AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mode-S code instead of flight number, why ?  (Read 9452 times)

tomahawk35

Mode-S code instead of flight number, why ?
« on: January 27, 2008, 07:43:28 PM »
I wonder why, in the network mode, a great number of flights show Mode S code instead of flight number. Only few flights display the flight number.

In local mode (MyFlights), not such a lot of Mode-S codes are displayed, most of the flights display their number.

Why this difference between network and MyFlights mode ?

Thanks !

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Mode-S code instead of flight number, why ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
I wonder why, in the network mode, a great number of flights show Mode S code instead of flight number. Only few flights display the flight number.

In local mode (MyFlights), not such a lot of Mode-S codes are displayed, most of the flights display their number.

Why this difference between network and MyFlights mode ?

Thanks !

Do you mean Mode C squawk code? (4 digit numeric code between 0000 and 7777)

All flights on RadarBox show their Mode S code (6 digit Hex) as if they didn't have Mode S, then they wouldn't show :-)

I have no Mode C squawks showing for network traffic, but the majority of my live tracks show Mode C.

As for callsigns (Flight ID?), about half of mt network and live traffic is showing a Flight ID.  This does require the flight crew to enter it into their flight computer for it to show.

tomahawk35

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »
I'm sorry for my bad english.

I mean that network shows Mode S code (ie : 40041B, 6 hex digits) much more frequently than the flight ID (ie : BAW459). On direct reception (MyFlights) Mode S code is displayed when there is no flight ID.

So I wondered why such a lot of flight ID missing and replaced by Mode S code when watching network traffic.

It seems like network traffic doesn't recover the Flight ID and display the Mode S code to replace it.

Here, my live traffic shows on screen 95% maybe more of Flight ID, only a few flights have this information replaced by the Mode S code.

Hope you understand what I mean, sorry for my poor vocabulary...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »
"On direct reception (MyFlights) Mode S code is displayed when there is no flight ID."

Not sure what you mean that. Mode S code will be always be shown (otherwise there is no way in identifying who the ADS-B message is from)

In some locations when reception is not great you can't get Flight ID or it has not been entered by the pilots hence the Flight ID is shown as blank. This is what you are seeing on some flights on the network.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »
I'm sorry for my bad english.

I mean that network shows Mode S code (ie : 40041B, 6 hex digits) much more frequently than the flight ID (ie : BAW459). On direct reception (MyFlights) Mode S code is displayed when there is no flight ID.

So I wondered why such a lot of flight ID missing and replaced by Mode S code when watching network traffic.

It seems like network traffic doesn't recover the Flight ID and display the Mode S code to replace it.

Here, my live traffic shows on screen 95% maybe more of Flight ID, only a few flights have this information replaced by the Mode S code.

Hope you understand what I mean, sorry for my poor vocabulary...

OK, I think that I know what you mean now - you are talking about aircraft on the map, not the aircraft list.

As Support said, the flight crew MUST enter the Flight ID into their aircraft computer - they don't have to do this.  If they don't enter the Flight ID, then it will not show in the MyFlights list or the Network list.  If there is no Flight ID, then the Mode S code is shown in the first line of the aircraft label on the map.

It doesn't matter if the aircraft is a live flight, or a network flight, you will get the same effect on the map.  It's not a case of the Network traffic not having its Flight ID recovered, it's not programmed in by the flight crew then it won't show.

tomahawk35

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »
This is what I mean :
On this "Myflights" pic, most of aircrafts are displaying flight numbers
[img=http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2388/arealocalsa6.jpg]
On this "Network" pic, most of aircrafts are displaying mode S codes
[img=http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7149/areanetworkkk4.jpg]

Yes, I talked about the picture, the radar screen, not the list.
It seems to me that, every time I look at the network, most of aircrafts show their mode S code instead of the flight number. I wonder why ? Of course, I already understood (and sometimes I can see it on Myflights picture) that, when flight number is missing, it is replaced by Mode S code. The reason I asked the question is because I see lot of trafic with Mode S code when displayed by the network and, by the same time, most of trafic displaying flight numbers when displayed by the local reception.

More : yesterday evening, I watched a flight coming from UK to Jersey. When not in range, received via the network (with * on screen), it showed his mode S code. As soon as in range, when received directly, I saw his flight number.

Did you understood now what I mean ? My poor english doesn't help me to explain, sorry...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:39:13 PM »
It may just be that specfic area is getting is low coverage by RadarBoxes at the moment and hence the aircraft are just being picked up only show Mode-S.

Once the data is sent from the RadarBox nothing is changed on the server, we don't remove the Flight IDs. Have a view of the network interface (list) and you should be able to see that the majority of flights have a Flight id. 
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tomahawk35

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »
OK "support", many thanks for the answer, so I would be a matter of poor coverage, understood now.

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »
This is what I mean :
On this "Myflights" pic, most of aircrafts are displaying flight numbers
[img=http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2388/arealocalsa6.jpg]http://
On this "Network" pic, most of aircrafts are displaying mode S codes
[img=http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7149/areanetworkkk4.jpg]

Yes, I talked about the picture, the radar screen, not the list.
It seems to me that, every time I look at the network, most of aircrafts show their mode S code instead of the flight number. I wonder why ? Of course, I already understood (and sometimes I can see it on Myflights picture) that, when flight number is missing, it is replaced by Mode S code. The reason I asked the question is because I see lot of trafic with Mode S code when displayed by the network and, by the same time, most of trafic displaying flight numbers when displayed by the local reception.

More : yesterday evening, I watched a flight coming from UK to Jersey. When not in range, received via the network (with * on screen), it showed his mode S code. As soon as in range, when received directly, I saw his flight number.

Did you understood now what I mean ? My poor english doesn't help me to explain, sorry...

I couldn't see your pictures in your post, but I've corrected the links and they are below

This is my screenshot of your area.  There are quite a few network tracks without Flight ID, however, there are also many with ID.

tomahawk35

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:20:30 PM »
Thanks, Allocator, for your screenshot... I'll try to watch this area more often.

But I think I've understood the reasons now, with the explanation (poor reception) given by AirNav Support.

Sorry about the pictures, I don't know why they did'nt displayed correctly.