anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A new user in the U.S.  (Read 4930 times)

Scott

A new user in the U.S.
« on: February 08, 2010, 02:17:23 AM »
Just got my box yesterday! So far I have had quite a few contacts however, most of them seem not to have position information. So unfortunatly I have only seen 4 to 5 "plotted' aircraft at a time without using the network. Kinda a bummer. I am also getting out to about 125 NM with the stock antenna indoors on the second floor. Is that a good range for indoor use? Though it is not ideal, would an amplifier help with the current setup or am I likely to add just more noise? I know that an outdoor antenna would be best but I won't be able to put one up at least until the spring.

Finally, I tried my hand at making an outline for the airport nearest me, KMSN. It is rough in spots with the passenger ramps looking like like spikes, but I thought I would post it for anyone who wants it or needs a good laugh. :-)

radarspotter10

Re: A new user in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »
hi Scott
If your getting 125nm you must have a good line of sight to the horizon, thats a very good range, forget about amplifiers get a better aerial with higher db gain and the correct coax connections "height is might" with aerials, and welcome to the site, and watch out for some bears with sore heads on this site,  always taking airnav and the hobby down, ENJOY.
from pat

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »
Hi Scott and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you're doing pretty well with the standard aerial - only use an amplifier as a last resort - if you can get an external aerial erected so much the better.

Your outline looks fine to me - could you please post it on this thread as well? http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=717.msg42081#msg42081

Rod
Rod

Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:05:05 PM »
Thanks Radarspotter10, RodBearden, I will post the outline ASAP.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid you will have to put up with some really dumb people on here who make statements like "you must have a good line of sight to the horizon". As you probably know, the above statement is irrelevant as the distance to the horizon depends only on your height above sea level. e.g. at 15 ft ASL the horizon would be just 4.7 miles away.

Having said that, there are some really technically competent people on this forum who are always willing to help. You'll soon learn to separate them from the chaff :o))

Tom,

Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »
I'm afraid you will have to put up with some really dumb people on here who make statements like "you must have a good line of sight to the horizon". As you probably know, the above statement is irrelevant as the distance to the horizon depends only on your height above sea level. e.g. at 15 ft ASL the horizon would be just 4.7 miles away.

I wish it were that simple!!  When you're surrounded by mountains, I can assure you that "line of sight to the horizon" depends on a lot more than just height above sea level.

A great tool for assessing your "line of sight" distances is at http://www.heywhatsthat.com/main-0904.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:25:38 PM by tarbat »

radarspotter10

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
viking9.
Why don't you give the people on this site a break, and stop your sniping at me and airnav, you seemed to have lost the plot or maybe your on a high,  but then that's what we would expect from a founder member of the vulture site.  airnav please note.
and Scott i was only trying to help, all the best.
from pat.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:49:37 PM by radarspotter10 »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
Please keep things civil. This applies to all members, no one is exempt, any childish actions and we will act as we are getting fed up of a small minority.

Scott,

Welcome to the forum :) Your range indoors is pretty good and as you say the best you will get is from an external antenna.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Scott

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »
Ok, I am now starting to question my range. I had a flight that was showing up over Italy that had a destination of ORD (Chicago) and a departure from somewhere within the U.S. (Sorry, I ws unable to ge a screen shot in time.) I know that I'm getting good reception but I don't think it's THAT good. Could something be wrong with my box or, is this a known problem? It is not a big deal for me if this is "normal" but I would like to know if I need to do a return of my box for another one. As long as nothing is out of the ordinary(defective) I can live with it. Only seen it on one flight so far.

Secondly, what determines the cruise,desend,approach,climb and descend indications under status??

Thanks, in advance for the help.
-Scott

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:38:23 PM »
Scott,

Was it a network flight? Also are you using RadarBox 2010 as your software version. Some aircraft give wrong positional details occasionaly. If you search the forum you will see examples and details on why this occurs.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
Hi Scott, first of all, check the antenna connection, the pins are known to have pushed back into the plug (not experienced it myself).   You don't give your full location/description of surrounding land or whether there's any other users within , but have you logged onto the network - compare what shows on there to what you're seeing.   Have you enabled the Polar Diagram - that builds up a better picture over a week or so - you can post a Screenshot on here.    With my standard antenna shoved out of a window onto a flat roof, I'm getting up to 300 miles, but I'm on top of 180' of cliff looking west over the Atlantic.  The range on the RB display is shown in nautical miles, multiply x 1.15 to convert to Statute miles.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Scott

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, I am using the 3.13 software and no, I am not using the network. And would a pushed in pin show flights in the wrong position? The reduced range I can understand. Just not this flight. As Airnav responded to an email I sent I won't worry about it unless I get a lot more.

Can someone point me to the correct post(s) that Airnav is refering to? I'd like to see them.

Thanks
-Scott

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »
Can someone point me to the correct post(s) that Airnav is refering to? I'd like to see them.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4170

CanadaKen

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »
Scott....remember North American airlines/governments have been slow to adopt
ADS-B. Most new aircraft coming onto the line have ADS-B but in Europe every
commercial aircraft uses the system so they see screens filled with aircraft.
Monitoring on Canada's "Left" coast