AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New User - couple of problems/queries  (Read 11861 times)

BlinkNFG

New User - couple of problems/queries
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:44:49 PM »
Hi,

Just received my RadarBox today (standard 2D edition).  Having a couple of issues though.

The first is I am not picking up mainly flights and when I do pick they up they timeout after a few seconds.  I am located in a ground floor flat in Cambridge, UK.  Aerial is currently facing east from a window ledge.  I appreciate having the standard aerial on the ground floor is less than ideal but should I expect more flights?  My rather feeble polar diagram after an hour or so is attached. 

The second is I don't pick up any network traffic.  My "Pre-created account not yet activated".  Not sure what I need to do to remedy this.

Any help/guidance appreciated.

thanks

Jon

Brimon

Re: New User - couple of problems/queries
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:01 PM »
Jon,
      Another member had a similar problem tonight. I think Airnav are struggling with illness & their activations are a bit behind.Also the launch of 3D is no doubt causing additional work.

The polar diagram will take some time to build up, it is nice to watch it extend out as flights come over. make sure both your Process Hardward Flights In "My flights" Tab & "Get flights From Radarbox Network" Tab are both ticked.

Generally the higher you can get your aerial the better, the standard aerial is in fact quite good.

Hopefully Airnav will get round to setting up you account soon , so you can get addicted like the rest of us.
Chasing the heavies from a secret bunker in Scotland

DaveJCotto

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
I a way though sympathising with Jon, being in the same situation I feel more comfortable now that there are at least two of us waiting for account activation and it's not just me having done something wrong.
Brimon was kind enough to reply to me. I agree with what is said about watching the range diagram build up. I am only using the antenna supplied with the box and usually get a good reception from one window but not another. I am in Lincolnshire U.K and tracked flights over Essex and London. An external antenna is awaiting time to erect and then start using but that won't be until the weekend at the earliest. Stick with it Jon like you as a new user I am and was uncertain but let the software and hardware work for a while and I am sure you will get results. You don't say if you are connected to a desk top or laptop but I get better results on the laptop by moving round to get good signals whereas the desktop works but not as well.
David

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »
If you do have concerns about lack of range, it is worth checking that the cente pin of the antenna lead is properly in place and making good connection into the socket on the Radarbox.

But the polar chart will take a few days to build-up.

BlinkNFG

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55:49 AM »
Thanks all for the replies.  Hopefully David and I will be set up soon on the network.

I will leave the box on tomorrow while I am at work to give it a chance to build up the polar diagram.  I've got Thursday off so will then connect it to my laptop and try different rooms in the flat (I currently have it hooked up to the main pc).

Incidentally I currently get better reception by connecting my ATC aerial to the box (a passive nomad aerial about 8ft above ground level) than I do from the supplied aerial.  Guess it might be because I have the supplied aerial in a bad place.  I will check the connection as suggested though.

Jon

Southwest

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »
Hi Blink

Not a million miles away from you (in Potton).

I only use the standard aerial and my polar diagram range is very good.  Northbound, I still get flights over Blackpool in My Flights.  As Tarbat said, it takes time but I'm sure you;ll get there in the end.

On a slight aside, Is it me.....I just don't get the 3D principle!!!! 

Brimon

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
Hi Blink

Not a million miles away from you (in Potton).

I only use the standard aerial and my polar diagram range is very good.  Northbound, I still get flights over Blackpool in My Flights.  As Tarbat said, it takes time but I'm sure you;ll get there in the end.

On a slight aside, Is it me.....I just don't get the 3D principle!!!! 

Southwest,
                 When you say you don't get the principle I assume you don't think it worthwhile to upgrade?
I was much the same, having looked at the development screenshots Tarbet & others posted, I didn't think I would buy into it. However I took the plunge & must say I am very impressed.It takes a bit of getting used to but with the help of tips posted here,again thanks to Tarbet & Allocator amongst others, I have it set up to my taste. Also the flexibility of Google Earth will no doubt be exploited in ways we haven't thought about yet. All in all I would recommend 3D.
Chasing the heavies from a secret bunker in Scotland

BlinkNFG

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »
Again thanks for the replies - very helpful.

Southwest - how is your aerial located.  How high is it?

I connected at 8:30 this morning and so far have received just one flight (in just less than one hour).   

Strangely before leaving for work I switched from using the standard aerial to using my passive nomand (which is designed for ATC) and immedietly picked up another flight.  Is that expected?  I would have thought the standard aerial would be designed for the high frequency needed by the radarbox.

I am now back on the standard aerial and will leave it on all day to see what polar diagram I get.  I'll let you know.

Jon

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 10:10:27 AM »
Jon, just remember, ModeS reception is line-of-sight.  Get the antenna as high as possible, and in clear view.  And make sure you use the ground plane.

Looking at your polar chart, I would expect a better range than only 8 miles.  I think there have been problems in the past with the standard antenna having poor connections in the base, and with the centre pin on the cable getting pushed back.  Worth checking.

BlinkNFG

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »
Thanks - I'll experiment with different locations. 

You think it is worth perservering with the standard antenna rather than using my passive nomad?

Jon

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
The standard antenna should give much better reception, if you can get it as high as possible.  I briefly tested with my discone antenna and got awful ModeS reception (just a few miles).  With the standard antenna I could get >150nm, even with it mounted in the loft.

BlinkNFG

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »
Thanks - I will keep trying.

Does it need to be next to a window (as it is currently) or would higher up but facing a wall be better?

Jon

radarspotter10

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 05:30:29 PM »
Thanks - I will keep trying.

Does it need to be next to a window (as it is currently) or would higher up but facing a wall be better?

Jon
hi jon.
Yes height is might and line of sight with aerial , Jon 8 miles is not right something is wrong, i have a mag mount on a window sill in a bungalow and houses all round me, at the worst i get 20miles to 90miles
hope you get it sorted.
from pat

BlinkNFG

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
Thanks - I wonder what the problem could be - 20 miles is my current max!

Any suggestions as to what I could do to find the problem?  I might try the radarbox at another house to see if there is a problem with my location.

I thought maybe my PC was interfering with the signal (it interfers with my ATC scanner - that's another problem I've got!) but range is no better on the laptop either.  I can hear planes from Stansted and over the whole of East Anglia - I just can't see them!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »
Any suggestions as to what I could do to find the problem?

Did you try my suggestions?

I think there have been problems in the past with the standard antenna having poor connections in the base, and with the centre pin on the cable getting pushed back.  Worth checking.

If you do have concerns about lack of range, it is worth checking that the cente pin of the antenna lead is properly in place and making good connection into the socket on the Radarbox.

Other than that, try an open-air location with your laptop.  With clear line-of-site, you should get up to 200nm range.