anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: get flights from radarbox network in second location without hardware  (Read 7274 times)

kaifone

Hi all

I was trying to receive traffic data from a second location where I only have sw activated with my personal account but without hardware: is it impossible??

Having installed the software and activated it, it doesn't work
I got network traffic time counter going but remains red with no data from network:

is it impossible to receive (network)data from a second pc where only the software is activated (with a valid account)?

I tried the DEMO mode and works but only with the limits in it in the EGLL area

Would not be bad to check from my office the traffic when I am an active subscriber, especially if my area covering (N of italy ) is already covered by others even without my hardware activated.

someone has a clue?

ciao
kaifone

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
Re: get flights from radarbox network in second location without hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Hi all

I was trying to receive traffic data from a second location where I only have sw activated with my personal account but without hardware: is it impossible??
ciao
kaifone

The Radarbox acts as a dongle. It must be attached to the PC for the Radarbox software to operate.

kaifone

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
tks for answering

klm

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »
Would it be a bad idea if there was some kind of test version where potentional buyers can see what they can expect from it.
Ok you can download the demo version with the demo flight, but that's like sex without a partner.
meaning some sort of remote testdrive for a couple of min.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »
kaifone - a solution would be to use Logmein to remotely access the computer which has the RadarBox. I have used the free version and it works fine with RadarBox.

Rod
Rod

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:23:58 PM »
Rod,
How easy is that to set up?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

RodBearden

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
Jeremy - it's very simple indeed - even I did it! Just register for a free account at www.LogMeIn.com/Free

Software will download onto your computer - you set up passwords, and then, when you are out and about, just go to the Logmein site, enter your username, password and access code, and from then on, you're working your home computer - simples!

Rod
Rod

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:35:05 PM »
Are you using XP /Vista/W7? both ends?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

RodBearden

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »
My own machine is XP SP3, and the remote is Vista business ed - but I don't imagine the remote's O/S is very important.

Rod
Rod

Pinza

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:45 PM »
Rod - I'm struggling with LogMeIn - not so simples...!

Software installed successfully on home-based computer.

Tried accessing said computer via my netbook.

Am confused as to what User Name and password I should use on the sign-in process.

I use a password to log on to my main laptop - guess it needs the same password?

But haven't got a clue as to what user name I should be using...

Have got it wrong a couple of times and have been locked out (temporarily) for security reasons!

Any ideas?

Cheers
Chris

PS Appreciate that ANRB on a netbook won't be great (compared to my 22" home experience), but what I'd like to be able to do is this:

a) Get home from work and fire-up ANRB and LogMeIn on home machine
b) Throw my netbook (Samsung NC10) into backpack and relocating to somewhere with greater physical visibility of BHX approach paths (local pub for example...)

And then being able to see what my home ANRB is seeing on my mobile computer without lugging an aerial and ANRB box with me too.

Is this a possibility, once I've sorted out my username/password problems?

RodBearden

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:55:42 AM »
Chris - your idea should work fine!

When you signed up for Logmein you will have set up a username, password, and a long access code (forget exactly what its called).

Logmein probably installed itself on your host computer and there should be an icon in your system tray (next to the clock on the taskbar).

On your netbook, go to the Logmein site and log in with the username and password - I think at that point it will ask you for the access code. Once you've typed that in, you should be shown a list of what PCs are available to you, which should be just your host PC. Click on that and you should be in business.

Note that screen resolutions may be a problem as your home PC will probably have more pixels than your netbook. Both the screens that I work with are the same 22" size, so I don't have that problem.

HTH

Rod
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:08:56 AM by RodBearden »
Rod

Pinza

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
Thanks Rod!

My biggest problem was ascertaining the correct username and password combination.

Was being very dim - and entering my LogMeIn details again when I should have been entering the username/password for my 'host' computer!

Having entered the correct details, I managed to connect 'remote' netbook to 'host' laptop.

Had a few more problems though - that I managed to self-resolve:

1) Needed to download a newer version of Java to make it work with my browser

2) Kept disconnecting after a couple of minutes - suspect this may have been due to sharing the same network connection on both machines. So left my host machine on landline broadband and reconnected netbook via mobile dongle - success!

Other issues included the fact that latest download of the basic/free LogMeIn software gave me a free trial of the Pro version - so hard work to find what I really needed!

Thought I'd have an issue with connecting to the correct screen of my dual-screen setup - no problem - there is an icon to switch which screen you want to see remotely.

Need to play further (especially with zooming into a rather cramped screen - trying to recreate a 22" screen on a small netbook!)  - but look forward to current freeze finishing and being able to sit in beer garden of local pub and physically watch flights on netbook whilst most of the hardware is at home!

Cheers
Chris

jmhayes

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 08:13:54 PM »
You could also run PlanePlotter and have it connect to your running instance of RadarBox at home ... I do this sometimes for both RadarBox and SBS-1.

Pinza

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »
Attach reduced screenshot of my test setup to prove it all works!

Top-left is 15.4" laptop connected via landline Broadband to a scary Live Departure board for Gatwick this evening...

Top right is 22" monitor displaying ANRB local output (powered from above laptop - Windows multitasking at its best!)

Bottom left is Netbook test-running another internet connection (in this case via mobile internet dongle). This is copying output from home (host computer) and remotely switchable between screen outputs.

Having proved the theory that this should work (in this case only a foot away from host machine) should work anywhere in the world with an internet connection - am impressed!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:11:00 PM by Pinza »

RodBearden

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »
Well done, Chris - glad you sorted it in the end!

Rod
Rod