AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Altitude Offset in 3D  (Read 2621 times)

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
Altitude Offset in 3D
« on: February 28, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
Is there any way to correctly work out the altitude offset to correctly show aircraft on the ground in 3D view - I've messed about with entering different altitudes but I just can't get them to display properly on the ground?
14NM SSE of EGNX

Jeremy

• Jeremy
Re: Altitude Offset in 3D
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »
Same here.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »
Someone here might have a better way to calculate this offset, but here's how I do it:
1. Select a flight that is either on the ground or that recently took off from the runway that I detect flights from.
2. When the aircraft shows on the ground or the trail shows originating from the runway, then open the 3D View settings window
3. Almost always, the flights show too high (they might be too low, but I rarely see this case), make a guess in the offsets to bring them down. I start with -1000 (then check 'apply offset' and click 'Apply'. In ~5 seconds, you should see the aircraft icons/trails shift down 1000ft. If the trail or aircraft goes under the earth surface, then that's too much, try bringing it up to -750. A bit of tweaking here usually results in a decent guess. From my experience this stays pretty consistent for a few days, but it is probably location dependent.

Until we can figure out how to calculate this offset precisely, it's only there to make rough guess offsets. Hopefully this helps.

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
Well, I've tinkered with all sorts of altitudes for aircraft I know are on the ground and I cannot get them to actually appear on the ground - in fact the tinkering appears to have very little effect on their position 'in the air'.
14NM SSE of EGNX

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:52:45 PM »
Well, I've tinkered with all sorts of altitudes for aircraft I know are on the ground and I cannot get them to actually appear on the ground - in fact the tinkering appears to have very little effect on their position 'in the air'.

Flanker--this is interesting. Are you tweaking your hardware detected flights? The network flights are unaffected by offset box, only the aircraft you detect (hardware) are adjusted with this offset. Perhaps this is the problem... I need to verify that this is reflected in the help file. Sorry for the confusion.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »
I had not realised that either.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com