anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Atenna Set-up using a cheaper solution  (Read 2273 times)

DaveJCotto

Atenna Set-up using a cheaper solution
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »
Hi Guys,
Still not on the network, and have almost given up on it.
However, I have put up an external Antenna  and cabled it through the loft to the NavBox and then the computer. I live in a bungalow and the highest point is the apex of the eaves which is where I have put it on a home made bracket. The Antenna itself sticks up above the roof which obviously helps with all round reception.
I have used a Multi-Scan Antenna from Maplin made by Moonraker systems. Maplin Number QT29G. This is coupled to a 50 Ohm low loss coax also from Maplin code A98JH.
I am now tracking live flights up to 150 miles away and have had over 100 flights on the screen. While I am not seeking to usurp AirNav Systems, or any other supplier, this is a cheaper alternative to the purpose made external Antenna. Incidentally the antenna receiving range is 25-1500 MHz RX at 50 Ohms impedance. Having bought the Radar Box I could not afford the cost of the purpose built antenna and so this is an alternative if like me you are on a low income. Don't know if anyone else has tried this but I would be interested to know of their results if they have.
Regards
David
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:59:38 PM by DaveJCotto »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Atenna Set-up using a cheaper solution
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
Glad you're getting good results.  You would get even better range with an antenna specifically tuned to 1090MHz.  For example, the Radar-Rama, also from Maplins
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=352366

And don't forget static and lightning protection - you don't want to fry your Radarbox!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:00:36 PM by tarbat »