AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Database update info  (Read 124044 times)

radarspotter10

Re: Database update info
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »
hi.
I vote for airframes.org great site.
http://www.airframes.org/ i

from pat

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »
I guess you would say its the most accurate!!

No, I wouldn't dream of saying that, and didn't. 

Far better for AirNav to go and ask organisations who have been faced with the same requirements and who have made a free choice in the open market.

I'm surprised AirNav didn't think of that for themselves :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 06:07:59 PM »
hi.
I vote for airframes.org great site.
http://www.airframes.org/ i

from pat
I Second that Pat. Not only is it a great database which people who use it know, you can sometimes view a picture and flight route data of searched aircraft.
airframes.org for me.
Steve.
3.1nm miles south of EGKK westerly App & Dep.

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Are there any toys left in the pram?
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 08:14:05 PM »
We have sent 2 more emails to airframes.org
We hope they reply this time. We are really interesting in solving this problem ASAP.

ACW367

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »
What can be done to avoid these problems? Any suggestions? What is the most accurate aircraft information external database we can rely on?

The short answer is there is no central external database.  Probably the most accurate one currently out there is the Libhomeradar one maintained by Kai-Jens Meyer.  This is the database which is used to Parser the Yahoo Group.  That Yahoo mode S group with its search facility is the best to update new tie-ups as many of the people who report them to the group have access to official information like FlightPlans or ACARS.

The biggest problem is database deletions.  There is no way even with Airframes.org or Libhomeradar for them to keep up to date with aircraft de-registration, return to lessors, PWFU or scrappage.  There is also no real way anywhere on the web to trace GA aircraft of those countries that do not publish national registers.

As a user to keep my data as up to date as I can (especially in regard to deletions), I cross refer 15-20 different websites. The four or five mentioned above, airliner and Bizjet news websites and production lists, online national aircraft registers, spotters logs (especially of the boneyards) etc. I put a whole stack of links on the useful website list thread.

Most of the data gathering on world aircraft (GAS, Airframes, Libhomeradar) is either carried out by hobbyists in their spare time and using user contributions, or web design/consultant types who earn their money from the consultancy and run the databases as an aside. The logos/flags DAT/silhouettes are also being provided by a few dedicated forum volunteers, whose services are not guaranteed (as seen this week with the departure of Ian K).

You guys are absolutely fantastic at the technical inovation and you have a spectacular product with great innovation and future growth potential.  

What I would love to see you bring 'in house', is the database administration side, to become a world leader in the mode S tie-up game.  You have the web resources to build a great server and user fed database for look-ups similar to what GAS and Airframes provide.  

I know you are a relatively small company. But in future I would like to see you bring in a few full time librarian/staty types to analyse the information from your servers. They could cross refer them to the many available open source web information.  They could build up a network of your professional contacts to provide accurate inside information from those with access to official sources. This would then provide the definitive world leading source data, owned in house by Airnav.

We as users could then be presented with regular little .exe file upates for our NavData, that not only update our Navdata with new tie-ups, but also strips out the old de-registered ones.  

Not trying to put people like Rod Bearden out of a 'job' but your new stat team could also create and monitor the logos (I recently stripped out over 300 of them belonging to defunct airlines), flags, silhouettes, airport outlines etc.  

You could even create versions of the .exe that would work with the basestation format for a modest fee.  Wouldn't it be great if in future, SBS users came to the Airnav website to get the up to date information and add-on files and look-up information they need.

Go on Airnav get into the data upkeep business.

:-)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:20:34 PM by ACW367 »

DaveReid

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »
Logged over southern UK this afternoon:

Mode S: 43C23F
Reg: ZR323
Type: Agusta 109E Power
MSN: 11665

Currently populates as Type: Westland WAH-64D Longbow Apache AH1; MSN: DU005/WAH005

MTIA
Dave
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:20 AM »
And who is going to pay for all these new employees??
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 12:20:45 AM »
Dave: you don't need to keep posting one or another database errors. We all know you want to sell your company's services already. :-)

DaveReid

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:22 AM »
Dave: you don't need to keep posting one or another database errors. We all know you want to sell your company's services already. :-)

Sorry, run that one by me again, please !

Read the title of this thread - are you now saying that now you don't even want free-of-charge, gratis, no-strings-attached data that you can use to update your database and thereby ensure that your thousands of sharers see a correct aircraft on their screens instead of a wrong one ?

I'd have thought that was what our American friends call a no-brainer.

And equally we both know that there will be many AirNav users reading this who are happy to use such posted information to update their local databases even if you don't want to apply the corrections to the server purely because of where they have come from - which is, frankly, pathetic.

Feel free to use the information or ignore it, that's your choice.  There isn't going to be a bill in the post :-)

DaveReid

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 09:43:41 AM »
Logged over southern UK a couple of hours ago:

Mode S: A31FF6
Reg: N300GP
Type: Bombardier BD-100 Challenger 300
ICAO: CL30
MSN: 20253

Currently populates as Type: (none); MSN: (none)

This information is hereby placed in the public domain and may be freely used without attribution by any individual or organisation.

MTIA
Dave

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 10:05:24 AM »
Dave, I guess it would help to know your source of information.  Is this based on visual sightings, or something else.  Just trying to assess the accuracy and reliability of the data, that's all.
http://www.airframes.org/reg/n300gp
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:09:58 AM by tarbat »

radarspotter10

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 11:00:42 AM »

Hi all.
We all know Dave the Rave by now, I think people on this site are getting very tired of his selling pitch,  its becoming boring and monotonous, any business man knows not to discuss business in a public forum, send airnav a email and give us all a break Dave.
from pat
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:05:44 AM by radarspotter10 »

Runway 31

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 11:01:34 AM »
http://www.pictaero.com/en/pictures/picture,71830

Picture of N300GP taken 30/1/2010

jannuh

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 11:20:13 AM »
Hi all.
We all know Dave the Rave by now, I think people on this site are getting very tired of his selling pitch,  its becoming boring and monotonous, any business man knows not to discuss business in a public forum, send airnav a email and give us all a break Dave.
from pat
Speak for yourself Radarspotter10, I'd like to have my own opinion, don't need yours!
Thank You!