anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pre-Release Final EXE Available  (Read 7596 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Pre-Release Final EXE Available
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »
Another thought.  Would it be worth designing a default, generic, 3D aircraft model for all those aircraft that don't have a specific 3D model.  I find the flat, 2D representation that's use for unknown aircraft really looks bad in a 3D world.

Maybe something the size of a small Airbus, coloured BLUE to indicate that it's a generic 3D model.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 09:38:07 AM »
Sorry, me again.  When I switch back to the 2D map, the map is zoomed out a lot further than it was before I went into the 3D map.  Shouldn't the 2D map retain all it's settings even if you switch to the 3D map and then back?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 09:45:28 AM »
Another observation.  Is Radarbox meant to remember what external KMLs you've selected?  I just restarted Radarbox, and it's forgotten that I selected the UK airspace and global cloud cover KMLs.

Sorry for all the posts.  This is the first time I've really had time to test 3D in depth, so just want to highlight potential problems, its not meant as a criticism of the 3D feature, which is working great.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »
I've ticked the box "Use only 3D aircraft models (if available)

Also select "maximum" for hardware flights. This is my current settings

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 09:52:44 AM »
Another thought.  Would it be worth designing a default, generic, 3D aircraft model for all those aircraft that don't have a specific 3D model. 

see above :)

Once you've set to hardware flights to maximum and your problem will go away, there is  a generic 3D models

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »
Sorry, me again.  When I switch back to the 2D map, the map is zoomed out a lot further than it was before I went into the 3D map.  Shouldn't the 2D map retain all it's settings even if you switch to the 3D map and then back?

Mine returns to its last size/position when I switch back/forth. This was a bug in the earlier beta's but got fixed along the way. Not sure why its not working for you.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 10:02:13 AM »
Once you've set to hardware flights to maximum and your problem will go away, there is  a generic 3D models

Thanks.  Yes, switching to Maximum does show all aircraft with 3D models.

So that's a bug.  The "Use Only 3D Aircraft Models (if available)" tickbox needs to be disabled if Performance isn't set to maximum.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 10:04:40 AM »

Mine returns to its last size/position when I switch back/forth. This was a bug in the earlier beta's but got fixed along the way. Not sure why its not working for you.

Okay, it's definately not working here.  Images of the 2D map before going into 3D, followed by the image when I return back to 2D.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 10:06:47 AM »
I still seem to be suffering from the Preferences window jumping to the background and therefore making the RB interface unresponsive.  Selected 3D View from menu bar, Preferences window appeared for a split second and disappeared.  ow all that happens when I click anywhere on the RB interface is a Windows 'bong' noise.

Got to go out now, I'll try again later.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »
I still seem to be suffering from the Preferences window jumping to the background and therefore making the RB interface unresponsive.

fyi "ALT F4" will close the hidden preferences window and ANRB will be responsive again.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
I managed to get the 3D view locked in full-screen mode.  I think this is what I did:
1. Pressed ESC to goto full screen.
2. Pressed ESC to exit full screen.
3. Pressed the "Exit Full Screen" button.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, switching to Maximum does show all aircraft with 3D models.

I spoke too soon.  I'm still seeing 2D icons for aircraft, even with Performance set to Maximum and "Use only 3D aircraft" ticked.

In this example, the aircraft at the bottom of the screen has a 3D model, but the two aircraft near the top of the screen are 2D representations.

And, if I've selected a smaller size for the aircraft model, shouldn't these 2D representations of an aircraft also reduce in size?

Must say that this version appears to be very stable, although it's pushing my 2.8GHz dual-core pentium to close to 100% a lot of the time.  I guess a better graphics card would help, I'm just using the Radeon X1300 graphics built-in to my Dell PC :(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:57:05 PM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »
Okay, 3D seems to be working okay.  Any suggestions for anything specific that needs to be tested?  Any previous problems that need re-testing?

I've got another couple of hours available for testing.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, switching to Maximum does show all aircraft with 3D models.

I spoke too soon.  I'm still seeing 2D icons for aircraft, even with Performance set to Maximum and "Use only 3D aircraft" ticked.

In this example, the aircraft at the bottom of the screen has a 3D model, but the two aircraft near the top of the screen are 2D representations.

And, if I've selected a smaller size for the aircraft model, shouldn't these 2D representations of an aircraft also reduce in size?

Tarbat,

When the model gets far away from the camera position, it automatically switches back to the 2D icon. If you zoom towards that aircraft, you should see it automatically switch to the 3D model as you get closer. The reason for this is to prevent the plug-in from showing too many models that get too far away to really be useful. This significantly increases performance as at times, hundreds of 3D models could be displayed (which could freeze up your system due to the amount of graphics required). This is similar to the full Google Earth application when you enable 'buildings' and they disappear after you zoom away from them. 

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »
Okay, understood.  So, summary of a day's testing:

1. Need an option to startup in 2D mode.

2. Find a more "user-friendly" way of coping with any Google plugin failures.  Might help to reduce the number of problem tickets!!

3. The "Use Only 3D Aircraft Models (if available)" tickbox needs to be disabled if Performance isn't set to maximum.

4. If you select a smaller size for the aircraft model in preferences, then the 2D icon of an aircraft should also reduce in size so that it is a similar size to a 3D model.

5. When I switch back to the 2D map, the map is zoomed out a lot further than it was before I went into the 3D map.  The 2D map should retain all it's settings even if you switch to the 3D map and then back.

6. Is Radarbox meant to remember what external KMLs you've selected?  I just restarted Radarbox, and it's forgotten that I selected the UK airspace and global cloud cover KMLs.

7. I managed to get the 3D view locked in full-screen mode.  I think this is what I did, but I haven't been able to re-produce it again.
   - Pressed ESC to goto full screen.
   - Pressed ESC to exit full screen.
   - Pressed the "Exit Full Screen" button.

This version has been very stable all day.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:17:23 PM by tarbat »