anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phenom 100 Silhouette  (Read 4773 times)

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
Phenom 100 Silhouette
« on: March 17, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »
Hi

Has anyone got a silhouette for this aircraft?  Also is there a new web location for updates?

Thanks

Graham

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Phenom 100 Silhouette
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:20:35 PM »
Hi Graham

Allocator's RadarBox Utilities website has updates - here: http://radarbox.gofreeserve.com/index.html

There are Phenom silhouettes in the Silhouettes thread here: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1290.msg21304#msg21304

Rod
Rod

GreekSpy2001

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Thanks Rod

But aern't the ones on Allocators sight just your picture based ones?  Was wondering if there is a central repository for the updates for the original style?

Cheers

Graham

RodBearden

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »
Graham - sorry, I slightly misunderstood you - yes, the silhouettes on Allocator's site are indeed my photo-style ones.

The New Silhouettes thread is the only repository of the traditional ones, but at the moment, in Ian K's absence, that's the only place to find traditional silhouettes in the RadarBox size.

Rod
Rod

GreekSpy2001

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »
OK thanks for the info.

Graham

ACW367

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »
Now that the Ian K, the only enthusiast user that was creating traditional silhouettes has stated that he will no longer support this format.  It is another task alongside the database that Airnav will need to look seriously bringing back in-house to avoid obscelecense.

We will all be requiring Citation CJ4, Gulfstream 250 and Gulfstream 650 as soon as ICAO release their next DOC8643 type designators update. C25C G250 GFL6????   

With Ian K not allowing resizes of the silhouettes he creates for the other system.  There is no-one that has the means to create independent ones in our size format except Airnav Dev.

ACW367

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
Of course forgot to mention Boeing 747-800, B748 which is already in DOC8643.  This has never been created in our size format, as Ian K had not produced it before he departed.  Airnav are you able to produce this silhouette soonest.  And as this one is already appearing on the network you will probably need to immediately include it on the CD that you provide to all new first time buyers of your excellent operating system.

RodBearden

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »
With the pictorial silhouettes, I can tell the difference between a B748 and a B742 ;-)

Rod
Rod

ACW367

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:34:40 AM »
Rod

I am guessing that the only reason is because you know the colourschemes. I love your logos but I do not use your silhouettes as you do not choose straight side shots.  At the level of pixelisation you couldn't ask a non-spotter who does not know airline colourschemes to distinguish your picture silhouettes.  Show a non-spotter friend big pictures of SR22, PA28 and BE23.  Then ask them to identify which is which using the blue supplied silhouettes and your picture silhouettes. 

Again Airnav inform us that they do not need external add-ons, but now the supplier of the original data is no longer supporting the format, Airnav have no way to provide new buyers of the system with silhouettes of Embraers, Boeings, Bizjets that they will see on their box everyday.  Leaving said new users disappointed with the quality of the overall product they recieve. I never want that to happen to new users.

This will be very exasperated in 5-8 years time when no updates are provided for any aircraft type that first flies in the meantime. 

I am not yet a 3D user, but I understand the same thing is happening with the jackets for that system, are Airnav planning to provide jackets for the new bizjets and the various GA and Helicopter types slowing getting ADS-B or in 5 years time will 3D just be a sea of coloured dots to a new buyer.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
Rod

I am guessing that the only reason is because you know the colourschemes. I love your logos but I do not use your silhouettes as you do not choose straight side shots.  At the level of pixelisation you couldn't ask a non-spotter who does not know airline colourschemes to distinguish your picture silhouettes.  Show a non-spotter friend big pictures of SR22, PA28 and BE23.  Then ask them to identify which is which using the blue supplied silhouettes and your picture silhouettes.  

Again Airnav inform us that they do not need external add-ons, but now the supplier of the original data is no longer supporting the format, Airnav have no way to provide new buyers of the system with silhouettes of Embraers, Boeings, Bizjets that they will see on their box everyday.  Leaving said new users disappointed with the quality of the overall product they recieve. I never want that to happen to new users.

This will be very exasperated in 5-8 years time when no updates are provided for any aircraft type that first flies in the meantime.  

I am not yet a 3D user, but I understand the same thing is happening with the jackets for that system, are Airnav planning to provide jackets for the new bizjets and the various GA and Helicopter types slowing getting ADS-B or in 5 years time will 3D just be a sea of coloured dots to a new buyer.

Spot on ACW367

God forbid Rod ever decides to hang up his logos - we'd all be floundering!!

We really shouldn't be relying on the good intentions and hard work of several users

To some extent we can fix database errors and changes, ok so it can be a pain, but we're never going to be totally on top of that issue (...............?), but to suddenly see "gaps" appearing in the silhouette column to my mind undermines the integrity of the software in a more unacceptable way.

From personal preference, I also prefer the traditional black side-ons appearing, as I don't particularly want to see a picture of say a Ryanair 737 populating all operator/airline 737 flights (as much as I don't want to see a Cessna 172 populating a CSA 737 ,but that's another slant........ouch!)

Please let's sort this potential blip out sooner rather than later?

Regards

Rich

RodBearden

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
Hi Rich and ACW.

I don't disagree with any of your points about silhouettes. Naturally I agree that just by looking, you can't tell the aircraft type for a lot of the photo-silhouettes. But exactly the same applies to the conventional ones, which is why some people resort to adding the manufactureer name to them.

I'm blowed if I can see any difference between the conventional silhouettes for, for example, the A332 and the B773 unless I put them side-by-side and use a magnifying glass - at least with mine, you can tell that they're different types.

I assume that AirNav are trying to find a new source for conventional silhouettes, and I hope they do, sooner rather than later. But I'll plough on with mine - at least they add a bit of colour (sample below)

Rod
Rod

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »
There's nothing stopping individual users downloading Ian K's silhouettes, and re-sizing them to 68x16.  I use FastStone to batch resize.  Obviously you need to respect Ian's copyright, and not re-distribute them.

http://www.sbsbst.co.uk/iank/
http://www.filefront.com/user/IANKIRBY
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:42:30 AM by tarbat »