged into the ARB and the antenna slightly out of the bag.
  • Carefully fiddle with the USB connection to connect to the laptop (as though it were a power supply)
  • Then I set up the laptop on the tray to cover the knees and bag area :)
  • Lastly, I carefully slide the antenna out of the bag and into my lap (under the tray).  That is as far as I get it. I tried snaking it up to the window - but too conspicuous.

That seems to work...but careful on short flights...by the time you have it all set up and running, it's time to put it away!  You have to start putting away as soon as you feel beginning of descent...you won't have enough time when the cabin announcement is made because some zealous flight attendant will stand right by you waiting for you to switch off your laptop and put it away - and will be rather intrigued by the high frequency antenna and cables in your lap when you raise the food tray!   (you don't want to have to explain it to the anti-terrorist police waiting on the ground!)

FYI, most aviation authorities ban the use of radios and transmitting devices while the a/c is in the air. While the ARB is not a transmitter...it is a radio.

Captain777

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:16:45 AM »
I'll look out for the "Man arrested acting suspiciously with laptop on aircraft" newpaper headline!

I've used a hand-held GPS on a passenger aircraft with the permission of the crew.  Interestingly enough, it worked OK from a window seat, but wouldn't work on the flight deck (B747-200) due to the coating on the windows!  This was in the good old days when you were allowed on the flight deck.