AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ANRB403 Available - Non-Beta Version  (Read 24824 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: ANRB403 Available - Non-Beta Version
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »
I've just realised that by running a second monitor from the one graphics card,  I'm taking a big hit on RB 3D performance.  I've unticked the 'Extend desktop onto second monitor' option so I'm just running the 22 inch widescreen by itself.  The 3D window is much smoother and I can actually see the 3D models with Maximum set for Hardware flights.  The PC is still gasping a bit and can't cope with anything other than Minimum for Network, but if I watch local flights only, it looks very nice :-)

I'm running the primary monitor from the HDMI output and the secondary from the RGB/VGA output of the NVIDEA GeForce 8500GT.  I suppose that this makes sense really, it's just that I hadn't really noticed any loss of performance until I started using RB 3D - pushing the boundary I guess.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:54:09 PM by Allocator »

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »
I've just realised that by running a second monitor from the one graphics card,  I'm taking a big hit on RB 3D performance.  I've unticked the 'Extend desktop onto second monitor' option so I'm just running the 22 inch widescreen by itself.  The 3D window is much smoother and I can actually see the 3D models with Maximum set for Hardware flights.  The PC is still gasping a bit and can't cope with anything other than Minimum for Network, but if I watch local flights only, it looks very nice :-)

I'm running the primary monitor from the HDMI output and the secondary from the RGB/VGA output of the NVIDEA GeForce 8500GT.  I suppose that this makes sense really, it's just that I hadn't really noticed any loss of performance until I started using RB 3D - pushing the boundary I guess.

Allocator,

Your graphics card should easily be able to support multiple screens (in my opinion) with decent performance--that's a great card. Do you have the latest NVidia graphics drivers installed for your OS? Are you able to use any other 3D intensive applications with good performance?

Allocator

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
I'll check the drivers - I haven't updated them for a while.  It's a significant difference in performance - from unusable to very nice, so something isn't quite right.

Allocator

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »
Right, I'm back - with the updated NVIDEA drivers.  I think that I've overcome the problem of the second monitor reducing overall 3D performance - testing goes on :-)

Is there any way that I can reduce the size of the 'Pool Balls' when using Network at Minimum, or is this hard coded?

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
Right, I'm back - with the updated NVIDEA drivers.  I think that I've overcome the problem of the second monitor reducing overall 3D performance - testing goes on :-)

Is there any way that I can reduce the size of the 'Pool Balls' when using Network at Minimum, or is this hard coded?

see this post:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4305.msg43611#msg43611

Allocator

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »
Sorry, I missed the original post answering my request - :-0

Edit: Installed and running with the smaller Minimum Network icons - I like these :-)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:19:47 PM by Allocator »

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »
Sorry, I missed the original post answering my request - :-0

Edit: Installed and running with the smaller Minimum Network icons - I like these :-)

No worries--glad you like them. We'll probably replace the big ones with these small ones in the next installer.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Another vote here for the small balls.

EMA

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »
The large ones look like balloons with the trails.

Allocator

« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »

You don't get trails - but I know what you mean - the vertical lines that run down to the ground.

EMA

« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »

You don't get trails - but I know what you mean - the vertical lines that run down to the ground.

Sorry I meant the verticals, I have already hit the cider after a busy day.

Allocator

« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »
Ha! Enjoy - I'm just finishing off a bottle of wine that was left over from yesterday ........

EMA

« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »
I was sceptical about the 3D function but the more I use it the more enjoyable it has become. The pilots view is my favourite which I use for many local approaches to EGNX. Even when having a drink ;-)

Sadly I am sure there is a small bunch of individuals just waiting to pull it apart once it is released, no matter how good it is.

Allocator

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »
I agree, it's certainly different to using the 2D display.  I won't be using 3D all the time but it's compulsive viewing and it looks so nice :-)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2010, 09:44:04 PM »
It is important that you post all these opinions on the main forum (not on this beta limited board).