AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you use plane plotter?

I bought plane plotter
37 (48.1%)
I tried plane plotter
17 (22.1%)
I havent used it
23 (29.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: PlanePlotter  (Read 69097 times)

Pinza

Re: PlanePlotter
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2010, 10:51:17 PM »
Tom,

Just saw your message as I was about to a-bed.

Didn't intend to imply you were putting anyone off - to the contrary, with your help, I've managed to get started with PP and am impressed so far - was just trying to encourage others to make a start - without getting bogged down in the technicalities...

Many thanks for your advice as to how to use storage slots A,B,C and D - ie for configurations not maps/charts!

Will follow up your recommended wiki link over the weekend.

Going forward, perhaps we need to have a separate thread for 'advanced' mlat problems etc and another one for PP newbies?

Cheers
Chris

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
Chris,

Good to know I've been a help to you.

The best place for discussion of PP and mlat is on the PlanePlotter group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/

The program author Bev and many other experienced PP users are on there daily and all the latest announcements of new versions and bugs (very few) appear there.

Besides, I have an SBS-1er arriving today - I need one to become a ground station - and I shall be selling my RadarBox, so I shall not be around here for much longer.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

abrad41

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »
Tom

Sad to hear you are selling the Radarbox, but very glad you are getting a SBS-1er and becoming a ground station, will help me with the Mlat on my pp from Mildenhall and Lakenheath area.

Good luck mate with the SBS and speak to you soon.

Andy

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
Keep the posts about RadarBox please, if you want to discuss PP directly use the forum link provided by Viking9.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »
Hi Tom, for what you'll get for the RB, I'd hang on to it as a back up!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Pinza

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »
Chris,

Good to know I've been a help to you.

The best place for discussion of PP and mlat is on the PlanePlotter group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/

Tom

Many thanks Tom

Have just applied for a yahoo groups account and membership to the PP group via the link you provided above.

Look forward to becoming an active member of this forum too.

Chris

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
Chris,

I look forward to seeing you there.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 03:25:46 PM »
One thing that may not be obvious from the description of Planeplotter is that you may find you're only getting updates from their network every 4 minutes.  If, like me, you just look at the screen and don't interact with Planeplotter, then you're seeing network plots that are at least 4 minutes old.  I guess that's all you get for €30.

To quote:
If PP appears to be running unattended (no user interface activity for half an hour or more), the downloads will only occur at four minute intervals, rather than the customary one minute intervals.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/message/31769

Fenris

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
You don't have to tell it you are using an SBS-1.

Yes you do.  To get MLAT to work, you have to tick the "SBS1 Raw Data" box in IO Settings, even if you don't have an SBS-1 to provide raw data!!

MLat works perfectly for me Tarbat, I do not have the SBS-1 Raw Data box ticked in the IO settings, because like you my RB cannot provide it anyway.

Fenris

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 04:40:40 PM »
Incidentally, RB users who are Master Users can contribute to Mlat in the latest version. When they track an aircraft using Mlat that aircraft's icon along with Hex code, c/s, reg, alt, GS, squawk and track is then shown on the maps of other Master Users.

I've read and reread this but I still don't understand - surely RB doesn't provide the data necessary to make any contribution to MLat ?

No, but once it has received the necessary data to plot a positionless target on the map it will then upload this data in the same way as other incoming port 30003 data is uploaded to the PP server. That means that other people who are master users can then see the Mlatted aircraft on their maps.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »

I've read and reread this but I still don't understand - surely RB doesn't provide the data necessary to make any contribution to MLat ?

No, but once it has received the necessary data to plot a positionless target on the map it will then upload this data in the same way as other incoming port 30003 data is uploaded to the PP server. That means that other people who are master users can then see the Mlatted aircraft on their maps.

Now I'm even more confused !

Surely RadarBox doesn't (yet) plot positionless aircraft on the map, nor does it output any positionless aircraft data that PP can use ?

Of course all that will presumably change when RadarBox MLat starts to ship ...
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »
MLat works perfectly for me Tarbat, I do not have the SBS-1 Raw Data box ticked in the IO settings

Already answered here - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4185.msg42280#msg42280

Surely RadarBox doesn't (yet) plot positionless aircraft on the map, nor does it output any positionless aircraft data that PP can use ?

Radarbox outputs positionless aircraft on port 30003, where Planeplotter can use it, and upload that to the server.

Fenris

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »

Now I'm even more confused !

Of course all that will presumably change when RadarBox MLat starts to ship ...

You asked whether RB provided any data helping PP to Mlat, well it doesn't provide raw data of course, but it does provide some data on positionless aircraft which you can then use to identify whether an aircraft you make an Mlat request for is in range of your receiver.

I don't quite know what goes out on port 30003 for non-ADS-B aircraft, but there must be something as some of the positionless targets are shown with my sharer code in PP. I think that when a request is made the server knows who can see a given target and so it knows which GSs to pass the Mlat request to, the results then come back as peer to peer data.

Make any more sense now?

Fenris

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »
MLat works perfectly for me Tarbat, I do not have the SBS-1 Raw Data box ticked in the IO settings

Already answered here - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4185.msg42280#msg42280

Radarbox outputs positionless aircraft on port 30003, where Planeplotter can use it, and upload that to the server.

Yes to both, sorry I'm rather behind on these threads and didn't realise that later replies had clarified things.

On the remote Mlat front, it seems that additional checks are applied to the MLatability of targets before they are Mlatted, that means only GSs can be used because the raw data is part of that process.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »
You asked whether RB provided any data helping PP to Mlat, well it doesn't provide raw data of course, but it does provide some data on positionless aircraft which you can then use to identify whether an aircraft you make an Mlat request for is in range of your receiver.

Yes, exactly.  RB can alert the user to the presence of a positionless aircraft, but any such data that RB sends to PP makes no contribution to the process of MLat-ing said aircraft.

We got there in the end :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour