AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3D View loads but no aircraft display  (Read 8619 times)

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
3D View loads but no aircraft display
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:27:34 PM »
This is a post to hopefully help anyone who might run into the same problem that a couple of users have encountered recently.

Problem: The 3D view loads and shows the globe correctly, but the home location is a big red 'X' and no hardware or network aircraft show up.

This seems to occur on a few Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems with IPv6 enabled on the network stack. The problem results in the 3D View requesting data using the wrong type of IP address and the ANRB application is not listening on IPv6 sockets. This results in no data being sent to the 3D window.

Solution: You need to modify your 'hosts' file to tell Windows to resolve 'localhost' as 127.0.0.1.
  • Open Notepad as Administrator (find the notepad icon, right-click on it and choose 'run as administrator')
  • Browse to the file: c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (note - no file extension)
  • If you see any line that looks like:
         ::1             localhost
    Comment it out by putting a # at the beginning of the line. Resulting in this:
        #::1             localhost
  • Make sure there is an entry at the very end of the file that looks like this:
        127.0.0.1             localhost
  • Open your 'Task Manager' (ctrl+alt+del) and in the Processes tab, select 'geplugin.exe' and end task. The 3D view will disappear from ANRB3D.
  • Finally, click the 'reload plug-in' button. This should now request data on the correct type of connection.

This will tell Windows to resolve 'localhost' as the correct value.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:30:16 PM by AirNav 3D Development »

E14

Re: 3D View loads but no aircraft display
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:03:12 AM »
AirNav.
              Thanks for helping me with this issue. Nice to know we have good support when things go wrong.

J
1 mile west of EGLC (London city Airport)

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »
Hi there I have this problem and have looked in the path shown above but I do not have any file named hosts in that location. Is this because I loaded 3D in a non-standard location? On mine it is at C:MikesToys/

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
It's a standard Windows file, nothing to do with the Radarbox installation.  Do you have a folder called C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\   It should contain at least 4 files - hosts, networks, protocol, services

You may need to turn on view hidden files in WIndows Explorer.

What operating system are you using?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:56:58 AM by tarbat »

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
I have no files shown in the folder /etc  Can you tell me how to turn on hidden files as I thought I had it set. My operating system is Windows Vista Home edition.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
Can you tell me how to turn on hidden files as I thought I had it set. My operating system is Windows Vista Home edition.

In Windows Explorer.   Organise - Folder and Search Options.  In the View tab, tick "Show Hidden files and folders".

Do you see ANY files in the etc folder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:18:41 PM by tarbat »

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
Tarbat. Not sure what is going on but I can see the hidden files if I just run a path to the loation. However, as soon as I do it via Notepad/runas administrator I can see nothing :-(

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »
In Notepad, make sure you select "All Files" instead of "Text Documents".

If your hosts file is missing, even in Windows Explorer, then see this - http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/56592.aspx

Roadrunner

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
Tarbat,

Sorry but being a computer thick-head had not noticed that it did not have the correct file type showing (had text rather than all) so Have managed to change the file.

Thanks for your forbearance
Mike

Roadrunner

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:42:57 PM »
Can also confirm that 3D is running A-OK and another pleased customer.

Thanks to AirNav and especially Tarbat for your help.

Mike

defcon333

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 05:29:47 PM »
hi,
i tried the above no success.
my problem:
radarbox is working but i get no leds flashing, the plugin is installed in firefox, but does not shine up in task manager/processes. In map view i only have the world map in blue with radar rings, in 3D view i have a black screen with a bottom line that says reload plugin, when i click this nothing happens.
any help?
regards

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
hi,
i tried the above no success.
my problem:
radarbox is working but i get no leds flashing, the plugin is installed in firefox, but does not shine up in task manager/processes. In map view i only have the world map in blue with radar rings, in 3D view i have a black screen with a bottom line that says reload plugin, when i click this nothing happens.
any help?
regards

defcon333 - this sounds like a problem with the Google Earth Plug-in not loading correctly on your PC. Can you try a non-radarbox website with the plug-in (use IE or firefox)? Here's a URL: http://code.google.com/apis/earth/

Do you see the 3D earth plugin inside of that webpage? If not, I would suggest trying to re-install the Google Earth Plugin and see if that helps.

defcon333

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »
thanks for the reply.
I have advanced a little bit further with my problem. now i start radarbox with admin rights and now i have leds flashing like before and aircraft on map view.
but: when i switch to 3D view nothing but a black screen, no ge-plugin in processes to be found although i used the url above that you gave me and everything is ok with that.
any help? any idea?

Pinza

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »
Thanks AirNav - that's solved it for me - brilliant!