anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New User - couple of problems/queries  (Read 11871 times)

BlinkNFG

Re: New User - couple of problems/queries
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 09:32:24 PM »
thanks - yeah I had a look at the connector pin - looks fine to my (untrained eye).  It is a mm or so lower than the outer casing.  Is that how it should be?

I'll try the open air tomorrow.  How much space do I need.  Would my 4m back garden (boardered by high hedges) be ok or do I need wide open spaces?

Jon

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Jon, the clue here is 'line of sight' - can you see much of the sky from your back garden?  If you can't, then your reception is going to be less than ideal.

Using a laptop and the standard antenna on the roof of a car out in the open works really well.

Southwest

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 08:27:47 AM »
Hi Jon

The aerial is on top of a wardrobe in the PC room.  I'm not using any extension cables at all.  It's 8.25am and I have 12 My flights and 722 networks on screen.

If I could figure out how to post a screenshot I would but I have to leave for work now.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »
Where are you geographically?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »
Where are you geographically?

The clue is in Jon's screenshot ;)

Jon, here's current network traffic in your area, plenty of aircraft to your south that you should be seeing.

I would still advise that you check the connections inside the base of the antenna.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:57:20 AM by tarbat »

BlinkNFG

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »
Sorry forgive my ignorance - what am I looking for in the antenna base?

Pic is attached of what it looks like.

[attachment deleted by admin]

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 12:57:18 PM »
Hello mate you want to look at the end actually screwed into the radarbox, make sure that the centre gold pin is not pushed back into the connector or loose.

hope that helps.
Stuart

BlinkNFG

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »
thanks Stuart.  I've looked and it seems fine.  The connector is about 1mm lower than the outer casing

Jon

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »

Previous user who had a problem with the base of the standard antenna described it as "I checked the antenna and found the centre of the coax had become detached inside the base"
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3330.msg31562#msg31562

This may not be the cause, but worth checking.  Otherwise, how is your testing going in an alternative location?

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
Hi Jon, apart from the non-existent front end SAW filter "problem", the quality of the supplied antenna is the one major let down for the RB.  The design and performance of the antenna is truly superb.   My original deteriorated very quickly as in the link given above by tarbat.   The spare that Glynh kindly let me have, was fantastic for the first week, then performance started dropping off.  I dis-assembled the antenna, cut back the co-ax and re-assembled, performance is still outstanding, a stainless steel whip would be the icing on the cake.  I also bought a spare antenna from W&S.  All 3 have had dry joints/interference fit on the screen.  The original and W&S replacement had poor quality screen in the co-ax, Glyn's had foil as well.  Here's a link to a post where I fully describe the mods in eply #8

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.msg34930#msg34930

ANRB Wish List - stainless steel whip!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Southwest

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 07:08:32 PM »
Hi Jon

Here is a screenshot showing my polar diagram.  It goes way north but spikes east, west and south.

BlinkNFG

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 10:57:53 AM »

Previous user who had a problem with the base of the standard antenna described it as "I checked the antenna and found the centre of the coax had become detached inside the base"
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3330.msg31562#msg31562

This may not be the cause, but worth checking.  Otherwise, how is your testing going in an alternative location?

I tested in my garden and reception was a lot better (around 15 miles).  I will test at an alternative location tomorrow - maybe my flat is just poorly located for picking signals up.

We actually just found out that our rented flat is going to be sold so we are looking for a new place to buy - so should be able to put an external aerial up ... sadly my g/f shot down my idea of moving to Stansted village ;-) 

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
You should still be getting more range than this.

Just out of interest, what happens if you disconnect the antenna completely - you can pick up aircraft that are close without an antenna!

bratters

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »
Jon - if you bought the box locally, take it back to the dealer and get him to check it out. As allocator pointed out, you can pick up that much without an aerial.

radarspotter10

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
hi BlinkNFG
You have done you best, take it back to the dealer.
from pat