AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sessions Timing Out  (Read 9001 times)

Wayne

Sessions Timing Out
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Hi

I know I have read this somewhere but I can't seem to find it on the forum but recently I am experiencing a number of timed out sessions where the RadarBox header says Not Responding. The map turns a shade of grey and the menu bar becomes inactive. This is happening within 10 to 15 minutes of starting a session and I have to close rather than exit although I have not had problems re-starting but it is annoying.

I am using Vista and my laptop is Intel Pentium Dual core 1.46ghz and noting else running on there except RadarBox

Anyone recall or know what a suggested cure for this was ?

Many Thanks
Wayne

Wayne

Re: Sessions Timing Out
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:25:37 PM »
Also, i experience very slow response from clicking on options to the option actually executing. Any ideas on this too ?

Wayne

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:11:51 PM »
Is your internet connection fast? The problem might be waiting for an internet response which never arrives. Also how many msgs/sec are you getting?

Wayne

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:20:42 PM »
Well the internet connection is up to 8 meg and I live only half a mile from the exchange but the timeouts are happening when I am not connected to the internet but when I am at an airport.

In my home locality I would say msgs/sec are below 150 but this weekend I was in Windsor and getting rates in excess of 250 and using the laptop without Internet connection when the non responses were happening.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
When using RadarBox without an Internet connection, try deselecting "Share data" in the preferences menu.

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »
Another thing worth trying with a laptop is to disable the power saving routines. Most laptops will auto stop checking the USB connection.

Right-Click on My Computer
Select Manage
Click on Device Manager
Look on the list for Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Open that list up (click on + )
Right-Click on each Hub
Select Properties
Look for tab called Power Management
Click on it
Untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

Also do the same for your Network Adaptor...

Mike
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:52:06 AM by Roadrunner »

Wayne

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:03:47 AM »
Thanks everyone, will try those suggestions

Wayne

EINN-07

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
Wayne,

I had a similar issue with my Dell Inspiron 9400 where the RB started to shut down approximately 60 to 90 minutes after startup. I did all the above, disabling screen savers and making sure that the machine couldn't disable USB devices. I even swopped the USB for another shorter lead. Nothing made a difference. In the end I concluded that the problem was with the laptop. Since moving back to the desktop I haven't had a single glitch. Interesting to note that you are getting the problem at airports. Guess you are on battery and not on mains ?? My guess is your laptop is the problem and not the RB.

All the best

Gerry

Roadrunner

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »
Gerry,

It is most certainly going to be the laptop. RB has never been a problem on my desktop PC but until I did the disable of power saving on the laptop it would not work for long. I now have it on my Toshiba Satelite Pro 100 and it runs all day without a problem, albeit on mains rather than battery. I am sure that when mobile the power savers would be more active, if enabled, and could be causing the problems Wayne outlined.

Mike

Wayne

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:28:53 PM »
Hi Gerry, Mike

I think you have both hit the nail on the head there I reckon it is purely battery related as I never have a problem when using RB on my laptop at home from the mains. I did buy an in car charger but I'm sure thats not too robust either as well as me worrying if the car will ever start again !

Wayne

Wayne

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 02:39:07 PM »
Hi

Just to say thanks for the advice on the power saving business. Used RadarBox on battery at an airport today after changing the power saving settings and there were just one or two non responds today which was much better than the ones a week or so ago where I was getting them every 10 to 15 minutes. Thanks again.

Wayne

Roadrunner

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 09:51:38 PM »
You are welcome - I am glad it helped :-)