anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spikes again....  (Read 12978 times)

bratters

Spikes again....
« on: January 14, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »
I've attached a pic showing 3 seperate spikes that have occurred during the past fortnight.
I didn't see any of them actually appear but as far as I know they are not connected to anything electrical like a microwave.

Question: if an aircraft is suddenly detected, however briefly, at the furthest extent of a single spike, would that be sufficient to create the spike itself?

Jeremy

• Jeremy
Re: Spikes again....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 05:30:58 PM »
I would have thought that the RB either hears it or it doesn't so once heard, a spike is drawn.
I don't suppose that this is some sort of ducting of signals at high altutudes and therefore freak propagation?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

bratters

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:34:27 PM »
The proximity of the three spikes might suggest some high level activity in that specific area?

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:52:09 PM »
Hi i have also noted spikes returning to my screen. I have sorta been complaining that since 2012 3.13 my range had appeared to reduce. I could no longer get out to and beyond the max range rings.

Well in the past week I have noted a slow increase or spikes. I had wondered if it was with the ice etc finally having cleared from my external aerial.

John

Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

marsa

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:27:04 AM »
I was spikeless since upgrading to 3.13 but mine started yesterday.  One yesterday and two today, about 100 miles out.

Brad

g0seg

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »
Hi, Spikes? You want spikes? I have spikes!! Been running this polar for the last few days and what with the bad weather, it ain`t helped having spikes. I`m running 3.13 - and i`ve got spikes - who needs more spikes?

g0seg

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »
Hi, have had the attached building up for seven days now. I have compared it with a polar from a previous version of airnav and there are distinct differences. The `spike` issue appears to be a valid comment. With the old 3.3 version running for the same length of time no spikes were noted. The weather pattern was very similar to this week but there are, as you can see on the attachement, some very rough areas of reception. There has been an increase in range in some areas and a loss in others. I would have put it down to natural variations in conditions but i operate on the 23 cems band i have noticed no change in fixed stations i contact twice daily relating to their signal strength. All very puzzling really but to be fair, the system is working well. The software as far as i can tell relating to info etc appears OK. Bi now, Roger - G0SEG

bratters

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »
Unless anyone comes up with anything better, I'm going to stick to my theory of the briefest of contacts made by a single very high flying aircraft at extreme distance.

Fenris

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »
Have a look through MyLog entries for either Lat/Lon recorded in the geographical area of the spike or for small numbers of messages received and see if they belong to an aircraft that appeared in that area.

bratters

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »
Will do next time Brian - don't keep records going back far.

eggplant

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:03:54 PM »
Spikes...  Since I have had my RB I have noted unusual spikes on my polar diagram, and whilst I don't consider them a big problem, they are an irritant. Today I have noted in mylog a cheeky little sausage, a certain Mr. G-JEMB that is reporting whacky positional data. Sometimes he reports nowt, other times silly positions - that correspond to my spikes. I suggest you look out for this little critter ! I will filter him out for now, but in the meantime does anyone know if this course of action will negate his impact on my polar diagram ?
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:10 PM »
Spikes...  Since I have had my RB I have noted unusual spikes on my polar diagram, and whilst I don't consider them a big problem, they are an irritant. Today I have noted in mylog a cheeky little sausage, a certain Mr. G-JEMB that is reporting whacky positional data. Sometimes he reports nowt, other times silly positions - that correspond to my spikes. I suggest you look out for this little critter ! I will filter him out for now, but in the meantime does anyone know if this course of action will negate his impact on my polar diagram ?

ATP G-JEMB (which was re-registered G-OOAF 3 years ago, you need to update your database) never reports position as it's not equipped with ADS-B.

The spurious position reports for some non-ADS-B aircraft are a known RadarBox bug.

Edit:  To be fair, AirNav need to update their database too - their server is also returning the same out-of-date details and photo for that hex code.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:20:15 PM by DaveReid »
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

eggplant

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 10:30:56 PM »
Spikes...  Since I have had my RB I have noted unusual spikes on my polar diagram, and whilst I don't consider them a big problem, they are an irritant. Today I have noted in mylog a cheeky little sausage, a certain Mr. G-JEMB that is reporting whacky positional data. Sometimes he reports nowt, other times silly positions - that correspond to my spikes. I suggest you look out for this little critter ! I will filter him out for now, but in the meantime does anyone know if this course of action will negate his impact on my polar diagram ?

ATP G-JEMB (which was re-registered G-OOAF 3 years ago, you need to update your database) never reports position as it's not equipped with ADS-B.

The spurious position reports for some non-ADS-B aircraft are a known RadarBox bug.

Edit:  To be fair, AirNav need to update their database too - their server is also returning the same out-of-date details and photo for that hex code.

Thanks for the info Dave.  I've attached a screenshot of my Mylog data for the aircraft.  Do you think this is due to my db being out of date ? - or is this the bug to which you referred ?

Eitherway, I guess other users such as me , i.e  with an out of date db could be experiencing spikes due to this ??

Thanks for your advice - I bow to your knowledge !

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:32:38 PM by eggplant »
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »
Thanks for the info Dave.  I've attached a screenshot of my Mylog data for the aircraft.  Do you think this is due to my db being out of date ? - or is this the bug to which you referred ?

Eitherway, I guess other users such as me , i.e  with an out of date db could be experiencing spikes due to this ??

No, there's no connection between the RadarBox bug and your or AirNav's database being out-of-date.

For a more detailed discussion of the issue re some ATPs showing spurious positions on RadarBox see www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3763.msg36963#msg36963
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Fenris

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »
I'm hoping that when the 3D software is finally passed for shipping that Airnav will get down to going through the bug reports and start dealing with the remaining irritating but non-fatal bugs in 3.13, but when that will happen I don't know.