anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Selcal/Squawk and Database  (Read 19375 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Selcal and Squawk.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »
I can't really loose any sleep over the RB database.  It does what I want, although I'm not really that bothered about 100% accurate records - if that is at all possible.  When I see an unusual aircraft, I always cross check against other databases - and these don't always agree - then I do a manual edit if I can be bothered.  If it's not an aircraft that I'm particularly interested in, I won't update the record in the RB database.  This 'detective work' is part of what makes RB so interesting for me and adds to the fun of the 'chase' :-)

I remember when there was no automatic database update and that was a challenge as there were very many newer aircraft not in the RB database.  At least now, the majority of the aircraft are autopopulated and that just leaves those odd ones to sort out.

I know that the database is VERY important to some people and maybe those people would be prepared to pay extra to get this data from somewhere.  I don't know of any one database that is 100% accurate for worldwide aircraft.  GAS and airframes.org do their best, but still these are not completely up to date.

eggplant

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
Dave, you seem to have a bit of an agenda here regarding AirNav databases ........

You mean apart from the fact that I think they are hopelessly out-of-date ?  I make no secret of the fact that I think something needs to be done - clearly all users would stand to benefit from that.

I have to agree with Dave on this one.
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:16:43 AM »
  This 'detective work' is part of what makes RB so interesting for me and adds to the fun of the 'chase' :-)

Allocator.

I have to agree with you on this one about the detective work. Updating the database as you need and when you see an aircraft, which by the looks of things at Gatwick wont happen again because of the snow.

Steve.

3.1nm miles south of EGKK westerly App & Dep.

eggplant

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
I must admit previously I never considered my RB as a puzzle that requires "detective work" in order to work efficiently. However, now that it has been mentioned I have indeed have had lots of fun correcting the inaccuracies. I wonder if Airnav would be so kind to make available a database that has even more errors in it to further my, and others , entertainment ?

Thanks
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

tommyg

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
I know that the Airnav database is an issue for some people here, but to put it into perspective, just try using a flight planning route database. Not a day goes by when I don't have to try a find some way point that has been amended either by name or position somewhere in the world.
Tommyg

abrad41

Re: Selcal/Squawk and Database
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »
Gary

At least now, the majority of the aircraft are autopopulated and that just leaves those odd ones to sort out.

Your database must be completely different from a lot of peoples on here, a couple of months ago I let mine get out of hand, the result was the "AT" field was empty by over 2,000 records and that was just one of the fields, you can imagine what the rest was like.

Andy

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »
I let mine get out of hand, the result was the "AT" field was empty by over 2,000 records and that was just one of the fields, you can imagine what the rest was like.

Andy

Andy

I also had at least 2000 records to update  and it took me a week of full days to fill in the missing gaps. But being a bricklayer I have had time on my hands due to the weather. I now update the missing info in the database every night with help from the GAS database and airframes.org.

Steve.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »
I run an automated process once a week to correct the data, and that typically updates around 50-100 records.  I couldn't manage that manually, so use GAS populate and some database SQL routines to automatically correct the data.
http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/instructions.htm

Maybe Airnav need to follow the same process!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:09:02 PM by tarbat »

abrad41

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
Hi Chris

I do the same as you mate and of cause that is thanks to you, I use Gas and SQL and always make sure the "PT","LK","PT2" and "LK2 fields have the photo details entered too.

Andy

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 05:43:55 PM »
Chris/Andy

I would like to be able to do the same as you gentleman and automaticly update the database. Can a novice set up the SQLite it looks a little bit indepth.

Steve.