anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another Live Radar Feed Site  (Read 12718 times)

bratters

Re: Another Live Radar Feed Site
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
As soon as SBS, and later RadarBox, introduced the socket output the growth of private and public ADS-B data sharing networks was inevitable.  How could it not be ?

Yep -  a bit of a conundrum. isn't it.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 08:57:59 AM »

Not only that, but for those who are interested in what may be heading their way or even what's going on further afield in the UK and Europe, this site together with several others, give such good coverage that before long there will be very few current box owners who will pay the not inconsiderable cost of network subscription. Unless you are really interested in flights in far off places, there appears to be little point in doing so.

I'd be interested to read others thoughts are.

Syd

Quite right Syd

I gave serious consideration to renewing the network subscription a few months ago but couldn't really justify it - however I do still (and will continue to) allow my data to be shared for purposes of the network - especially whilst benefiting from other forum user skills that significantly increase my enjoyment of Radarbox!

However, the increase in other "free" sites does mean that I'm able to view what's say half an hour away from my range whereas without the network I wouldn't - point in case, on Friday evening I noticed a Dreamlifter just heading NE from the south of England - twenty minutes later it appeared on my box,so I'd most likely have wandered off doing something else!

I suppose there's a chance that the network may become less of a valid commercial option to providers to support , or indeed a financial option from a user perspective whilst these sites continue to provide a similar (even if diluted) alternative, based on individuals requirements

Regards

Rich
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:59:41 AM by Marpleman »

bratters

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »

I gave serious consideration to renewing the network subscription a few months ago but couldn't really justify it - however I do still (and will continue to) allow my data to be shared for purposes of the network - especially whilst benefiting from other forum user skills that significantly increase my enjoyment of Radarbox!

However, the increase in other "free" sites does mean that I'm able to view what's say half an hour away from my range whereas without the network I wouldn't - point in case, on Friday evening I noticed a Dreamlifter just heading NE from the south of England - twenty minutes later it appeared on my box,so I'd most likely have wandered off doing something else!

I suppose there's a chance that the network may become less of a valid commercial option to providers to support , or indeed a financial option from a user perspective whilst these sites continue to provide a similar (even if diluted) alternative, based on individuals requirements

Regards

Rich

Totally agree with you Rich. I am operating on exactly the same basis - sharing my data but using free sites for the occasional access I need to data beyond my range.

A difficult one for all of us, including Airnav,  if we are simply providing raw data for rival operators to offer freely available systems. It not only begs the question of why would one wish to subscribe to the Network,  but for some it will surely question the reason for buying a Radarbox in the first place?

Hmm.... don't know the answer.

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
If everyone stopped using their SBS's and RadarBoxes and did not subscribe to the Network then what data would these "free" sites be able to display. Not much I would suggest.............

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »
Out network is by far the biggest ADS-B network used. AirNav RadarBox is the only software with dozens of features inside it and not needing additional addons.
This will cause it to continue to grow in numbers of sharers and areas covered.

1 year ago we had an average of 150 simultaneous sharers, now we have between 350 and 450, imagine in 2 or 3 years. This is similar to the OS situation: you have Windows that is paid but is used in 90% of the computers. Then you have a lot more OS, some free, some different but Windows will continue to maintain its position.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »
If everyone stopped using their SBS's and RadarBoxes and did not subscribe to the Network then what data would these "free" sites be able to display. Not much I would suggest.............

The subscription to the network is only applicable to the provider, in being able to (part) fund its existence  - I'm more than happy to share the data from my box for purposes of the network to other RadarBox network subscribers,yet have chosen not to re-subscribe,partly due to the increase of the number of free sites available.

I suspect due to the significant increase in not only the number of enthusiasts taking the decision to buy a "box" from whichever supplier, and also a visible increase of "add-ons" and other manufacturers entering this sector of the market, we may see a fair few of these free sites appearing over the next year or two as a basis to evaluate what users want, as at the moment it's not necessarily obvious who is hosting these sites and if for commercial or amataeur purposes.

It wouldn't suprise me at all if the free sites increase their coverage in the short term, as people become more keen to become affiliated to say society based groups, especially seeing as how TAS Manchester have included two such sites linked into their home page, and also how various spotting databases can "link" into the software of certain products (RadarBox included)

I think most serious enthusiasts would still prefer to own their own hardware as it's now becoming very common to see several "box" users either at airports, around airfield perimeters, where an internet connection isn't always practical.

As a user , I suspect we may be in for an interesting couple of years of development from all parties in an attempt to push the boundaries further and in doing so win more customers

Personally, I'm glad to see these free sites on the web - I only have to think of the cost involved on following this hobby when I was a young lad, having just enough money to visit the odd airfield or two, but not being able to afford airband radios (no scanners around in those days!) or proper cameras, but just enjoying spotting for what it was, and the camaradarie that developed through it - much tha same as we (hopefully) all do within this great forum - so if it helps to bring others onboard, then all the better!

Cheers

Rich

bratters

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
A good post Rich and I concur 100%.

Were I a developer such as Airnav I would feel somewhat miffed that the results of the considerable development work I put into my product were now being used "gratis" to support new "parasitic" sites. (bit strong maybe)

I think that were I developing something new, say an MLAT type program, I would make damn sure that it couldn't be shared, begged, borrowed or whatever and could only be accessed by those who had purchased my products.

Netcop

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »
Airnav,

Please continue working for further development of your products for all of us - your customers, and don’t pay a lot of attention to some kind of paranoia which started some time ago. First MLAT, then “free sites”, what may we expect in the future? 

People who understand the difference between your professional approach  in software architecture/features and cheep web  resources will always be on your side.

Free cheese exists only in a mousetrap.

Best,
Nick
Greetings from Russia, Moscow
20.54 nm NWN of UUDD

SW: ANRB v 3.13/ANRB v 4.03 3D, XP SP3
HW: SkyCentre Quad Core PC for 24/7 operation
Antenna: outside SSE 1090SJ mk2
Amp: Wimo AS-1090
Cable: Draka NK Cables RFF 1/2'-50
RadarBox24 station: Netcop

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »
Airnav,

Please continue working for further development of your products for all of us - your customers, and don’t pay a lot of attention to some kind of paranoia which started some time ago. First MLAT, then “free sites”, what may we expect in the future? 

People who understand the difference between your professional approach  in software architecture/features and cheep web  resources will always be on your side.

Free cheese exists only in a mousetrap.

Best,
Nick

Evidently not!

The fact that the advent of these "free sites" means one can sit watching a good percentage of ADS-B flights in almost real time without any ties other than an internet provider,suggests things will have to give one way or another

Where's the paranoia in that?

I for one,certainly want AirNav to continue pushing forward, but more choice from whatever domain can only provide healthy competition, and maybe make developers think a little more carefully - you only have to look at the debate with MLAT and the excellent thread on here to suggest improvements to see how easy people could be swayed.

AirNav as far as I'm concerned provide a fantastic product that tick all the boxes for me, but as the customer base is effectively split between network subscribers and those,like myself whose free period has expired, it's becoming tricky to gauge the best use of resource for commercial gain.

At the moment, AirNav, rightly so have the network market pretty well cornered I would expect, which is testament to all their hard work and development.But like everything, comes with a cost to the user.

I'm afraid the web sites I've looked at don't look un-professional or too cheap to me,and judging by other forum members comments seem to be gathering more than a little intrigue with different options.

I sincerely hope the network here goes from strength to strenth, hence why I conciously share my data, to give something back to those who use it - plus it gives Rod something to do, for which we are all extemely greatful!

Interesting times ahead for all of us?

regards

Rich