anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: display radar map rotation  (Read 8070 times)

tglyn

display radar map rotation
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
Hi folks..just a newbie asking my first question..

How do I rotate the display radar map so that I can actualy see what I am seeing for real from my window on the radar...must be simple but just not seen how to do it yet.
A friend has the Kinetic one and it looks perfect when its rotated but lacks lots of the goodies of radar box

Tony

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: display radar map rotation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:50:40 PM »
You can't rotate the RB map display.  You have to use it just like a real ATC controller, with north at the top :-)

p_christen

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:46:36 AM »
that would be very convenient indeed! Missing this badly as well!

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »
Two new forum members posting for the first time.  Welcome to the forum both of you.

Why do you think that real ATC controllers use displays with north at the top?

eggplant

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:27:50 AM »
Why do you think competitors supply s/w that can rotate the display ?
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:34:40 AM »
The graphics system for the map is different in RadarBox is different and more advanced but doesn't allow rotation like that.

We are not going to discuss about competitors software eggplant. This is not the place for that.

We will end will saying that the advantages of RadaBox software outstrip the competitors as our comparison sheet shows.

Rotation of the 3D map is in the 3D Version.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »

Well, I guess real ATC are in a different position.  They're generally not looking out the window to visually locate the aircraft!!!  I, for one, would support the idea of being able to rotate the 2D map.  As an interim workaround, I've create an outline that puts a straight line across my map, aligned with the road I live on.  That gives me a useful visual reference to the alignment of the map to my physical alignment looking out the window.

jannuh

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »
Eggplant: Why do you think competitors supply s/w that can rotate the display ?

AirNav Support: We are not going to discuss about competitors software eggplant. This is not the place for that

So be more positive Eggplant: I see out of my window. sometimes, just F16's from Belgian Airforce or Awacs from Geilenkirchen, they both don't show on my RB screen (just in MyFlights)
You see, I don't need to rotate my RB screen  ;-)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:02:32 AM »
Two new forum members posting for the first time.  Welcome to the forum both of you.

Out of interest, does that also apply to surface movement radars ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

klm

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
a simple solution is to rotate youre monitor.. no just kidding.
But if you have problems with wich way is n/s/e/w/. you can put a second reference point on youre map (just like tarbat say)...

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »

Out of interest, does that also apply to surface movement radars ?

My lot don't use surface movement radar, but we do use a radar repeater display in the VCR (visual control room - tower) and although this has the option to rotate the display so that it matches what you see out of the window, this is rarely done.  As all the Tower controllers are usually radar controllers too, and tower and radar are passing each other traffic information based on what they are seeing on the screen, it would be far to complicated!

Radar - 'MATZ crosser NE to SW to pass 3 miles west of the overhead at 2000ft QFE'

Tower - Now, I'm facing south and the top on my display is south, so I've got to look at the bottom left of my screen to find the crosser, and which side of the overhead is he going ...........

Terre

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 01:30:34 PM »
Ok, Ok. Of course this isn't the most elegant solution, but heh, it's working: change the screen orientation with either the HOTKEY or the SOFTWARE methode.

HOTKEY
Use Ctrl+Alt+[Arrow Key] and the screen will orient to match the arrow key pressed. Ctrl+Alt+Up will set the monitor back to landscape orientation. This should work for Windows XP, Vista and 7 with Intel and ATI graphics adapters; with NVida adapters use the NVdia Desktop Manager to rotate the screen.

SOFTWARE
Fast screen rotation with IROTATE. Download at: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/irotate.shtm

tglyn

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
Hi Folks
Well first of all as I posed the problem and I though as far as I was concerned it could be easily solved, it seems its not to be.

Thanks all those that sounded positive in explaining that it wasn't possible to rotate the display map from within the application.

What I didn't expect was the sort of bitching and politics that some included....whats all that about ? ? ? ?  

Let me say I not in least bit interested what an ATC'r wants or sees in front of his eyes as its whats best for him as thats his job while in his darkened room cut off from the outside world. But as far as I am concerned Radarbox is a magic black box that enables me to enjoy a HOBBY and as part of my HOBBY it would have been nice to have been able to rotate the mapping.

So its a shame but not the end of the world.

Tony

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »
Hi Tony, take heart, give it a few days or a week at most, and your brain will have adjusted and will orientate you without even thinking about it.   It's the same as maps - North's at the top, although some find it easier to rotate the map to work out which way to go - do it myself sometimes, when I'm out on Bodmin Moor and visibility is poor!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

naird

• Beaver Tales
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »
Hi Tony

I have the perfect solution, on my left monitor I have my SBS screen rotated to what is outside my window, I find this very useful, I have RB in front of me when I pull up the screen and Planeplotter on my right screen both with North at the top.  Keeps me amused while I do other things.

I get fed up with some of the silly posts too. Hope it does not turn you off, there are some useful tips to glean from the forum.

Neil