anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you use plane plotter?

I bought plane plotter
37 (48.1%)
I tried plane plotter
17 (22.1%)
I havent used it
23 (29.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: PlanePlotter  (Read 68844 times)

tornado

PlanePlotter
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:30:27 AM »
Hi,
Just wondering how many people use planer plotter with the Airnav box?

microlight

Re: PlanePlotter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »
Looked at it , not sure what it's supposed to do or how to work/install it so gave it a miss. Unless anyone else can provide details

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:00:33 PM »
Hi,
Just wondering how many people use planer plotter with the Airnav box?

I do. Its multilateration feature gives users the only way to track non-positional aircraft and display them on the map. Full details are provided on the COAA website at:

http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

and there are instructions on installation here:

http://planeplotter.pbworks.com/

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:12:28 PM »
I'm a long time user, supporter and beta tester of PlanePlotter.  It takes a bit of setting up, but it's a very nice add-on for RadarBox and a good stand-alone when I have access to the internet, but not to my RB.

Fenris

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »
Yes, bought PP and have master user so can Mlat too.

bratters

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »
It takes a bit of setting up,

Masterpiece of understatement there my friend. Did for me away completely.

microlight

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:38:02 PM »
Sorry guys - "instructions on installation" - I dont have a degree in quantum physics  , having read the instructions I dont even know how to start...... no wiser .....not for the feint hearted , I'll give it a miss unfotunately !!!

dl1812

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
Trouble is, ANRB is just so easy to set up, and use, that everything else just feels too difficult and clunky for us non-IT types.
Like others on here, I gave it a try, but my lack of IT capability was no match for its installation requirements; all I managed to achieve was a mess.... :o(
This is NOT a criticism of PP; I've seen it used properly and was very impressed; I'm just too thick, sadly....
Dave

jannuh

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:58:47 PM »
You don't need IT capability, just read the help and the wiki.

Maybe you have to read it twice, but everyone can install/configure PlanePlotter.

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
I also found this far to complexe. But it looks a good product and the fact that you can track and view non ADSB aircraft is the great pull to download it. Just have to be a bit switched on !!!.

Steve.
3.1nm miles south of EGKK westerly App & Dep.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 04:26:22 PM »
Well, I consider myself PC literate, but it took even me a couple of hours to realise that I had to tick a box label "SBS1 Raw Data" to get multilateration working with my Radarbox.

Why on earth you have to tell PP that you have an SBS-1 to get it working with a Radarbox, I really don't understand.  There are some serious usability issues around configuring Planeplotter,

bearcat

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »
I don't think it is too difficult to set up in its simplest form

To get mine goingI used

http://www.mantma.co.uk/pp_misc.html

bratters

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »
Whilst reading this thread has not helped me set up Planeplotter, I have been somewhat reassured that I'm not the total thicko I thought I was.

Thanks for that at least, guys  :)

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »
Well, I consider myself PC literate, but it took even me a couple of hours to realise that I had to tick a box label "SBS1 Raw Data" to get multilateration working with my Radarbox.

Why on earth you have to tell PP that you have an SBS-1 to get it working with a Radarbox, I really don't understand.  There are some serious usability issues around configuring Planeplotter,

You don't have to tell it you are using an SBS-1. Unless you have an old version the setting in the Mode-S input box is 'SBS1/RBv3 tcp' and under 'Options/Mode-S receiver' you select 'Airnav Radarbox'. Simple - and it's all in the help file.

The only difficult part of setting up PP for some people is when you want to use mutliateration as a Master User or as a Ground Station (only with SBS) when you have to configure your router to receive data packets from a UDP port. However there is plenty of help available from the user group.

Considering it's the ONLY application in the world allowing you to track non-positional aircraft (it does not even need an RB or SBS for this), its built-in detailed worldwide map, ability to incorporate your own charts, maps, waypoints and navaids and its low one-off cost, it represents superb value for money and is well worth the small effort to get it running. Oh! I forgot to mention the free network - growing every day.

Tom

Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Pinza

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
Not used Planeplotter before, but have just downloaded it and looking forward to making my own mind up as to how hard or easy it is to install - will report back in due course!

Have followed the link that 'bearcat' suggested - useful stuff.

Viking9's comments about incorporating your own maps is what has tempted me to have a play.

Cheers - must go!
Chris