AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stop my data sharing  (Read 5251 times)

RAYMOND

Stop my data sharing
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »
please can some one out there . tell me how to stop me from sharing my data with others
when i go on line it just my choice

Ray

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Stop my data sharing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »
Just go to the application preferences menu and uncheck the "Sharr my Data Option".

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »
You will have to select this option every time you restart the software. It does not "remember" that you opt out.

eggplant

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:57:19 PM »
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Jay911

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »
You will have to select this option every time you restart the software. It does not "remember" that you opt out.

Never been sure why that's such a big deal. How many times are you really restarting the software? I think mine has been running for over 21 days straight at this point. Fair enough, it is disappointing that some settings aren't "sticky", but every software package ever developed has this "problem".
--j.

eggplant

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
Jay,

I don't think anybody is suggesting it's a "big deal", but anything that makes the application more user friendly is a good thing isn't it ?

I'm not sure that I agree with you that every software package developed has the same... I know for sure the software I write at work (for industry) definitely retains every user input parameter after re-starts and powerdowns. Can't think of a reason why a software author or user would prefer otherwise . But thats just my personal opinion.

All the best
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 07:26:37 AM »
Can't think of a reason why a software author or user would prefer otherwise.

Which do you think would result in more sharers on the network - making those who don't want to share opt-out every time they start up, or giving them the ability to do so permanently ?

It's a perfectly sensible commercial decision by AirNav, nothing to do with technical considerations.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

eggplant

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
It's a perfectly sensible commercial decision by AirNav, nothing to do with technical considerations.

Well knock me down with a feather... I had never thought that it could be a commercial decision !

Whether the term "perfectly sensible" is appropriate or not is debatable. Is it perfectly sensible to deliberately inconvenience paying customers because they dare to choose not to share ? Is it really perfectly sensible to assist these same paying customers to potentially break the law by automatically transmitting data as soon as you hit the start button  ?

This subject has been done to death before anyway. Frankly, the only reason I do not share is because Airnav have the audacity to insist that I share by default.

Then again, I am a miserable old sod. The missus calls me Victor Meldrew.

jannuh

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 12:14:52 PM »
There are many countries were it is not allowed to share received data!!

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »
Whether the term "perfectly sensible" is appropriate or not is debatable. Is it perfectly sensible to deliberately inconvenience paying customers because they dare to choose not to share ?

Well I guess it depends from whose perspective you're looking,  Clearly AirNav have taken the decision, on commercial grounds, that upsetting reluctant sharers is a necessary evil which is outweighed by the benefits of having a network that's being populated by users who don't mind sharing, or can't be bothered unticking the box, or have simply forgotten to.

Is it really perfectly sensible to assist these same paying customers to potentially break the law by automatically transmitting data as soon as you hit the start button  ?

Who knows ?  As you rightly say, the issue has been debated to death, although maybe recent events in India will force a rethink.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
A while back, I sent an email enquiry to Ofcom (as the regulatory and enforcement authority for the UK) asking about sharing data - the extremely helpful reply (not!) was "Consult a solicitor", er thanks Ofcom.    When I've a bit of time on my hands, I'll try again, but try to get higher and give the tree a good shake, see what falls out...............
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

eggplant

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »
Whether the term "perfectly sensible" is appropriate or not is debatable. Is it perfectly sensible to deliberately inconvenience paying customers because they dare to choose not to share ?

Well I guess it depends from whose perspective you're looking,  Clearly AirNav have taken the decision, on commercial grounds, that upsetting reluctant sharers is a necessary evil which is outweighed by the benefits of having a network that's being populated by users who don't mind sharing, or can't be bothered unticking the box, or have simply forgotten to.

Is it really perfectly sensible to assist these same paying customers to potentially break the law by automatically transmitting data as soon as you hit the start button  ?

Who knows ?  As you rightly say, the issue has been debated to death, although maybe recent events in India will force a rethink.

Couldn't agree more with your comments Dave.

Cheers

dxman

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
maybe the 5 minute delay does the trick