anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hardware Sometimes Not Connecting  (Read 6076 times)

abrad41

Hardware Sometimes Not Connecting
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:39 AM »
Hi

Just recently when I start RB for the first time, I am getting "Hardware Checking" (See Below) down in the left hand corner, It stays like this until I restart RB, then seems to be aright. 

This morning I had to restart RB about 6 times before it would show "Hardware Connected", and a couple of time's instead of showing "Hardware Checking", it was showing "Hardware Not Connected" (See Below).

Any thoughts from anyone including Airnav would be good, is this a case of a hardware going to fail shortly.

Cheers

Andy

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Hardware Sometimes Not Connecting
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:35 AM »
Check your USB lead first, change it and see whether it improves. If not get back to us.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

abrad41

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »
Thank you Airnav

Will let you know

Andy

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »
This sometimes happens to me.  I just unplug the USB lead, count to 2 and plug it in again.

Seems to happen if I've been messing around with one of the many other USB devices I've got connected.

abrad41

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 05:02:51 PM »
Thank you Gary

I will try that, as I am using a usb extender and I do think you use one too.

Andy

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »
Yes, I use a Maplin purchased Cat 5 type extender with about 15m of Cat 5 cable.  This doesn't happen very often and I'm sure that it's because I'm doing other stuff rather than being a RB issue.

abrad41

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
Gary

I use the same extender with about 10m of cat 5 cable, but this do seem to be happening everytime I start the RB for the first time. My cat 5 cable does run up the outside of the house, but I did buy special outside cable, my RB box is in the loft. When I get a chance I will get it down and try it on my laptop and see how we get on.

Thanks

Andy

johnboy

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 05:02:35 PM »
Andy,
        I get this a lot, i just unplug from laptop refit ,works ok. thinking of try a new usb lead,as this has been discussed on another thread also it could be my usb port as the connection seems sloppy and doesnt happen as often when connected to my main pc.
 John.

abrad41

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 04:49:43 PM »
Hi

abrad41

Hardware Sometimes Not Connecting
« on: 24 February 2010, 09:17:39 » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi

Just recently when I start RB for the first time, I am getting "Hardware Checking" (See Below) down in the left hand corner, It stays like this until I restart RB, then seems to be aright. 

This morning I had to restart RB about 6 times before it would show "Hardware Connected", and a couple of time's instead of showing "Hardware Checking", it was showing "Hardware Not Connected" (See Below).

Any thoughts from anyone including Airnav would be good, is this a case of a hardware going to fail shortly.

Cheers

Andy 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checking Hardware.jpg (9.92 KB, 394x136 - viewed 111 times.)

I have been doing some testing on this subject. As I said before I use a Cat 5 type extender with about 10m of Cat 5 cable, running from in my conservetory, up a outside wall, through the outside wall into the loft.

1 - I checked all of the connection from the back of my computer right up to the RB box in the loft, everything seemed good and I still had the problem.

2 - At the RB box end, I changed the usb lead, still no difference, still taking me 3 - 4 starts to get RB working.

This made me think it must be my outside Cat 5 cable

3 - So I brought the RB down to my main computer and tried the Cat 5 extender with a normal ethernet cable, things were still the same

4 - So then straight from the RB into the usb port on the back of my computer, still the same, taking 3 - 4 times to start.

This had me confused, so I thought the only thing left was to try v3.13.

And would you believe it - it work fine everytime - so this leads me to believe the problem is within v4.03.

Any comments would good and AirNav what is your view on this.

Andy

abrad41

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »
Hi
For everyone info.

I think I have solved the problem above, I have been running a Western Digital 1TB My Book World Edition backup network drive and the software that came with it, which was "WD anywhere backup software.
When the software is running and backing up files, it will not let the RB start, but as soon as I pause all backups RB will then work, There must be a conflict between the 2 bits of software.  This is just to let you know about this incase anyone thinks about buying one and having the same problem.

Computer Specs are
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
AMD Phenom II x3 720 3 Core Processor
4 GB DDR3 Memory
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 1GB Ram

Hope this helps others

Andy

dxman

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
I had the same problem, sometimes when switching of the lights in my room the radarbox disconnects.
being a hamradio amateur I had the same problems when transmitting on HF, the radarbox disconnects and I had to pull the plug out of the pc, wait 2 counts, and plug it in again to get it working.
So the radarbox is sensible for glitches and HF transmissions.
And now the answer to these problems: I now use an usb cable with chokes on each end ,(from my digital camera) it lookes like I solved the problem, do some tests tomorrow.
Airnav should supply these leads with their radarbox.

Erik

marcdeklerk

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 06:58:04 AM »
I have this problem when I'm using my US Navigator interface, seems RB and Navigator don't like each other, I have to disable all the navigator drivers in device manager before I start RB otherwise it won't connect my RB.

Once my RB is running I can connect my Navigator and enable the drivers , then all ok.

In my case have to do with the drivers

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »
Hi Erik and Marc, perhaps this is more closely connected to the quality of the USB lead's screening?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

dxman

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
Hi Erik and Marc, perhaps this is more closely connected to the quality of the USB lead's screening?

Hallo Jon
I used the supplied lead and that gave the trouble so I replaced with a lead from a digital camera with has a choke at the end , and that solved my problem so far.
I dont know if the supplied lead is of good quality, it seems not.
The same problem appears with another  pc and the usb mouse (logitech)when I was transmitting on HF (mouse pointer was moving all over the screen), looks like the cable picks up HF power caussing the problem,so I`ll try some chokes here also.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »
Hi Erik, I've dismantled 3 standard antennas, 2 out of the 3 had very poor screen (about 7/8 strands very loose and ineffective) sheath in the co-ax, the one Glynh sent me is very much better quality with foil as well as supporting strands outside.    If the antenna leads can be of such low quality, I would assume the USB leads are probably much the same, built to a price!    My original lead was totally U/S, but W&S did replace it when I sent it back with my RB for its second defect (new pcb fitted), but like you, I'm using one from a digital camera.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!